Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Who is still on the fence regarding buying VH concert tickets?

I seem to think that there a lot of people here who are just like me. One minute I am thinking, "Wow, I need to get some tickets to this VH/DLR tour." The next minute I am thinking, "That is a fucking stupid ass idea."

Are any of you thinking that way? I mean, I know there are a lot of people on this forum who are dead-set on seeing Van Halen on this tour. However, I know there are a lot of you who are thinking just like I am.... "Let's see, should I buy tickets for this tour and hope that Ed and Dave are not strangling each other by the time they get to my city?" Let's face it, DLR can say one thing now... but when he hits the stage, he will become Diamond Dave. God only knows what kind of drama will unfold when that day arrives.

At this point I see the Saint Louis show as a roll-of-the-dice. It's 16 shows into the tour, and hasn't gone on sale yet. Should I buy tickets for it... or will there be any "Me Wise Magic" left by then? Or will Eddie be busting new Fender guitars over Wolfgang's ass?
    Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 09.05.07 at 01:52 AM.

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Mike was involved, I'm there no matter what. If Mike's not involved (which he isn't), Van Cheesedicks can suck it. It's black and white to me. So to answer your question. No, I'm not on the fence.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not on the fence. I'm going. I'm not blind to the fact that what has happened with Mike stinks. My justification all along has been that one never knows when this could be the last time, given the past decade with this band (alcohol, cancer, MIA). Now if reviews/videos indicate the early shows suck, I'll unload my Indy tix as best I can. But, in hoping it will be entertaining, I'll be there if only to see what remains of the band and hear songs that have meaning to my history.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Yes, I'm on the fence. It's a picket, too. Ouch!

I just gave Rush over $350 of my money two weeks ago, counting three tickets and merch, before they even played a note. Why? Because I was certain it would be a professionally-done great show. It was. And I wasn't sitting in the audience before the show worrying about whether Geddy Lee was backstage destroying his dressing room and rubbing lemons in his eyes.

Van Halen comes to my town on October 14th, and I'm not giving them a dime until I see some reviews of the first few shows. I'm sorry, but I just don't trust them enough to fork over a bunch of money without some kind of assurance that I won't get screwed.

I don't care whether Dave can still hit the high notes, or whether Eddie is as fast as he ever was, or whether the backing vocals are on tape. If they go out there and give it all they've got, that's more than good enough. But I'll be damned if I'll spend a couple hundred dollars to watch a drunk old man phone in a lousy performance because he's got better things to do than play a good show.

So, I'll stay on the fence for a while longer. My butt hurts, but it's better than jumping off the fence into a pile of horseshit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My wife and I had the 5 star package for the 2004 tour. It was great to see the soundcheck, the backstage stuff, and to drink a few beers with other linkers. It wasn't great to see Eddie drinking wine in a Gatorade bottle during soundcheck, watching Ed lie on the stage floor and make "noise" with his guitar, or to watch Ed forget songs or play different songs than the rest of the band.

Fortunately, Alex, Mike, and Sam held the show together and I didn't feel completely ripped off.

As for this tour, I've seen DLR with Sammy and solo. I don't think he has it anymore. I seriously doubt Eddie has the magic either. I don't want to spend the dollars on a semi-reunion/non reunion tour, only to be completely disappointed or to watch one of my heroes make a mockery of himself.

Is the absence of Mike an issue? Yes. Is Eddie's state of mind an issue? Yes. Is Wolfgang an issue? No. Is the chance that my favorite band might cause more harm to their image if the continue with this tour an issue? Yes.

Therefore, my fence, although not picket, is extremely small and I just jumped off of it. I'm going to Graceland on Oct. 28th!!
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not on the fence. Not going. Whatever EVH was, he isn't anymore. With no new music and not even the entire lineup I don't see any point in wasting the cash. There are a lot of musicians just as talented and still functioning that are more deserving of my cash.

If they ever decide to give up the cover band thing I might consider it if the material is solid. They are barely a step up from the Atomic Punks as is. VH4 covering VH1.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    Not on the fence. I'm going. I'm not blind to the fact that what has happened with Mike stinks. My justification all along has been that one never knows when this could be the last time, given the past decade with this band (alcohol, cancer, MIA). Now if reviews/videos indicate the early shows suck, I'll unload my Indy tix as best I can. But, in hoping it will be entertaining, I'll be there if only to see what remains of the band and hear songs that have meaning to my history.
    Don't worry when if this tour blows up like it did with Sam you can probably expect a reunion with Gary in about 5 years. Like you I am going because I love the music and it may be the last time you see them on stage. Atleast that is what I thought in 2004.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

....i'd be a lot more excited about the tour if they were promoting an album. i'd feel like wolfgang was more a deserving part of the band than it stands now.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not going. They tried to perform a retroactive abortion on Mike.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Moving to the 2007 tour forum..
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

I'm going. I just don't know rather to buy tickets on ebay or wait to take my chances on a scalper.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

I was all ready to take a road trip to Kansas City, but after reading the Mikey Interview In Roling Stone, I think I will wait till they hit Dallas

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I am definitely on the fence here, leaning more towards not going at all. Why do I want to see a washed up Dave screeching out the lyrics? I've seen boots of him live and he is awful, to put it mildly. Sure, he was great in Oakland, but for his greatness in Oakland, there are countless ones where he was pitful. Then of course, there's the Ed factor-how drunk will he be, will he be pissed at the world, etc. Then there's the money issue-$800 for a 5 star, give me a break. No new music, same old same old, and you want me to pay $800 to see this? What would I get in return, 2 stars who are too high and mighty to deal w/the fans? At least in 04, Sam and Mike were cordial and friendly day in and day out, while it was anyone's guess as to which Ed would show up. I think I'll just check out the shows online.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I'm on the fence, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'll pass. These would be the reasons in order:

1 - No Mikey
    2 - The way the brothers treated Mikey
    3 - The $
    4 - EVH being nuts
    5 - Knowing that this will not compare to the last time I saw CVH

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I am going to one show for sure. I am just a year or two too young to have seen Dave & Ed on stage together, so I won't miss this tour. What really sucks is that Mike won't be there, and those songs still won't sound quite right. I will never hear those classic songs live, the way God intended them to sound!

My friend has a pair of tickets for another show, and I am not so sure about that. I, too, will wait to hear some reviews before I decide about forking out the cash for another show.

*sigh*
    Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007