Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default "Piece of my heart"

I love this on "Standing Hampton". What a way to end one of Sammys great albums, if not his greatest album. Sams pretty good at covers too, such as "Young girl blues" etc, but this is up with his best stuff ever. It even has a sax solo in it, which is rare for a Sammy tune. Everytime I play it, I turn it up LOUD!!!! Its in my fave Sammy solo stuff.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    I love this on "Standing Hampton". What a way to end one of Sammys great albums, if not his greatest album. Sams pretty good at covers too, such as "Young girl blues" etc, but this is up with his best stuff ever. It even has a sax solo in it, which is rare for a Sammy tune. Everytime I play it, I turn it up LOUD!!!! Its in my fave Sammy solo stuff.
    good tune. I woner if he released this as a single, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

03.13.16 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

it certainly was out as a single, got it in the house amongst my stuff. Seen it in couple of different cover sleeves here in the UK, turns up in 2nd hand record places at times.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

03.13.16 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

In fact I've just realised I have a picture of it - I've got it on picture disk

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

I got to say...y'all know I'm a cover tune fanatic...and y'all know that I'm a Dave fan...

..in reference to Sammy...I think his lyrics...are horrible...so, it would be a good move if he did more cover tunes...all cover tunes...but this one missed the mark...I used to live in St. Louie...a Sambo town..and I heard this cut a few times over the years...Lord, I hate it...a better Janis "cover" in my opinion...is all them versions of Summertime(Ize know she didn't write it...but Lord have mercy, she might have recorded one of the definitive versions of the tune...) Diamond Dave would work up...as an intro to Ice Cream Man...

...but in the spirit of playing nice in the sandbox...and being a good Jinkstah..."Good Rockin' Tonight," by Montrose ain't bad...
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 09.06.07 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Have yous heard de news nah nah yez yez

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons View Post
    I got to say...y'all know I'm a cover tune fanatic...and y'all know that I'm a Dave fan...

..in reference to Sammy...I think his lyrics...are horrible...so, it would be a good move if he did more cover tunes...all cover tunes...but this one missed the mark...I used to live in St. Louie...a Sambo town..and I heard this cut a few times over the years...Lord, I hate it...a better Janis "cover" in my opinion...is all them versions of Summertime(Ize know she didn't write it...but Lord have mercy, she might have recorded one of the definitive versions of the tune...) Diamond Dave would work up...as an intro to Ice Cream Man...

...but in the spirit of playing nice in the sandbox...and being a good Jinkstah..."Good Rockin' Tonight," by Montrose ain't bad...

bll, you dont' like sam, that's cool I can live with that.....have you ever heard the connection from montrose's 2nd record? it's pretty cool....

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    bll, you dont' like sam, that's cool I can live with that.....have you ever heard the connection from montrose's 2nd record? it's pretty cool....
    Not my speed...but lemme aggsk you experted opinion here one time nah nah yezz...wella L'aw'd..."Waitin' For The Bus,"...which version, Dave or Sambo's? 76 spirit or 93?? Or whatever year. Live tops nonstops.
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons View Post
    Not my speed...but lemme aggsk you experted opinion here one time nah nah yezz...wella L'aw'd..."Waitin' For The Bus,"...which version, Dave or Sambo's? 76 spirit or 93?? Or whatever year. Live tops nonstops.
    I'd have to break out the boots to talk about that, all my stuff is on cassette. I'm more familiar with the Sam version...I MIGHT have the 76 version on my IPOD I just put a bunch of unreleased stuff on it a couple of weeks ago. I think there's a couple of different version of Sam doing it with them....one from Cabo and another one from the RHRN tour...hmmm. I'll have to get back to you on that.

I think Dave is VERY good at doing cover songs for the most part, taking an obscure song like Ice Cream Man and Tabacco Road is really cool. Sam's thing has never really been about cover songs, he's really only done a couple that I can think of off the top of my head. I do like Apolitical Blues and I know you can't stand it, I think it's pretty damn cool that all 4 of them got in a room with a mike hanging in the middle and just belted it out, the more I hear it the more I like it.....different strokes....

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.24.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I love this song. You can really hear the Stones influence throughout the song and I just dig the way Montrose did it. The thing I like most is the patience and build up in the way the song progresses. Yet, when you expect the song to just blow up and jam even harder it pulls back and makes you want more from it. This song defines classic. I don't think it would matter who sang it as long as they stuck the basics.
    If it ain't red then paint it!