Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 141
  1. #1
    Little Dreamer mitch92's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.01.04
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    40
    Last Online

    12.23.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default If you plan to be disappointed...you will!

    It seems to me that many of the fans are planning to be disappointed by this tour. Before one stage has been set-up or one riff has been played or one squeal has been uttered people are arbitrarily deciding that this tour is going to suck. That is a wonderful attitude to have. What you choose to believe is up to you. If that is your belief then simply stay home, keep your hard earned dollars in your pocket and don't bitch later if the tour gets rave reviews and you chose not to go. Obviously thousands of people disagree with you and have paid good money for tickets to take a chance on this tour. Maybe it will suck and maybe I will go home feeling ripped off...but I doubt it because I plan to have a good time and enjoy the show because I know it may be my last opportunity to see any incarnation of Van Halen play live and I would not want to miss that because good or bad it will be another piece of Van Halen history!

    Others have made their judgements and decided not to support this incarnation of Van Halen because of their impressions of how Mike was treated and they feel that Wolfgang should not be in the band. Yes, I certainly agree that Eddie and Al are no saints and they have not handled the business end of things well, EVER! Drugs and alcohol, cancer, or whatever, Ed has survived and by going out and playing I see it as him making a decision to live while he is still alive. BRAVO! That is the best decision anyone can make in life.

    From what I have heard and read I truly believe that Wolfgang is the catalyst behind this incarnation and tour. Michael Anthony certainly did not waltz up to Ed's house one day and say "let's call up Dave and get together and jam and see if we can get it together for one last kick at the cat and we will all score some big cake out of this!" Mike's role in Van Halen has always been the follower, "Tell me where to show up and what to play and I'll be there". This time, because Michael chose to go out with Sammy and do his own thing, which btw is not a bad choice by any stretch, the brothers took that as him leaving the band. It is no secret that Sammy left Van Halen on bad terms after the last tour and that by siding with Sammy, Mike knew full well he was alienating himself from the brothers. He also probably reasonably thought at the time that that was the end of Van Halen as a recording, touring entity so it looked like a smart move for a guy who wanted to keep playing music. I think saying he was fired is ludicrous because even Michael said himself that he was not contacted by the brothers at all since they went seperate ways after the 2004 tour. Yes, he was obviously snubbed by the brothers but let's face it. It was never going to happen with Mikey.

    Mikey has played his cards perfectly through the media but I actually picture him and Sammy sitting around conniving about what they will say next that will make the bros Van Halen look bad. It is all a big game to them now!

    I simply think that Ed was motivated to make music because he heard and saw something in his son Wolfgang and he wanted to be a part of that. Without Wolfgang's infuence, it would have been the end. I truly believe there is going to be some magic there.

    If the fans go in expecting 1984 again they are going to be disappointed. I will be disappointed if Van Halen comes out and tries to recreate 1984 23 years later. I think what we will get is going to be a musically tight, excited group of guys giving us their best to entertain us and I expect decent production value and a few old tricks to be thrown in to because they know the fans expect it, but for the most part they are living in the present.

    We all know from experience that it could go south at any second; Ed could start drinking or Dave could lose control of his EGO, or Wolfie might choke under pressure, or Al might CUP CHECK Dave, but if they hold it together we know we will be in for a roller coaster of a good time!

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk hain23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.04.00
    Location
    way down yonder in Louisville
    Posts
    7,791
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Likes
    36
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    I'm just going because friends who I haven't seen in about a year want to come up and kick it in Chicago.

    and part of me is holding out hope that it'll suck the first week so they'll come to their senses and call Mike like The Black Crowes did a few years ago when they had to call Steve Gorman to come play drums again then by the time they roll into Chicago it'll be a REAL Van Halen show
    Eat Us and Smile!

  3. #3
    Sinner's Swing! jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.06.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Dusty Mexican Border Lounge
    Posts
    3,619
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

    04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the talk Dad....

    Not sure that Mike and Sam have to come up with things to say about the VH bros to "make them look bad"..........Christ, they changed the album covers...
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

  4. #4
    5150 DoHalen5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.04
    Age
    40
    Location
    Boston North, Mass.
    Posts
    569
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Too many to decide
    Last Online

    10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'll be there in Boston, and I think it will be great. It will be with out Mike, but the show will be great.

    I also don't feel that Wolfgang was the reason this tour is happening, its happening becuase Ed has finally realized, he needs to get out and play. Dave has realized he needs to play with Ed...end of it. Al is always right behind Ed good or bad, and why not get another member of the family to boss around.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

  5. #5
    Unchained BottomsUp72's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.01.04
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    538
    Favorite VH Album

    All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

    All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

    09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Likes
    7
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    I'll be there in Boston, and I think it will be great. It will be with out Mike, but the show will be great.

    I also don't feel that Wolfgang was the reason this tour is happening, its happening becuase Ed has finally realized, he needs to get out and play. Dave has realized he needs to play with Ed...end of it. Al is always right behind Ed good or bad, and why not get another member of the family to boss around.
    I don't think Wolfgang was the reason for this tour happening either. Remember the Billy Sheehan interview recently and was quoted as saying that Ed asked him to join the band and he declined and said it was a bad idea to have Wolfgang up there. My theory is that nobody they asked wanted the gig so he turned to his kid.
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

    BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

    I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

    "You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

    "That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

  6. #6
    Banned! cvh 2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.07
    Posts
    25
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained
    Last Online

    02.23.08 @ 07:42 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitch92 View Post
    It seems to me that many of the fans are planning to be disappointed by this tour. Before one stage has been set-up or one riff has been played or one squeal has been uttered people are arbitrarily deciding that this tour is going to suck. That is a wonderful attitude to have. What you choose to believe is up to you. If that is your belief then simply stay home, keep your hard earned dollars in your pocket and don't bitch later if the tour gets rave reviews and you chose not to go. Obviously thousands of people disagree with you and have paid good money for tickets to take a chance on this tour. Maybe it will suck and maybe I will go home feeling ripped off...but I doubt it because I plan to have a good time and enjoy the show because I know it may be my last opportunity to see any incarnation of Van Halen play live and I would not want to miss that because good or bad it will be another piece of Van Halen history!

    Others have made their judgements and decided not to support this incarnation of Van Halen because of their impressions of how Mike was treated and they feel that Wolfgang should not be in the band. Yes, I certainly agree that Eddie and Al are no saints and they have not handled the business end of things well, EVER! Drugs and alcohol, cancer, or whatever, Ed has survived and by going out and playing I see it as him making a decision to live while he is still alive. BRAVO! That is the best decision anyone can make in life.

    From what I have heard and read I truly believe that Wolfgang is the catalyst behind this incarnation and tour. Michael Anthony certainly did not waltz up to Ed's house one day and say "let's call up Dave and get together and jam and see if we can get it together for one last kick at the cat and we will all score some big cake out of this!" Mike's role in Van Halen has always been the follower, "Tell me where to show up and what to play and I'll be there". This time, because Michael chose to go out with Sammy and do his own thing, which btw is not a bad choice by any stretch, the brothers took that as him leaving the band. It is no secret that Sammy left Van Halen on bad terms after the last tour and that by siding with Sammy, Mike knew full well he was alienating himself from the brothers. He also probably reasonably thought at the time that that was the end of Van Halen as a recording, touring entity so it looked like a smart move for a guy who wanted to keep playing music. I think saying he was fired is ludicrous because even Michael said himself that he was not contacted by the brothers at all since they went seperate ways after the 2004 tour. Yes, he was obviously snubbed by the brothers but let's face it. It was never going to happen with Mikey.

    Mikey has played his cards perfectly through the media but I actually picture him and Sammy sitting around conniving about what they will say next that will make the bros Van Halen look bad. It is all a big game to them now!

    I simply think that Ed was motivated to make music because he heard and saw something in his son Wolfgang and he wanted to be a part of that. Without Wolfgang's infuence, it would have been the end. I truly believe there is going to be some magic there.

    If the fans go in expecting 1984 again they are going to be disappointed. I will be disappointed if Van Halen comes out and tries to recreate 1984 23 years later. I think what we will get is going to be a musically tight, excited group of guys giving us their best to entertain us and I expect decent production value and a few old tricks to be thrown in to because they know the fans expect it, but for the most part they are living in the present.

    We all know from experience that it could go south at any second; Ed could start drinking or Dave could lose control of his EGO, or Wolfie might choke under pressure, or Al might CUP CHECK Dave, but if they hold it together we know we will be in for a roller coaster of a good time!
    One of the best posts since the announcement.........Damn Good!!!!

  7. #7
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,690
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Likes
    1,263
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitch92 View Post
    Mikey has played his cards perfectly through the media but I actually picture him and Sammy sitting around conniving about what they will say next that will make the bros Van Halen look bad. It is all a big game to them now!
    What a fucking joke. Ed and Al look bad BECAUSE of Ed and Al. They removed Mike from the official site, how the hell is that Mike playing a game to make the brothers look bad? Games aren't needed to make the VH brothers look bad, they do an incredible job all on their own. I swear some of you were hit on the head recently. Please seek reality about this situation.

    It's all right to be excited about the tour, but at least post sensible conclusions about Mike's dismissal and the warped sense of reality that Al, and particularly Ed live in.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing! diamondsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.03.00
    Posts
    3,634
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

    So This Is Love?
    Last Online

    12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp72 View Post
    I don't think Wolfgang was the reason for this tour happening either. Remember the Billy Sheehan interview recently and was quoted as saying that Ed asked him to join the band and he declined and said it was a bad idea to have Wolfgang up there. My theory is that nobody they asked wanted the gig so he turned to his kid.
    was that interview posted here?

    This is a part of the puzzle that has been missing for me. I have heard so many different versions of who asked who to do what and when....
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

    "Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

    "Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

  9. #9
    Top Of The World Wolfpack1's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    218
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    all of them
    Last Online

    04.24.12 @ 05:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Mitch 92 hit the nail on the head with this one....

    As much as I'd like to see the 4 original guys...Mike IMO thought it was over for good after 2004 (see recent interviews posted on the site) Like Mitch 92 said, Mike wanted to continue on, and he chose to do so with Sam as he thought VH was done. If I were EVH, I'd say, not to be a cliche, "you can't be in two bands." Think about it people. Mike chose his destiny thinking VH was over. With the bad blood between Ed and Sam, would Ed take Sam's bass player on tour? FUCK NO! I am huge Mike fan, have several autographs form him, from blown speakers he autographed, t shirts, pics, etc. But, I for one as a die hard VH fan, in any incarnation, will not be blind to the facts of recent history. It takes two to fuck things up. Mike, while playing the "high road" card, fucked himself by not thinking....What if ?..... I will be in Charlotte for the ride of a lifetime!

  10. #10
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,690
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Likes
    1,263
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

    Default

    Yeah Mike fucked himself by playing music, while Ed and Al did nothing for the better part of decade. Shame on Mike. He deserved to have his images removed from the official site, that evil bastard! Poor innocent Edward, and his fragile ego.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  11. #11
    Eruption F'nRockstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.01.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    CLEVELAND
    Posts
    1,500
    Favorite VH Album

    fuck
    Favorite VH Song

    panama
    Last Online

    10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

    Default

    Uninformed post. How is anything new? You said Ed wanted to create music? I don't see ANY music being created at all.

    No new songs
    No new album
    Only songs from 1983 and back...

    Sounds old to me. The reason people think this tour is gonna suck is because the last one sucked. Ed played like crap and ruined it. The End.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

    Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

  12. #12
    Top Of The World Wolfpack1's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    218
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    all of them
    Last Online

    04.24.12 @ 05:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yeah Mike fucked himself by playing music, while Ed and Al did nothing for the better part of decade. Shame on Mike. He deserved to have his images removed from the official site, that evil bastard! Poor innocent Edward, and his fragile ego.

    Yes, Mike wanted to play music while Ed and Al did nothing for nearly a decade, and rightfully so....My point is that after the 04' tour, Mike admittedly thought VH was done. Dead and buried. Ed hated Sam, once again, Sam didn't like Ed, once again. VH is done in Mike's mind (again, surmising this from MA interviews recently posted) So Mike aligns himself with Sam for the long haul....then VH which is really EVH and whatever the hell he wants to do, like it or not, decides to give it one more go with the frontman by which all frontmen have been measured by...Again, I stick to my ascertion that I say, why would Ed take Sam's bass player on tour?

  13. #13
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Age
    42
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Posts
    5,080
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm disappointed right now and have been for the last 11 years.
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk hain23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.04.00
    Location
    way down yonder in Louisville
    Posts
    7,791
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Likes
    36
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    After what Mike saw during the 04 tour he would have been crazy to think that it was NOT over

    and let me add something else that I've said over the years around here--this all could have been avoided if Dave had never suggested calling the band "Van Halen"
    Eat Us and Smile!

  15. #15
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,690
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Likes
    1,263
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpack1 View Post
    Again, I stick to my ascertion that I say, why would Ed take Sam's bass player on tour?
    Now I know you're kidding.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08.14.07, 10:18 AM
  2. A Peace plan. I can support this plan.
    By OLO in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10.02.06, 08:43 AM
  3. Plan USA
    By janthraxx in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01.09.06, 12:57 PM
  4. To all those disappointed in Dave
    By dj88 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04.05.02, 09:53 AM
  5. disappointed with official dlr site...
    By esquiretoo in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07.18.00, 06:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •