VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default should i laquer or not??

i recently started a new project guitar and im in 2 minds to laquer it or not.
    the guitar in question is an old kramer but im not doing the usual 5150 or frankie job on it, its similar but has a twist (i will post pics when she's done).
    my quandry is this...the base coat (therefor the graphics) is a metalic while the top coat is a high gloss. now with the metalic i cant use a rubbing compound to smooth it down so therefore cant go really mad on the topcoat.
    BUT i dont like a lot of laquer, i like them to feel a little rough and organic if u get my drift, my last project i built i didnt use any and she's starting to smooth out a little now through playing.
    so i'm really just asking for opinions...should i laquer and get a high gloss or should i leave it n have it feel organic??

and before you ask im keeping the colours a secret...it'll be familliar but with a twist!

kind regards...tom

http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you say "lacquer" are you speaking of rattlecans?
    If so, I'd recommend spending the extra money and have someone with the proper equipment paint it for you in urethane.

JMO

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the guys at my local ford dealers are letting me use their spray booth and oven as long as they aren't busy so im using all auto paints from house of kolor....ive finished the 2 main colours and am really happy with the result...im still in 2 minds about a clear coat...maybe if i drop a pearl on it but then again maybe not...help

lmao

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    the guys at my local ford dealers are letting me use their spray booth and oven as long as they aren't busy so im using all auto paints from house of kolor....ive finished the 2 main colours and am really happy with the result...im still in 2 minds about a clear coat...maybe if i drop a pearl on it but then again maybe not...help

lmao

Okay, so what's the purpose of this thread?
    btw ... the paint you're using is a urethane, not a laqcuer.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do YOU want? Do you want a clean slick look (apply clear)? Or do you want a "well-lived-in" look (Organic, as you called it)? The relic look can be cool.

Sounds good to get a hold of a spraybooth (one question, you don't like the relic look on a car, do you? Love cars too, so that would help me decide i.e. comparison)). Dino convinced me of that (have you seen the finishes on his guitars? Amazingly glossy).

I'd look at Dino's site before I made a decision. The look of the gloss on his guitars is second to none IMO. I like the relics, in general. But when you look at a clean guitar with high gloss, tough to beat. Your paint is obviously better pretected as well (if you want to keep it nice for a while). Apply enough clear and you could buff it out down the road after some of the wear and tear shows on the finish and it would still look brand new. Relic it, and your paint will keep going and going and going over time.

But what the hell do I know? Good luck. And please post a pic of the final product.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

If you've got access to the facilities to do a top-notch clear, do it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

lol after much consideration ive just put her back together without a clearcoat, im gonna let her relic up a bit n see how she looks in a few months time n maybe if im not happy redo her altogether n put a pearl laquer on her.
    the whole purpoes of this thread was really to see what others would do coz i know some guys like shiney n others like beat up im kinda stuck in the middle..lol
    im installing the electrics today and then tomorrow i'll string her up n give her a good set up then post some pics the colours have already been contraversal in my house (the wife hates the colours) but atleast it might start people talking.
    anyway guys thanks for all the input as ever top advice

tom

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

nitro it, and if you want to age it hit it after the nitro with so freon.
    John
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i'm done n finished it. i wired,strung and gave her a good set-up this afternoon and have been playing her since...i will post some pics tomorrow, buti'll give away the fact that its stiped but NOT the same as any of eds, the way i see it everyone has done the frankie reps (myself included) and everytime i blow out a vh tune i feel i bit of a fraud..lol
    so i just put my own stripe patern on and call it a tribute...but i think most of you guys are gonna hate the new one...i just threw together a couple of colours ive not seen anyone else use.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 Thru 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DUDE! Where's the pics? I wanna see it! I have reliced an old Kramer with black laquer and it was my first effort. I am interested to see how car paint jobs look. Mine was rattle cans.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Just yesterday morning I used a rattle can to paint the headstock of my newest custom guitar black--and I'm already frustrated with how it looks. I figured for something small like that it might be fastest. Anyone know how long it takes for the stuff to absolutely cure before it's wise to apply a clear coat?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Just yesterday morning I used a rattle can to paint the headstock of my newest custom guitar black--and I'm already frustrated with how it looks. I figured for something small like that it might be fastest. Anyone know how long it takes for the stuff to absolutely cure before it's wise to apply a clear coat?

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration Andrew, but I'm not surprised.
    If you're concerned with the appearence of your guitar, I strongly suggest staying away from rattlecans.

JMO

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The last 2 guitars I did with rattlecans (and they'll be the last per Dino's advice), I had completely different experiences. I feel your frustration, Andrew.

The first one, I applied the clear on about a week after I put the color on. Terrible experience here. I could never get the clear on smooth enough (even for a rattle can). I actually ended up sanding off the clear I had applied, then I re-applied a gloss white and left it that way. It looked good and for the most part still does. However, the paint has no protection, and after some time, you can tell it can't take the abuse.

The most recent one I did (Black and White Frankie clone), I cleared it about 10 hours after I applied the white\final color coat. Now, I did have good results with that. However, when I wet sanded and buffed, I found I didn't have near the clear coat on the paint that I thought I did. I used 2 cans of clear, and probably ingested about 2/3s of it (I did wear a respirator, believe it or not). I started wet sanding\buffing on the back of the body (in case I screwed it up, who looks at the back much anyway?). Wet sanding came out okay, buffing didn't. That's where I found out how little clear coat I had. Actually, it still looks pretty good, though. So for the front, I wet sanded and buffed by hand. Came out real good for simply buffing by hand.

Sorry to be so long winded. That's my take. Rattlecan clear to me is pretty fickle.

Good luck Andrew.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    personaly i would leave it atleast 2 weeks maybe more (depending on how many coats etc) then when its fully hardened use a fine cutting compound/paste to "cut" the paint this is similar to wet sanding but MUCH less aggressive and yealds better results in my opinion then when u are ready clear coat it and again leave it for a couple of weeks, then wet sand with 1600grit paper or cutting paste
    this is just what i have found works best for me, ive only actually clear coated 1 guitar and it worked a treat but i do it all the time if im re-touching the paint on my/ other folks cars...its just a matter of patience im affraid

tom

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post
    The last 2 guitars I did with rattlecans (and they'll be the last per Dino's advice), I had completely different experiences. I feel your frustration, Andrew.

The first one, I applied the clear on about a week after I put the color on. Terrible experience here. I could never get the clear on smooth enough (even for a rattle can). I actually ended up sanding off the clear I had applied, then I re-applied a gloss white and left it that way. It looked good and for the most part still does. However, the paint has no protection, and after some time, you can tell it can't take the abuse.

The most recent one I did (Black and White Frankie clone), I cleared it about 10 hours after I applied the white\final color coat. Now, I did have good results with that. However, when I wet sanded and buffed, I found I didn't have near the clear coat on the paint that I thought I did. I used 2 cans of clear, and probably ingested about 2/3s of it (I did wear a respirator, believe it or not). I started wet sanding\buffing on the back of the body (in case I screwed it up, who looks at the back much anyway?). Wet sanding came out okay, buffing didn't. That's where I found out how little clear coat I had. Actually, it still looks pretty good, though. So for the front, I wet sanded and buffed by hand. Came out real good for simply buffing by hand.

Sorry to be so long winded. That's my take. Rattlecan clear to me is pretty fickle.

Good luck Andrew.
    I have had simular experience with cans. for starters, everything I read said to wait as long as possible... weeks, months before clear coating.
    but my problem was simular to yours, get to close with the clear and it runs, back off a bit and after 3 cans, hardly any was actually on the guitar,
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph