Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.31.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Bands who can blow away VH...

Not to be a negative nelly, because I LOVE VH. I am so happy they're back, and am most definately going to see them.

That being said, someone raised the point of which bands could upstage VH. A very good thread. VH is the reason I picked up a guitar, and naturally I went through liking all the similar "rock" bands.

There are however, many bands who could currently blow VH off a stage who put significantly more effort into their shows, don't screw their fans over, and charge way less for tickets. Radiohead currently puts on the best show in the world, if you haven't seen them live, do yourself a favor. Whether or not you like their studio albums is meaningless.

A band that is never mentioned in this site however is MUSE....and I'm surprised. A 3-piece band who's singer is definately VH influenced.

Here's a clip of them live in Sidney...watch it til the 4 minute mark so you can see the guitar solo. If VH had to go on after these guys I'd feel bad for them. That being said...Long live VH, there is room for every kind of music in the world.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

Foo Fighters also come to mind.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

02.23.08 @ 07:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaddY LonglegZ View Post
    Not to be a negative nelly, because I LOVE VH. I am so happy they're back, and am most definately going to see them.

That being said, someone raised the point of which bands could upstage VH. A very good thread. VH is the reason I picked up a guitar, and naturally I went through liking all the similar "rock" bands.

There are however, many bands who could currently blow VH off a stage who put significantly more effort into their shows, don't screw their fans over, and charge way less for tickets. Radiohead currently puts on the best show in the world, if you haven't seen them live, do yourself a favor. Whether or not you like their studio albums is meaningless.

A band that is never mentioned in this site however is MUSE....and I'm surprised. A 3-piece band who's singer is definately VH influenced.

Here's a clip of them live in Sidney...watch it til the 4 minute mark so you can see the guitar solo. If VH had to go on after these guys I'd feel bad for them. That being said...Long live VH, there is room for every kind of music in the world.
    When did you see VH w/Roth 2007? I did not know they were playing live already? Also did you ever see them live Roth?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tease View Post
    Foo Fighters also come to mind.
    you beat me to it..
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After listening to this, I would hate to be the band Muse and have the opening slot for the Mighty Van Halen. Either 2 things would happen, there would be a shit load of beer sold or they would bee boo'd off the stage. I am just wondering seriously have you ever seen VH live even with Hagar or Cherone?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, unfortunately I have never seen them live with Roth. But I think you responded to me without watching that link.

But saying that no one can touch them is pointless. And I wasn't trying to bash them at all. This tour could be amazing, I am simply saying there are some unbelievable performers out there in the rock, rap, reggae, classical, blues, jazz and alternative fields who could do many things on a higher level than vh.

In the 80's, at their peak, for what they do, they were surely the best. Heavy, yet charming. Innovative yet catchy.

The days of Van Halen being anything other than nostalgia were over in 1982. That isn't a bad thing...they're an incredible band.

There are currently many bands that not only push music forward, but put on innovative, likeable, amazing shows.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are correct sir. Muse would get booed off the stage in front of a Van Halen crowd...Amongst the rest of the music liking world, it would be the reverse, and that's what sucks for me as a VH fan.

Unfortunately most of the world views die hard Van Halen fans as mullet-wearing, beer guzzling idiots with limited musical knowledge.

Don't get so offended though. I have seen VH on the OU812 tour as an 8 year old seeing his first concert...I saw F.U.C.K, I saw Balance in Toronto, and I saw Cherone....As bad as Cherone was, it blew away the 2004 tour, which was so pathetic it did damage the respect I had for a once great band.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em-all eras.
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

09.04.15 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

This is a stupid thread, no offense. VH running on all cylinders is something Radiohead couldnt touch musicaly....geez.
    SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, unfortunately I have never seen them live with Roth. But I think you responded to me without watching that link.

But saying that no one can touch them is pointless. And I wasn't trying to bash them at all. This tour could be amazing, I am simply saying there are some unbelievable performers out there in the rock, rap, reggae, classical, blues, jazz and alternative fields who could do many things on a higher level than vh.

In the 80's, at their peak, for what they do, they were surely the best. Heavy, yet charming. Innovative yet catchy.

The days of Van Halen being anything other than nostalgia were over in 1982. That isn't a bad thing...they're an incredible band.

There are currently many bands that not only push music forward, but put on innovative, likeable, amazing shows.
    The question was if there are any bands out there that can blow VH off the stage. My point is even with Hagar or Cherone, they are very hard to match when it comes to pure raw rock. And when it comes to innovation, Eddie is still the innovator....hell the guitar player from Muse was doing things Ed did 20 yrs ago. And no I do not concur with you that their reign is done. From all accounts that I have heard or read, they are back with a vengeance and I would not judge them until I see a show...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a musician, and believe me, there is nothing special anymore about VH.

Radiohead would absolutely blow them off the stage.

I LOVE VH, but there's a reason OK Computer is the perennial "greatest album of all-time". There is also a reason that Jonny Greenwood (radiohead's guitarist) is the composer for the BBC orchaestra. Creativity and pushing boundaries all while maintaining a massive fan base is very impressive.

Big Fat Money, Fire in the Hole and It's About Time does not match up to anything Radiohead has written. Nor does any of the Roth material, but at least it's good in a different way.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The guitarist for Muse has also taken guitar to a new level beyond EVH.

Enjoy the reunion tour, but don't put on blinders to the outside world.

Is Eddie more innovative than Jimi Hendrix too? sheesh

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

it's all subjective
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

I am a musician, and believe me, there is nothing special anymore about VH.

Radiohead would absolutely blow them off the stage.

I LOVE VH, but there's a reason OK Computer is the perennial "greatest album of all-time". There is also a reason that Jonny Greenwood (radiohead's guitarist) is the composer for the BBC orchaestra. Creativity and pushing boundaries all while maintaining a massive fan base is very impressive.

Big Fat Money, Fire in the Hole and It's About Time does not match up to anything Radiohead has written. Nor does any of the Roth material, but at least it's good in a different way.
    talk to us in 20 years and tell us if OK Computer is still thought of in the same way. For some reason I doubt it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

The guitarist for Muse has also taken guitar to a new level beyond EVH.

I don't think having a funny knob on the back of your guitar equates taking it past Eddie
    Eat Us and Smile!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would happily take that bet....

Sgt. Peppers, Rovolver, Dark Side of the Moon, Ok Computer...

They aren't going anywhere.

100 Greatest Albums Full List:

1. RADIOHEAD - OK Computer
    2. U2 - The Joshua Tree
    3. NIRVANA - Nevermind
    4. MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller
    5. PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon
    6. OASIS - Definitely Maybe
    7. THE BEATLES - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    8. MADONNA - Like a Prayer
    9. GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction
    10. THE BEATLES - Revolver

Radiohead's victory was applauded by a whole host of musicians The Smiths former guitarist Johnny Marr hailed 'OK Computer' as a "landmark record" while REM singer Michael Stipe described the album as a "classic, brilliant record."