Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The fuss about no Mike on the tour

While I certainly agree that Mike has been a class guy and a loyal soldier for a number of years can't we all face reality and realize that he was one of the luckiest SOB's in the world. The guy got 25% writng credits for all those years when he never wrote a note. EVH wrote and played all the base lines in the studio. Mike was an incredibly over paid "hired gun". Ask Ian Hill of Judas Priest how many writing credits he's gotten through the years. I saw Classic VH 3 times '82, '83 & '84, and I have to say Mikes bass solo was the most rediculous thing I've ever see a band do. The band was always Ed and Dave. Ed wrote licks and Dave wrote lyrics and melodies. The only two distinct sound in the band were those two and the only two anybody every paid attention to were those two. Have Ed and Alex seemingly treated Mike like shit, of course, they treat everybody that way, heck Alex has contributed even less than Mike (at least Mike sang backing vocals) Alex owes everything to his last name. But acting like this isn't a reuniion without Mike is insane. Two of the most dynamic partners in music are going to play together for the first time in 22 years. Ed's name always gets mentioned in talking about greatest guitarist ever and Dave's also when discussing front men. Get over the loss of Mike, for gods sake show me a band other than Cheap Trick that has all of it's original members in tow.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

This thread is not going to go far at all. Show anyone proof that Mike didn't play a note on any VH album.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW View Post
    This thread is not going to go far at all. Show anyone proof that Mike didn't play a note on any VH album.
    Yet then again, we certainly needed yet another thread devoted to the same issue, right?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yet then again, we certainly needed yet another thread devoted to the same issue, right?
    MikeL's quote in Sucka's sig would be perfect in this case.

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kramer98 View Post
    While I certainly agree that Mike has been a class guy and a loyal soldier for a number of years can't we all face reality and realize that he was one of the luckiest SOB's in the world. The guy got 25% writng credits for all those years when he never wrote a note.
    Then EVH should've never agreed to cut MA on the songwriting credits back then and he should've also cut his brother out of the songwriting credits as well.

EVH wrote and played all the base lines in the studio.
    Really? I'd like to see some evidence of this claim, which is entirely based on EVH playing bass on several songs on VHIII and on the 3 tunes on BOBW. Plus, if it were true, do you think EVH would be allowing MA to ever collect royalties for songwriting credits on recordings from any VH albums? He also would've said publicly that he wrote and played all the bass lines in the studio.

Mike was an incredibly over paid "hired gun". Ask Ian Hill of Judas Priest how many writing credits he's gotten through the years. I saw Classic VH 3 times '82, '83 & '84, and I have to say Mikes bass solo was the most rediculous thing I've ever see a band do.
    Actually, adding an inexperienced 15-year-old bass player to a lineup of 50-somethings is probably "the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen a band do."

The band was always Ed and Dave. Ed wrote licks and Dave wrote lyrics and melodies. The only two distinct sound in the band were those two and the only two anybody every paid attention to were those two.
    I guess the distinctive background vocals really meant nothing to you. It's funny how the one VH album in which those distinctive background vocals were mostly missing (VHIII) was also a disaster (though that was only one of many reasons for the weakness of that album).

Have Ed and Alex seemingly treated Mike like shit, of course, they treat everybody that way, heck Alex has contributed even less than Mike (at least Mike sang backing vocals) Alex owes everything to his last name.
    Perhaps you should've mentioned this earlier when you were only ripping MA's contributions to the band and calling him "one of the luckiest SOB's in the world."

But acting like this isn't a reuniion without Mike is insane.
    Perhaps you should tell this to all of the individuals who are supporting this tour and have spent a significant amount of time saying that it is NOT a reunion. Even DLR & Co. are saying itís not a reunion. Remember, they said at the press conference that it was a NEW band that's going to release new music after the tour...just like they were going to do with SH after the '04 tour.

Two of the most dynamic partners in music are going to play together for the first time in 22 years.
    I guess you must've forgotten about 1996 (and 2000) then.

Ed's name always gets mentioned in talking about greatest guitarist ever and Dave's also when discussing front men. Get over the loss of Mike, for gods sake show me a band other than Cheap Trick that has all of it's original members in tow.
    Nice attempt at erecting a straw man. The problem is that 95% of VH fans have been paying attention to the band the past 11 years (22 years for some) for one thing and one thing only -- to see a CVH reunion with all four original members. That's the problem. It's also the way MA was treated by the VH brothers. Thatís why myself and many others here personally don't give a rat's ass that other bands have had lineup changes.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

While I certainly agree that Mike has been a class guy and a loyal soldier for a number of years can't we all face reality and realize that he was one of the luckiest SOB's in the world. The guy got 25% writng credits for all those years when he never wrote a note. EVH wrote and played all the base lines in the studio. Mike was an incredibly over paid "hired gun". Ask Ian Hill of Judas Priest how many writing credits he's gotten through the years. I saw Classic VH 3 times '82, '83 & '84, and I have to say Mikes bass solo was the most rediculous thing I've ever see a band do. The band was always Ed and Dave. Ed wrote licks and Dave wrote lyrics and melodies. The only two distinct sound in the band were those two and the only two anybody every paid attention to were those two. Have Ed and Alex seemingly treated Mike like shit, of course, they treat everybody that way, heck Alex has contributed even less than Mike (at least Mike sang backing vocals) Alex owes everything to his last name. But acting like this isn't a reuniion without Mike is insane. Two of the most dynamic partners in music are going to play together for the first time in 22 years. Ed's name always gets mentioned in talking about greatest guitarist ever and Dave's also when discussing front men. Get over the loss of Mike, for gods sake show me a band other than Cheap Trick that has all of it's original members in tow.
    Is this Wolfgang?

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:06 PM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    We really did.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

We don't need anymore Mike threads.

For the thread poster, you obviously plan to make a great contribution to this site with posts like that.

Good lord some of the new people on this site need a reality check.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Rehash ROCKS!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Oh wait I meant to close this thing.

BTW soon newbies won't be allowed to start new threads, just reply.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!