Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7 & F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

at the moment House of Pain
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 01:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ESSENTIAL ALBUMS IN NEED OF RECOGNITION

I don't know if there has been a thread on this, But what are the two great albums that you feel are sorely in need of some shout outs!
    Here's my two:
    1. Hawk - Doug Marks of Metal Method. I thought this should have been a HUGE SUCCESS- Some great heavy guitars with some great vocals.
    2.Aldo Nova (Blood on the Bricks) The more I listen to this the more I like it.
    I believe Aldo Nova and Bon Jovi colaborated on the song writing on this. Some great pop/rock "Touch of Madness" and "Me and Ronnie "(Veronica's Song).
    How's about it my fellow Linker's?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

1.Metallica-And Justice For All
    2.Pantera-Cowboys From Hell
    3.AC/DC-Let There Be Rock
    4.AC/DC-High Voltage
    5.Ozzy-Ultimate Sin
    6.Saliva-Back Into Your System
    7.The soundtrack from 'Rockstar' is great!!
    Livin the life I was born to live
    Givin it all that I've got to give
    Your invited if you wanna come
    Better get ready to have some fun

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

First off, any U2 fan that's written off POP needs to go back and give it another listen or three. Take it song by song if you have to, but there's some great stuff on there like "Please", "Gone", "If God Will Send His Angels", "MOFO", "Staring At The Sun", "Last Night On Earth". Really, the only place where it really bogs down for me is "The Playboy Mansion" and "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" - "Velvet..." would be a lot better if Bono didn't mumble through the vocals. But overall, it's a good album - not Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree, but geez, how many of those can one group have!

Second, I'm going to offer up Street Survivors by Lynyrd Skynyrd. The album is a quality effort from stem-to-stern - I think the addition of Steve Gaines really invigorated the band and they seemed poised to take off in a good direction. Tragically, we know they didn't get very far...

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Extreme - III Sides to Every Story

it didn't have the success of its predecessor, but there was so much that was right with that album: diversity (as always with this group), great melodies, and a concept album to boot!
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Counting Crows- Recovering the satellites
    Matthew Sweet- Girlfriend
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

We're supposed to pick just two, right?
    In that case:

Aerosmith--Live Bootleg A great, grungy, awful-sounding album from back when the toxic twins were still toxic.

The Dixie Dregs--Free Fall If you've never heard the Dregs, you've got to give them a try just once.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

As is to be expected, our resident dunderhead Kimmie misses the point of the thread entirely.

Neil Young-"Living With War". Released last year, this album pretty much tanked and was derided for the political jingoism of the tune "Let's Impeach The President".

In fact, it featured some of the sharpest political commentary of Young's long career, and some of his sharpest melodies. A welcome return to the "Crazy Horse" sound, made more remarkable by the addition of a one hundred voice choir.

Loretta Lynn-"Van Leer Rose". From a few years back, this was the first album to feature a track listing of songs composed by Lynn herself in her entire career. Stark, spine tingling and downright heartbreaking country music, produced with respect and sympathy by Jack White, a fellow one normally would not associate such traits with.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    Extreme - III Sides to Every Story

it didn't have the success of its predecessor, but there was so much that was right with that album: diversity (as always with this group), great melodies, and a concept album to boot!
    Great pick.

My two would be:

Shangri-La Dee Da by STP. Not that people don't like this album, but I feel it should get more respect than it does. The Deleo's and Scott Weiland were at the top of their game as a band, and a song writers most importantly. This album has all the essentials a music fan needs. Straight ahead rockers, guitar solo's, a couple ballads, a bit of punk, etc. Great album.

90125 by Yes. Again, an album that a lot of people dig, but certainly one that's been forgotten over time. I still remember being drawn in by the video for "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" as a kid. It wasn't till I matured that I was able to really appreciate the album fully. Great musicianship, which is always present on a Yes album. And just flat out good tunes. Our Song, It Can Happen, Hold On, Our Song and the lead single are just great fucking songs. People just don't make albums like these anymore.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dream Theater: Metropolis- Scenes from a Memory
    AC/DC : Powerage - it grooves like no other album

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    As is to be expected, our resident dunderhead Kimmie misses the point of the thread entirely.

Neil Young-"Living With War". Released last year, this album pretty much tanked and was derided for the political jingoism of the tune "Let's Impeach The President".

In fact, it featured some of the sharpest political commentary of Young's long career, and some of his sharpest melodies. A welcome return to the "Crazy Horse" sound, made more remarkable by the addition of a one hundred voice choir.

Loretta Lynn-"Van Leer Rose". From a few years back, this was the first album to feature a track listing of songs composed by Lynn herself in her entire career. Stark, spine tingling and downright heartbreaking country music, produced with respect and sympathy by Jack White, a fellow one normally would not associate such traits with.
    Um, I'm sorry, but did I ask you for ANY input?

Don't care anyway, I just a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda girl.

I happen to think there are more than 2 albums that deserve recognition, thank you.

Loretta Lynn? Um, well, to each his own I suppose.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:48 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

The Firm - The Firm
    The Who - Who's Next
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Loretta Lynn? Um, well, to each his own I suppose.
    Yup, Loretta Lynn. You know, a real woman. No wonder you can not relate, let alone understand for that matter.

Here's another:
    Casey Chambers-"The Captain". Smart, solid country western, with none of the "pop-radio" horseshit gimmicks that pass for that genre today. Soulful, modern "Appalachian high-lonesome" style singing and balladry, as is to be expected as written and performed by a chick from...Australia ?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    The Firm - The Firm
    The Who - Who's Next
    Love both albums. Still listen to The Firm pretty regularly.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Counting Crows- Recovering the satellites
    Matthew Sweet- Girlfriend
    alright, now that I have a moment, if I may expand-0

Recovering the satellites starts with a great organ intro into "catapult," which to me is just a great album opener. And although the record kind of fades towards the end, the first 8 or 9 tracks are as good as rock/pop that's been released during that time or since. It's meloncholy (sp) in places without being too dark, and has a good balance of rock and slower tunes throughout.

I always liked Adam Duritz lyrics, even though he gets hung up a bit too much on recurring themes sometimes (angels and rain being the most obvious)

Key tracks-
    Catapult
    Angels of the Silences
    Goodnight Elizabeth (one of my favorite lines in this tune- "we can all be cowboys, some of us are clowns...)
    Have you Seen Me Lately

Matthew Sweet- Girlfirend
    Good Catchy guitar based pop. Maybe a bit too sappy for some, but I still pull it out and listen to often. There's some good breakup/sad songs on this one.(Thought I knew you, You Don't Love Me).

For those that aren't familiar with Matthew Sweet, this was kind of his break out record in '91. After several more albums, he went on to be a major contributing member to "Ming Tea" (it's true)

Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yup, Loretta Lynn. You know, a real woman. No wonder you can not relate, let alone understand for that matter.

Here's another:
    Casey Chambers-"The Captain". Smart, solid country western, with none of the "pop-radio" horseshit gimmicks that pass for that genre today. Soulful, modern "Appalachian high-lonesome" style singing and balladry, as is to be expected as written and performed by a chick from...Australia ?
    Hmm....is it possible that a real man appreciates & respects a real woman that speaks her own mind and doesn't cower behind him?
    Last edited by Kimmie5150; 08.29.07 at 11:28 AM.