Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Aviation record-holder Steve Fossett missing

Aviation record-holder Steve Fossett missing

(CNN) -- World aviation record-holder Steve Fossett is missing and a massive search is under way in western Nevada, a Nevada aviation spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Fossett holds the record for the first solo, non-stop, non-refueled airplane trip around the world, set in the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer in 2005.

A year later he used GlobalFlyer again to break the world's flight distance record, traveling more than 26,000 miles in 76 hours.

In 2002, he achieved the first solo balloon flight around the world, traveling 20,626 miles in 14 days.

Mission Public Information Officer Civil Air Patrol spokeswoman Maj. Cynthia S. Ryan told the Nevada Record-Courier that three crews were in the air looking for Fossett's blue and white aircraft and that more were on the way.

"We will be launching more shortly," she told the newspaper, and the search area covers hundreds of square miles of rugged terrain.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Search continues for aviation adventurer Steve Fossett

(CNN) -- Although there were no signs of missing aviation adventurer Steve Fossett Tuesday evening, an official leading the rescue said she remained optimistic.

Aviation record-holder Steve Fossett is missing and a search is under way.

Maj. Cynthia S. Ryan of the Civil Air Patrol said Fossett, who has been missing for a day, once walked 30 miles to get help after making a forced landing.

But Ryan noted the challenge rescuers are facing as they comb the high desert region, which is covered with sagebrush and hides deep ravines.

Rescuers are focusing on 600 square miles. "It's a very large haystack," she said. "And an airplane is a very small needle. No doubt about that."

The Civil Air Patrol has 10 aircraft that will be searching until dusk for Fossett, who has been missing since Monday afternoon, she said. The search will resume Wednesday at 7 a.m. (10 a.m. ET).

Fossett, 63, was in a single-engine plane when he took off at 9 a.m. (noon ET) in good flying conditions from hotel magnate Barron Hilton's Flying M Ranch, Ryan said.

He had planned to return to the ranch, which is about 30 miles south of Yerington, Nevada, at noon (3 p.m. ET). The search for him began about six hours later, Ryan said.

Fossett did not file a flight plan, which is not required on flights using visual navigation.

Fossett is the first person to solo around the world in a balloon, and has broken numerous other flight records.

When he left, he had four to five hours of fuel for flight, said Ryan.

"Steve took off toward the south and was going to fly southbound, looking around for some dry lake beds for some plans he had for the future," Ryan said.

Those plans, she said, involved testing a vehicle in an attempt to set a world land speed record.

Ryan said authorities are analyzing information from radar intelligence to try to track Fossett.

Helicopters and planes from Naval Air Station Fallon, in Fallon, Nevada, the Nevada Air National Guard and the California Highway Patrol are helping in the search. Video Watch CNN's Miles O'Brien, who is a pilot, describe the search »

Fossett was flying in a single-engine, Citabria Super Decathlon -- a plane capable of aerobatics -- with tail number N240R, according to CAP. Fossett, though, had no parachute, which is required for aerobatics. See where Fossett took off »

There has been no sound detected from the plane's emergency locator radio beacon, which goes off if there is a hard impact.

The aircraft, with serial number 635-80, was manufactured by Bellanca, and is registered to the Flying M Hunting Club Inc. in Yerington.

"Steve is a tough old boot. I suspect he is waiting by his plane right now for someone to pick him up," predicted Sir Richard Branson, president of Virgin Atlantic, in a written statement. "The ranch he took off from covers a huge area, and Steve has had far tougher challenges to overcome in the past. Based on his track record, I feel confident we'll get some good news soon."

Virgin Atlantic sponsored the GlobalFlyer, which Fossett flew in 2005 during the first nonstop, solo flight around the world without refueling.
    Don't Miss

A year later, he used GlobalFlyer again to break the world's flight distance record, traveling more than 26,000 miles in 76 hours, 45 minutes from Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, to Bournemouth, on the coast of southern England.

He made an emergency landing during that flight after electricity on the aircraft failed over Shannon, Ireland. His goal had been to land at Kent International Airport in Manston, England.

In 2006, Fossett piloted the plane to its new home, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia.

In 2002, he achieved the first solo balloon flight around the world, traveling 20,626 miles in 14 days.

He's credited with 115 world records or world firsts, and holds official world records in five sports, according to his Web site.

CNN.com interviewed Fossett last year after he published a book about his life's passion for breaking world records, titled "Chasing the Wind."

Asked which of his record-breaking feats was his personal favorite, he said, "The first solo around-the-world balloon flight. We had to really upgrade the technical capability of balloons and the flight was much more difficult than I'd ever imagined it would be. I tried six times over the course of six years before succeeding."

"I think I'm a risk averse person, which might sound very strange because of the sports I'm involved in," Fossett said, in response to a question about whether anything scares him. "What I do is try and reduce the risk. I don't do any of this for the thrills. I'm doing them for the personal achievement."

Asked how long he'll keep going, Fossett answered, "I imagine that when I'm 80 years old and sitting in a wheelchair that I might do something like take a remote control airplane and try and fly it around the world. I plan to be setting and breaking records indefinitely."

The aviator was in Sparks, Nevada, northeast of Reno, in August, preparing a jet racer to break the land speed record at Bonneville Flats in northwest Utah.

Fossett was born in Jackson, Tennessee, but grew up in California, where he attended Stanford University, graduating with a degree in economics in 1966.

Two years later, he earned an MBA at Washington University in St. Louis and became a successful commodities broker, eventually launching the Chicago-based securities company Lakota Trading in 1980.

He married Peggy Viehland in 1968. The couple have no children.
    advertisement

His interest in adventure started early. As a Boy Scout, he grew up climbing the mountains of California. "When I was 12 years old I climbed my first mountain, and I just kept going, taking on more diverse and grander projects," he told CNN in the 2006 interview.

Fossett fueled his drive for adventure with the money he made from Lakota Trading
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Didn't a judge already declare him dead?
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoBandit View Post
    I hate to say this, but what a waste of time and money.
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

www.myspace.com/patvh5150

http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:49 PM
    Liked 6,832 Times in 3,574 Posts

Premium Member

I thought I saw Steve in an episode of LOST this season.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pgaugh5150 View Post
    I hate to say this, but what a waste of time and money.
    Not at all. They're volunteers and it's beautiful country to hike around in. I'd go if I could.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Steve Fossett is the new Amelia Earhart. People will be looking for his remains until their found.

Or not found.

Favorite VH Album

fair warnings
    Favorite VH Song

unchained, little guitars
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I thought I saw Steve in an episode of LOST this season.
    lol
    Van Halen shows
    July 28, 1980 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    1981 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    December 7, 1982 Freedom Hall Louisville KY
    Febuary 9, 1984 Freedom Hall Louisvile KY
    May 22, 1998 Madison Square Garden NYC
    August 15, 1998 Jones Beach LI NY
    June 19, 2004 Worcester Mass
    November 3, 2007 IZOD Center NJ
    November 13, 2007 Madison Square Garden NYC
    May 23, 2008 Madison Square Garden NYC

www.myspace.com/patvh5150

http://www.youtube.com/patvh5150

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

The man should have filed a flight plan. He probably would have been found by now. Even though it's not required for VFR aircraft, it would have been beneficial.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Has Steve Fossett been found?

BREAKING NEWS ABOUT AVIATOR STEVE FOSSETT
    October 1st, 2008 12:48 PM Eastern
    by Adam Housley

The call came last night. A story from a friend about a ski shop owner hiking in the mountains off trail above Mammoth Lakes California near the area of Minaret Lake and Minaret Mine. Apparently the man came across what appeared to be some papers lying in a remote path, but what he may have found wasn’t some wayward trash left by a careless camper.

Tattered and crumpled on the ground, the Mammoth Lakes local found what appears to be two FAA cards that listed the name Steve Fossett, both were apparently either issued or had some sort of connection to the State of Illinois. The two cards were found with a small amount of money and not far away, a sweat jacket, also a bit worn and beaten up from the weather.

The Mammoth man went and told his wife, who happens to be a local firefighter, and then the couple and a few close friends searched the area all yesterday afternoon, after the find and then got back into range and called local authorities, who then contacted the lawyers involved in this case. Will this find lead to a lost crash site of the missing millionaire aviator? More information about a possible renewed search effort to come. I did speak with a police sergeant in Mammoth Lakes and he confirms that the items have just been brought to the station and they are looking very closely at the papers and will be getting back to us shortly.

THE BACKGROUND: Steve Fossett has been missing since September 3, 2007, and was declared legally dead February 15, 2008. A good friend of fellow daredevil Sir Richard Branson, he was an avid American aviator, sailor, and adventurer who became the first person to fly solo nonstop around the world in a balloon.

Fossett was a fellow at the Royal Geographic Society and set 116 records (60 still stand) in 5 different sports. He originally made his fortune in the financial services industry and had dedicated his later years in life to challenging these various world records.

Fossett was reported missing after the plane he was flying over the Nevada desert failed to return back to the airport. Searches by a variety of volunteers on the ground and in the air, including help from the Civil Air Patrol, turned up nothing. Even after the official search and rescue was called off, people continue to look for the missing aviator.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Looks like they may have found the wreckage of the plane:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/ste...rch/index.html

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Sounds like the plane hit head-on into the mountain. Hopefully this will bring some closure to his family.

RIP.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Discovery Channel to Air Program About Fossett's Crash

Steve Fossett: What Went Wrong? That’s the question The Discovery Channel aims to answer on Monday, December 1, in a special program investigating Fossett’s last flight on Labor Day morning, September 3, 2007 that resulted in a fatal crash. Discovery’s program description: “It's the shocking story of the mysterious disappearance and death of the greatest aviator in the world: Steve Fossett. The crash, the questions, and the haunting answers you've never heard...until now.” The hour-long program will air at 10 p.m. Eastern, 9 p.m. Central, and again a 2 a.m. (1 a.m.).

http://www.eaa.org/news/2008/2008-11-26_fossett.asp
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw