Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default German Police Arrest 3 Men Plotting Attack on U.S. Military Base and Frankfurt Airpor

BERLIN — Three men were arrested on suspicion of planning attacks on the U.S. military base in Ramstein and Frankfurt's international airport, the German defense minister said Wednesday.

"There was an imminent threat," Franz Josef Jung told Germany's ARD broadcaster.

He declined to elaborate, but the Sudwestrundfunk public broadcaster said two of the suspects had German citizenship while the third was Pakistani. It also said the men were arrested Tuesday evening and were close to carrying out the attacks.

Thousands of U.S. servicemen and women are stationed with their families in Germany, which hosts key installations including the Ramstein Air Base, Landstuhl Regional Medical Center and Grafenwoehr training center in Bavaria.

The Ramstein base is in the western state of Rhineland-Palatinate and serves as a major transport hub for the U.S. military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Frankfurt's international airport is continental Europe's busiest.

German and U.S. officials have warned of the possibility of a terrorist attack, and security measures have been raised, they said.

Germany has not experienced a major terrorist attack in recent years, but worries have risen since July 2006, when two suitcase bombs planted on passenger trains malfunctioned. Several suspects are on trial in Lebanon, and a Lebanese man has been charged in Germany.

Additionally, the leaders of the Sept. 11 terror attacks were based for a time in Hamburg.

German federal police in March said Germany faces an increased threat of terrorism because its military takes part in missions in Afghanistan and elsewhere. German troops do not serve in Iraq, but German ships carry out anti-terrorist patrols off the Horn of Africa and German reconnaissance jets were recently sent to Afghanistan, where ground troops are stationed in the north of the country.

The Germany report came after Denmark's intelligence agency announced Tuesday that authorities had arrested eight men with alleged links to leading senior Al Qaeda terrorists, thwarting a bomb plot.

Denmark was the focus of Muslim anger and deadly protests last year after a newspaper printed 12 cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. But Jakob Scharf, head of the PET intelligence service, said the foiled terror plot was not connected to the prophet cartoons or Denmark's involvement in the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq.

The suspects — six Danish citizens and two foreigners with residence permits — had been under surveillance for some time when they were arrested.

"With the arrests, we have prevented a terror attack," Scharf told reporters in Copenhagen. He did not identify the target.

The suspects, aged 19 to 29, were not identified but Scharf described them as "militant Islamists with connections to leading al-Qaida persons." All eight were arrested without incident in raids on 11 locations in and around Copenhagen, including the Ishoej suburb and the Noerrebro district of the capital, authorities said.

The suspects are of Afghan, Pakistani, Somali and Turkish origin, Scharf told reporters. He said Danish investigators had worked with "several foreign cooperation partners" before making the arrests.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

BERLIN, Germany (CNN) -- Three terror suspects held in Germany planned to carry out "imminent" and "massive" bombs attacks on a U.S. air base and Frankfurt's international airport, according to officials.

They were planning massive attacks," Federal Prosecutor Monika Harms said.

"As possible targets ... the suspects named discotheques and pubs and airports frequented by Americans with a view to detonating explosives loaded in cars and killing or injuring many people," Harms told a news conference on Wednesday.

The suspects, two Germans aged 22 and 29 and a 29-year-old Turk, received terrorist training in Pakistan and had close ties to al Qaeda, according to Jorg Ziercke, president of Germany's Federal Criminal Investigation Office.

Ziercke said the group was united by a "hatred against American citizens" as it planned attacks against Frankfurt airport, a popular international travel hub, and Ramstein air base, a major transit point for the U.S. military into the Middle East and Central Asia.

Harms said the group had amassed 680 kg (1,500 pounds) of hydrogen peroxide to make bombs that would have been among the biggest yet on German soil. Possible scenarios would have been car bombings used in simultaneous attacks.

Officials said the hydrogen peroxide -- the same chemical used in the London transport bombs that killed 52 people and four terrorists in 2005 -- could have produced a bomb with the explosive power of 540 kg of TNT.

"This would have enabled them to make bombs with more explosive power than the ones used in the London and Madrid bombings," Ziercke said at a joint news conference with Harms.

Ziercke said anti-terrorist police seized two of the suspects at a holiday home in central Germany on Tuesday. A third escaped through a bathroom window, but was caught nearby.

The three suspects appeared before judges in a closed court in Karlsruhe after being flown in by helicopter, court officials told The Associated Press.

"This is a good day for security in Germany," Harms said.

German Interior Minister Wolfgang Schauble said the arrests showed the country's security forces were effective.

"These were very dangerous, highly professional terrorists," he said, but addded that "the danger has been headed off at the right time."

Wolfgang Bosbach, a top legislator for German Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats, said the suspects had been under observation by security officials for a long time."

Bosbach told N24 television an attack could have occurred "in a few days," possibly to coincide with the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States and an upcoming parliamentary debate on whether to extend troop levels in Afghanistan.

"We are in a highly sensitive period," he added.

The German terror arrests came a day after Danish police arrested eight "militant Islamists," accusing them of storing "unstable explosives."

At U.S. European Command in Stuttgart, Capt. Jeff Gradec said German authorities had alerted them of a possible terrorist threat to American installations, but not specifically Ramstein.

Gradec said EUCOM had no plans to raise its force protection levels in light of the plots.

Ramstein Air Base is located in western Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate state and is about 125 kilometers (75 miles) southeast of Frankfurt.

Authorities in both Germany and the United States have warned of the possibility of a terrorist attack, and security measures had been raised, according to an AP report.

However CNN's International Security Correspondent Paula Newton reported that intelligence officials have been calling for more cooperation to combat terror plots in Europe, in particular the faster transfer of information between different countries.

Europe is at high risk, officials say, due not only to the Iraq war, but also the NATO mission in Afghanistan, to which many European countries contribute, she said, adding that the Muslim population in Europe is beginning to feel more alienated than it has done in previous decades. "This brings Europe to the battleground," Newton said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Oh my Go! There's a terroris at the airpor! Everybody ru!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

Have too much to drink last night?
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post

Have too much to drink last night?

I didn't know my wife was a Linker! Hi, honey. We're out of milk. Get some while you're at the store, would you?

When this posts, I will be starting my 17,280th hour without a drink. So, I got that going for me.

Spent the morning drinking espresso and shampooing the pee spot the old dog left on the hallway carpet for me. My posting skills might be somewhat affected by caffiene and fresh evergreen scent.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Gotcha! It's all good!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I don' ge i ! Wha th fuc ar yo tryin t sa ?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

i think hes trying to say that German Police Arrest 3 Men Plotting Attack on U.S. Military Base and Frankfurt Airpor

but i could be wrong.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.