Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Air Force probes mistaken transport of nuclear warheads

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Six nuclear warheads on cruise missiles were mistakenly carried on a flight from North Dakota to Louisiana last week, prompting a major investigation, military officials have confirmed.

The plane took the cruise missiles from Minot Air Force Base to Barksdale Air Force Base for decommissioning Thursday, the Air Force said.

"This is a major gaffe, and it's going to cause some heads to roll down the line," said Don Shepperd, a retired Air Force major general and military analyst for CNN.

The warheads should have been removed from the missiles before they were attached to the B-52 bomber, according to military officials.

The crew was unaware that the plane was carrying nuclear weapons, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the extraordinary sensitivity and security surrounding the case.

The mistake was discovered after the plane's flight to Louisiana.

Minot Air Force Base is in north central North Dakota and Barksdale Air Force Base is in northwest Louisiana near the Texas border.

Lt. Col. Ed Thomas said that while the military does not publicly discuss nuclear weapons procedures, in this case the Air Force decided to acknowledge the incident in order to reassure the public.

"The public was never in any danger," Thomas said.

But officials also said the incident was a major breach of security rules surrounding nuclear weapons. One Air Force official said that he could not recall anything similar happening.

The Air Force announced that all flights of fighters and bombers in the United States will be halted on September 14 to allow for a review of procedures.

Because the incident involved nuclear weapons, it was serious enough that President Bush was notified, according to military officials. Once the mistake was discovered, the Air Force immediately began an inventory of all of its nuclear weapons, a military official said.

Maj. Gen. Douglas Raaberg, director of Air and Space Operations at the Air Combat Command in Langley, Virginia, has been ordered to investigate how the nuclear-tipped missiles were flown across the country without anyone knowing, officials said.

One officer already has been relieved of duty, and several others "decertified" from handling nuclear weapons, officials said.

A military official told CNN there was no nuclear risk to public safety because the weapons were not armed. Officials believe that if the plane had crashed or the missiles somehow had fallen off the wings, the warheads would have remained inert and there would have been no nuclear detonation, though conventional explosive material in the warhead could have detonated.

Military officials also say the missiles could not have been launched because of multiple security procedures required to be enacted before any launch would have been authorized.

Shepperd said the U.S. had agreed in a Cold War-era treaty not to fly nuclear weapons. "It appears that what happened was this treaty agreement was violated," he said.

He agreed with military officials that the situation could not have caused a nuclear detonation, but added, "Any time you have nuclear material on board, if the airplane crashes, nuclear material can be spread in the immediate area of the crash, so you get radioactivity in the immediate area of the crash."

"This is serious business but it was not dangerous business," Shepperd said.

The story was first reported by the Army Times, a privately published newspaper.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would have given serious cash to see the look on the faces of the crew when they learned that they were loaded up with the serious bang-sticks.

You know it was some NCO who noticed and asked "Hey, uh, why are you guys carrying nukes?". Then the pilot says "We're carrying WHAT?"

I had a friend who crew aircraft out of Iceland. One day they had to load a Nuke onto an F-4. A they were raising the bomb up to the wing-mount the cart slipped and scatched the mid-scetion of the bomb casing. The Senior officer let out a cry much like a cold-wet cat.

Because this involves nukes we'll never get all the details but they'll bring in special fans for all the incoming doo-doo.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Oops.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

How come other countries aren't lynching the USA for Weapons of Mass Destruction?

Oh right. It's only done under unconfirmed speculation....
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 791 Times in 380 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by h*bunter View Post
    How come other countries aren't lynching the USA for Weapons of Mass Destruction?

Oh right. It's only done under unconfirmed speculation....

Everyone should know by now that you can have them only if WE say you can have them. And even if you don't have them then we just might say that you do, and the rest is history. Goes without saying that we can have all the WMD we want. Ahhh sweet liberty.

You'd better watch out Al-Qanada! You guys are looking pretty darn suspicious these days.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Everyone should know by now that you can have them only if WE say you can have them. And even if you don't have them then we just might say that you do, and the rest is history. Goes without saying that we can have all the WMD we want. Ahhh sweet liberty.

You'd better watch out Al-Qanada! You guys are looking pretty darn suspicious these days.
    imagine if that plane went down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There's a hydrogen bomb in a swamp near Seymour Johnson AFB in eastern NC. And there was also some sort of incident where a piece went into the Savannah River.

Don't lynch me if I don't have the exacts here.

Axx, have you ever read about either of these incidents? The AF one was a bomber crash in the early 60's, but I've read three different stories over the years, just basic newspaper stuff. One detailed that there something like 8 safety mechanisms on the H-bomb and 7 failed or some shit.

Anyway, there's no telling how often these blunders occur.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

I heard about this earlier today. So, I have 6 live nukes sitting about 5 miles from me now, eh?

Gonna see if I can talk to my contacts over there at Barksdale, and see if they'll let me have one to take down to the next TLW, so we can set it off on Saturday Night. We'll all get in Ed/KT's pool, drinks in hand, and watch the fireworks!

HH<-----Hey KT, ask Ed if I can bring the nuke, next year------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by namedmydaughterHALEN View Post
    imagine if that plane went down!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think nukes have to be triggered to blow their core
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The crew was unaware that the plane was carrying nuclear weapons
    Learn to stop worrying...

Last edited by Down In Flames; 09.06.07 at 11:56 AM.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    So? Say the plane went down and some backwoods hicks, upon finding the wreckage, decided the "big shiny metal doodads" would look just great if propped up next to, or were even used to improve, the shithouse?

Swell, a whole generation of inbred, two-headed doofuses wandering the landscape, giving off a lime green "glow in the dark" phosphorescence and answering to the name of "Cletus".

Last edited by chefcraig; 09.06.07 at 11:52 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx View Post
    find it hard to believe that they would not detonate upon impact in a plane crash. thats one hell of a shell casing. the impact, the heat. i say mushroom cloud!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Our nuclear warheads won't detonate unless they're armed. You can pound them with a sledge hammer and the nuclear reaction will not initiate, the high-powered explosives will go off though and blow you to kingdom come.

Here's a list and explaination of all US accidents involving nuclear/atomic weapons:

http://www.cdi.org/Issues/NukeAccidents/accidents.htm
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor