Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Monster spider web spun in Texas

Monster spider web spun in Texas

WILLS POINT, Texas (AP) -- Entomologists are debating the origin and rarity of a sprawling spider web that blankets several trees, shrubs and the ground along a 200-yard stretch of trail in a North Texas park.

Lake Tawokoni State Park rangers Mike McCord, left, and Freddie Gowin check out a giant spider web at the park.

Officials at Lake Tawakoni State Park say the massive mosquito trap is a big attraction for some visitors, while others won't go anywhere near it.

"At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland," said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. "Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."

Spider experts say the web may have been constructed by social cobweb spiders, which work together, or could be the result of a mass dispersal in which the arachnids spin webs to spread out from one another.

"I've been hearing from entomologists from Ohio, Kansas, British Columbia -- all over the place," said Mike Quinn, an invertebrate biologist with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department who first posted photos online.

Herbert A. "Joe" Pase, a Texas Forest Service entomologist, said the massive web is very unusual.

"From what I'm hearing it could be a once-in-a-lifetime event," he said.

But John Jackman, a professor and extension entomologist for Texas A&M University, said he hears reports of similar webs every couple of years.

"There are a lot of folks that don't realize spiders do that," said Jackman, author of "A Field Guide to the Spiders and Scorpions of Texas."

"Until we get some samples sent to us, we really won't know what species of spider we're talking about," Jackman said.

Garde invited the entomologists out to the park to get a firsthand look at the giant web.

"Somebody needs to come out that's an expert. I would love to see some entomology intern come out and study this," she said.

Park rangers said they expect the web to last until fall, when the spiders will start dying off.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's shelob

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Someone call John Goodman
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    It's shelob
    Meaning Texas is kinda like Cirith Ungol, haha.

Nice stuff, some part of me hopes it's extraterrestrial.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As long as the spider that made it ain't anywhere near that big, then I don't have a problem with it.

Natural mosquito netting and no need for spraying toxic chemicals in the air or on your body. What's not to like?

Spiders seem to have this bizarre attraction to me. I'm always finding new webs in the doorway, hanging off the front porch, on the car mirror, etc.

And that's cool with me, as long as they're outside.

But when I wake up with spider bites on me, and find one of the little 8 legged bastards running around the house, then it's WAR! (splat!)
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

First 6 albums and bov1
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

03.16.12 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hate to walk into one of those at night. I hate that feeling
    Georgia Tech Football - Bring on Utah!!!! Go Jackets!!!!
    Falcons - I hear playoffs
    Atlanta Braves - Need to make some real moves
    Atl Hawks - 3-0 alright were undefeated and when did they pick up this guy called Marvin Williams?????
    PS3 Network - VanHalen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    As long as the spider that made it ain't anywhere near that big, then I don't have a problem with it.

Natural mosquito netting and no need for spraying toxic chemicals in the air or on your body. What's not to like?

Spiders seem to have this bizarre attraction to me. I'm always finding new webs in the doorway, hanging off the front porch, on the car mirror, etc.

And that's cool with me, as long as they're outside.

But when I wake up with spider bites on me, and find one of the little 8 legged bastards running around the house, then it's WAR! (splat!)
    I have no existential quarrel with spiders in general but I did get bit by one called a brown recluse...landed in the hospital and had a chunk cut out of my knee and now have a permanent scar...bastard. If I ever run into that son-of-a-bitch again, we're going to have words.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    but I did get bit by one called a brown recluse...

They don't play. I've heard horror stories about what a brown recluse bite can do.

I heard once that they eat black widows, but that could easily be a product of "adult beverage embellishment syndrome".

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    They don't play. I've heard horror stories about what a brown recluse bite can do.

I heard once that they eat black widows, but that could easily be a product of "adult beverage embellishment syndrome".
    It was incredibly unpleasant. I was sitting on a park bench one afternoon while my wife got her palm read at some gypsy tent thing during a festival. I noticed a teeny teeny little bug on my let and brushed it aside. Didn't think twice. Two days later I had these tiny red dots on my knee. By the end of the day they were huge. The next day they broke up. Day after that I could barely walk. Off to the emergency room...fucker bit me twice right on the knee cap and once up high on my leg. Never felt a thing. It was absolutely gruesome. Their venom makes skin necrotic and it just continues to die so the doctors have to cut it all out along with good tissue. I spent weeks packing the gaping hole in my knee with gauze three times a day until tissue grew back. It was awful. Now I've got my spidey sense and I'm not fucking around. I've learned where those things live and what they look like and I'm on constant look out. Don't want that to happen again.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Yep I'm your man when it comes to the recluse. I've got those damn bastards all over my place. I use the Viper brand spray to keep them at bay.

The odd thing about those spiders is that are where you don't expect them. Like I mentioned in another thread, my mother got bit on her stomach this past May. And my folks live in a prestine very clean home. It was brutal on my mother. Nasty shit. You would have never even imagined those things would be in their home. But they are. My house is out in the sticks, so that's expected. And I keep a jar full of the ones that I've killed. At least about 30 or so. I'm not kidding either. Give me a rattlesnake or snakes in general. I can handle that. Give me spiders...and I'll be the biggest bitch you ever have seen. Fuck spiders. Cool spider web in the picture though. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.