Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68
  1. #1
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.31.07
    Posts
    21
    Last Online

    08.31.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Bands who can blow away VH...

    Not to be a negative nelly, because I LOVE VH. I am so happy they're back, and am most definately going to see them.

    That being said, someone raised the point of which bands could upstage VH. A very good thread. VH is the reason I picked up a guitar, and naturally I went through liking all the similar "rock" bands.

    There are however, many bands who could currently blow VH off a stage who put significantly more effort into their shows, don't screw their fans over, and charge way less for tickets. Radiohead currently puts on the best show in the world, if you haven't seen them live, do yourself a favor. Whether or not you like their studio albums is meaningless.

    A band that is never mentioned in this site however is MUSE....and I'm surprised. A 3-piece band who's singer is definately VH influenced.



    Here's a clip of them live in Sidney...watch it til the 4 minute mark so you can see the guitar solo. If VH had to go on after these guys I'd feel bad for them. That being said...Long live VH, there is room for every kind of music in the world.

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    04.06.02
    Age
    39
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    879
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

    12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Foo Fighters also come to mind.

  3. #3
    Banned! cvh 2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.07
    Posts
    25
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained
    Last Online

    02.23.08 @ 07:42 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddY LonglegZ View Post
    Not to be a negative nelly, because I LOVE VH. I am so happy they're back, and am most definately going to see them.

    That being said, someone raised the point of which bands could upstage VH. A very good thread. VH is the reason I picked up a guitar, and naturally I went through liking all the similar "rock" bands.

    There are however, many bands who could currently blow VH off a stage who put significantly more effort into their shows, don't screw their fans over, and charge way less for tickets. Radiohead currently puts on the best show in the world, if you haven't seen them live, do yourself a favor. Whether or not you like their studio albums is meaningless.

    A band that is never mentioned in this site however is MUSE....and I'm surprised. A 3-piece band who's singer is definately VH influenced.



    Here's a clip of them live in Sidney...watch it til the 4 minute mark so you can see the guitar solo. If VH had to go on after these guys I'd feel bad for them. That being said...Long live VH, there is room for every kind of music in the world.
    When did you see VH w/Roth 2007? I did not know they were playing live already? Also did you ever see them live Roth?

  4. #4
    Sinner's Swing! Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Big "D"
    Posts
    3,195
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Likes
    7
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tease View Post
    Foo Fighters also come to mind.
    you beat me to it..
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

  5. #5
    Banned! cvh 2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.07
    Posts
    25
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained
    Last Online

    02.23.08 @ 07:42 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddY LonglegZ View Post
    Not to be a negative nelly, because I LOVE VH. I am so happy they're back, and am most definately going to see them.

    That being said, someone raised the point of which bands could upstage VH. A very good thread. VH is the reason I picked up a guitar, and naturally I went through liking all the similar "rock" bands.

    There are however, many bands who could currently blow VH off a stage who put significantly more effort into their shows, don't screw their fans over, and charge way less for tickets. Radiohead currently puts on the best show in the world, if you haven't seen them live, do yourself a favor. Whether or not you like their studio albums is meaningless.

    A band that is never mentioned in this site however is MUSE....and I'm surprised. A 3-piece band who's singer is definately VH influenced.



    Here's a clip of them live in Sidney...watch it til the 4 minute mark so you can see the guitar solo. If VH had to go on after these guys I'd feel bad for them. That being said...Long live VH, there is room for every kind of music in the world.
    After listening to this, I would hate to be the band Muse and have the opening slot for the Mighty Van Halen. Either 2 things would happen, there would be a shit load of beer sold or they would bee boo'd off the stage. I am just wondering seriously have you ever seen VH live even with Hagar or Cherone?

  6. #6
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.31.07
    Posts
    21
    Last Online

    08.31.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    No, unfortunately I have never seen them live with Roth. But I think you responded to me without watching that link.

    But saying that no one can touch them is pointless. And I wasn't trying to bash them at all. This tour could be amazing, I am simply saying there are some unbelievable performers out there in the rock, rap, reggae, classical, blues, jazz and alternative fields who could do many things on a higher level than vh.

    In the 80's, at their peak, for what they do, they were surely the best. Heavy, yet charming. Innovative yet catchy.

    The days of Van Halen being anything other than nostalgia were over in 1982. That isn't a bad thing...they're an incredible band.

    There are currently many bands that not only push music forward, but put on innovative, likeable, amazing shows.

  7. #7
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.31.07
    Posts
    21
    Last Online

    08.31.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    You are correct sir. Muse would get booed off the stage in front of a Van Halen crowd...Amongst the rest of the music liking world, it would be the reverse, and that's what sucks for me as a VH fan.

    Unfortunately most of the world views die hard Van Halen fans as mullet-wearing, beer guzzling idiots with limited musical knowledge.

    Don't get so offended though. I have seen VH on the OU812 tour as an 8 year old seeing his first concert...I saw F.U.C.K, I saw Balance in Toronto, and I saw Cherone....As bad as Cherone was, it blew away the 2004 tour, which was so pathetic it did damage the respect I had for a once great band.

  8. #8
    Eruption topjimmy4vh's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.14.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    Clifton Heights, PA (near Philly)
    Posts
    1,073
    Favorite VH Album

    All of 'em-all eras.
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    09.04.15 @ 04:51 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    This is a stupid thread, no offense. VH running on all cylinders is something Radiohead couldnt touch musicaly....geez.
    SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!

  9. #9
    Banned! cvh 2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.07
    Posts
    25
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained
    Last Online

    02.23.08 @ 07:42 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddY LonglegZ View Post
    No, unfortunately I have never seen them live with Roth. But I think you responded to me without watching that link.

    But saying that no one can touch them is pointless. And I wasn't trying to bash them at all. This tour could be amazing, I am simply saying there are some unbelievable performers out there in the rock, rap, reggae, classical, blues, jazz and alternative fields who could do many things on a higher level than vh.

    In the 80's, at their peak, for what they do, they were surely the best. Heavy, yet charming. Innovative yet catchy.

    The days of Van Halen being anything other than nostalgia were over in 1982. That isn't a bad thing...they're an incredible band.

    There are currently many bands that not only push music forward, but put on innovative, likeable, amazing shows.
    The question was if there are any bands out there that can blow VH off the stage. My point is even with Hagar or Cherone, they are very hard to match when it comes to pure raw rock. And when it comes to innovation, Eddie is still the innovator....hell the guitar player from Muse was doing things Ed did 20 yrs ago. And no I do not concur with you that their reign is done. From all accounts that I have heard or read, they are back with a vengeance and I would not judge them until I see a show...

  10. #10
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.31.07
    Posts
    21
    Last Online

    08.31.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I am a musician, and believe me, there is nothing special anymore about VH.

    Radiohead would absolutely blow them off the stage.

    I LOVE VH, but there's a reason OK Computer is the perennial "greatest album of all-time". There is also a reason that Jonny Greenwood (radiohead's guitarist) is the composer for the BBC orchaestra. Creativity and pushing boundaries all while maintaining a massive fan base is very impressive.

    Big Fat Money, Fire in the Hole and It's About Time does not match up to anything Radiohead has written. Nor does any of the Roth material, but at least it's good in a different way.

  11. #11
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.31.07
    Posts
    21
    Last Online

    08.31.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The guitarist for Muse has also taken guitar to a new level beyond EVH.

    Enjoy the reunion tour, but don't put on blinders to the outside world.

    Is Eddie more innovative than Jimi Hendrix too? sheesh

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk hain23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.04.00
    Location
    way down yonder in Louisville
    Posts
    7,791
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Likes
    36
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    it's all subjective
    Eat Us and Smile!

  13. #13
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,149
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Likes
    1,318
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddY LonglegZ View Post
    I am a musician, and believe me, there is nothing special anymore about VH.

    Radiohead would absolutely blow them off the stage.

    I LOVE VH, but there's a reason OK Computer is the perennial "greatest album of all-time". There is also a reason that Jonny Greenwood (radiohead's guitarist) is the composer for the BBC orchaestra. Creativity and pushing boundaries all while maintaining a massive fan base is very impressive.

    Big Fat Money, Fire in the Hole and It's About Time does not match up to anything Radiohead has written. Nor does any of the Roth material, but at least it's good in a different way.
    talk to us in 20 years and tell us if OK Computer is still thought of in the same way. For some reason I doubt it.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk hain23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.04.00
    Location
    way down yonder in Louisville
    Posts
    7,791
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Likes
    36
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddY LonglegZ View Post
    The guitarist for Muse has also taken guitar to a new level beyond EVH.

    I don't think having a funny knob on the back of your guitar equates taking it past Eddie
    Eat Us and Smile!

  15. #15
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.31.07
    Posts
    21
    Last Online

    08.31.07 @ 05:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I would happily take that bet....

    Sgt. Peppers, Rovolver, Dark Side of the Moon, Ok Computer...

    They aren't going anywhere.

    100 Greatest Albums Full List:

    1. RADIOHEAD - OK Computer
    2. U2 - The Joshua Tree
    3. NIRVANA - Nevermind
    4. MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller
    5. PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon
    6. OASIS - Definitely Maybe
    7. THE BEATLES - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    8. MADONNA - Like a Prayer
    9. GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction
    10. THE BEATLES - Revolver

    Radiohead's victory was applauded by a whole host of musicians The Smiths former guitarist Johnny Marr hailed 'OK Computer' as a "landmark record" while REM singer Michael Stipe described the album as a "classic, brilliant record."

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. HOW DID VAN HALEN BLOW IT?
    By CHI-TOWN FAN2 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 07.24.05, 12:45 PM
  2. J-Lo Blow Job (courtesy of Satan)
    By Dr. Love in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02.06.03, 09:09 PM
  3. Metallica claim to BLOW VH away!!!!
    By DLR'sCock in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 02.13.02, 06:21 PM
  4. I Will Blow My Gonger........
    By PT 5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11.04.00, 10:18 PM
  5. Van Halen Gonger Ready To "blow"
    By PT 5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07.21.00, 12:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •