Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

04.27.08 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Rip off or Right On!

Do you feel like this whole tour thing and promise of this being a new band with big plans is just a rip off to sell tix or are they right on the money with how they are playing this out, i.e. the press conf., site updates and potential new tunes and all?

I for one think this is just gonna be a big old fashion rip off. ya the show may be good and all, but for the price i just think they are trying to cash in now on a Dave reunion and the fans are gonna have to pay a large chunk of cash just to see it. Is that how you repay us for the 04 tour? Is that how your repay of for years of silence at a time? Is that how you repay of for "Up for Breakfast"? Is that how you repay of for staying up all night on this site for nuggets of info and rumors? Or...........is this a carefully planned outing that is geared towards rewarding fans and giving them what they want (sans Mikey of course). Could they actually be serious about giving us the absolute best they can and making it last? Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

There is a Charlie Brown and Lucy cartoon floating around here that says it all.

As so I don't land on my back after going for the 50 yard field goal, my expectations do not go beyond the ticket in hand for the Chicago show. My buds and I will go down, party it up and see Dave & Ed rock out some songs for days of old.

I've lowered my expectations of this band to the point where I'm just looking forward to getting out of town to party with friends, and that's it. Those of us well beyond our 20ís know what Iím talking about. The Sam and Mike show will be the same thing, with the added bonus of being genuine.

Ed turned this band into what he always preached it wouldn't be,,, a nostalgia act. Consider anything beyond that a bonus.
    VHLinks Fantasy Baseball Champions: 2004, 2009, 2011

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I believe Ed believes what he says when he says it. To some extent, they all do. But when a wife-beater tells his wife he really does love her and doesn't mean to hurt her and won't do it again, he in all likelihood also believes what he is saying.

Point being: Unless you've got your shit together in all areas of your life, your word only means so much and your commitments will suffer.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I like most of em
    Last Online

10.21.15 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think over the years they haven't known themselves exactly what was going to happen, so it would be kind of hard for them to convey it to anyone else.

All I can say is that it has been a long time since their website has shown any real vision. This time around it states a full site is launching in Sept. and the press conference (which didn't happen in 04) said that they were going to continue.

This is really the first time since Cherone joined the band that we have seen anything positive regarding the future coming out of the Van Halen camp.

I think all we can do is believe that they are going to give this a red hot go and keep our fingers crossed that we get five more years out of them. If its more, fantastic, if its less, it will be disappointing for sure, but they have given us a lot of music and entertainment in the past, so let's just enjoy what we have now.

You guys that live in the States and Canada are lucky enough to at least have another chance to see them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I believe Ed believes what he says when he says it. To some extent, they all do. But when a wife-beater tells his wife he really does love her and doesn't mean to hurt her and won't do it again, he in all likelihood also believes what he is saying.

Point being: Unless you've got your shit together in all areas of your life, your word only means so much and your commitments will suffer.

Andrew, I think that may be THE post of all posts here!!! What an awesome description of reality. In fact, whenever theres an argument here about Edward the terrible, this post should be inserted into it. By no means is it an excuse, but you sir, hit the nail of all nails on the head. Good one.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by hellohawk View Post
    There is a Charlie Brown and Lucy cartoon floating around here that says it all.

As so I don't land on my back after going for the 50 yard field goal, my expectations do not go beyond the ticket in hand for the Chicago show. My buds and I will go down, party it up and see Dave & Ed rock out some songs for days of old.

I've lowered my expectations of this band to the point where I'm just looking forward to getting out of town to party with friends, and that's it. Those of us well beyond our 20ís know what Iím talking about. The Sam and Mike show will be the same thing, with the added bonus of being genuine.

Ed turned this band into what he always preached it wouldn't be,,, a nostalgia act. Consider anything beyond that a bonus.

Yep. Just try to enjoy the show and don't worry about what's next.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post

Excellent point.

I'm sure the intentions are there but the execution is what's in question.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Yeah who really knows. They obviously got their shit a little more together now considering the press conference, site re-design and updates. Things that didn't happen in 2004. I hope it is going to continue but again only time will tell.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.29.12 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe that one element will determine the fate of Van halen...Alcohol. Simply put, if Ed can keep away from the bottle, which is a monumental task for him, he should be able to function on stage with DLR. The two of them don't need to be seen holding hands in public, just keep a working relationship and surround themselves with positive support groups. If Ed has, in fact, as some are saying, already hit the skids again then this whole effort is for naught.
    Like some of the posters wrote before me, don't look past the horizon, enjoy what you have now because there may not be a tomorrow with this band.
    "A unit joined to infinity adds nothing to it anymore than one foot added to infinite length. The finite is swallowed up by the infinite and becomes pure zero. So our minds are before God."
    -Blaise Pascal

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think it's somewhat of a rip off in the sense that I think that they want Van Halen Mach IV to become a viable, recording band. I also think it's short sighted and myopic for anyone to think that the above is a reasonable outcome given the history of this band. So, in that sense, they are most likely lying to themselves.

All I know is that I'm not interested at the moment. I hope that they put on a great show for the people who decide to attend but, as that pesky recent histroy will tell us, the show has a large potential to be quite sub-par despite the best intentions.

Wake me up when there's new music and/or they are kicking ass on stage.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellohawk View Post

I purposely got tix for 10/1 Philly, since I think it may fall apart before NY on 11/8

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think it's equal parts stupid and pathetic to do this without an entire album of new music first.

It's pathetic because you get a new bass player, brag on and on about how he's a shredder and how he's going to allow a new dimension to the playing of one of the premiere guitar players in the history of rock and roll. Then you go out and play nothing but songs that don't require that bass players alleged skill level, and won't really show anything from said guitarist that we haven't seen already.

It gets stupid because I think a new album, already released and assuming it's good, gives the band something to point to internally when the inevitable pressures arise. These are guys that are always looking for the smallest things to permanently derail their efforts. Without an album out, it'll be easier to just say 'fuck it' when things get tough. A good new album is something they can look at when they're asking themselves why they are doing this in the difficult moments.

This is the world's most dangerous band when it comes to putting things off. Put music out now while you can, because one wrong swig of JD by Dave or one wrong chug of Smoking Loon by the total loon and it gets shelved forever!

It's not a matter of it being a ripoff. The prices are going to be the same with or without a new record, and with or without Michael Anthony. And they don't owe us for past situations, they need to look forward and do right today, then do right tomorrow etc.

The whole thing is a matter of right and wrong. Sadly we're dealing with Van Halen, where the motto appears to be 'One good wrong deserves another'!
    Last edited by Glenn; 08.25.07 at 10:27 AM.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I think it's equal parts stupid and pathetic to do this without an entire album of new music first.

It's pathetic because you get a new bass player, brag on and on about how he's a shredder and how he's going to allow a new dimension to the playing of one of the premium guitar players in the history of rock and roll. Then you go out and play nothing but songs that don't require that bass players alleged skill level, and won't really show anything from said guitarist that we haven't seen already.

I gets stupid because I think a new album, already released and assuming it's good, gives the band something to point to internally when the inevitable pressures arise. These are guys that are always looking for the smallest things to permanently derail their efforts. Without an album out, it'll be easier to just say 'fuck it' when things get tough. A good new album is something they can look at when they're asking themselves why they are doing this in the difficult moments.
    Excellent points.

Last Online

07.10.09 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

rip off.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.29.08 @ 01:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems logical to me though, that the VH bros. want to see if they can get along/tour with Roth, and avoid snorting 1/2 of the GNP of Bolivia (etc) before going the extra mile and recording a new CD. It wouldn't surprise me if Roth's already added vocals to pre-existing tracks, and they're just waiting till the tour's over to drop the bomb. Unfortunately, rock 'n' roll marketing dictates that a returning act do the obligatory oldies tour first, in case a new CD somehow taints the legacy of the act. For example, acts ranging from Kiss, to Iggy and the Stooges cashed in on various tours, before dropping a new "stinkeroo" of a CD (LOL!) to lukewarm response. I seem to remember Jane's Addiction doing the "honorable" thing, creating a new CD (that sucked), then doing the reunion tour, and the whole thing kinda went right down the drain, to the point of Lollapallooza biting the dust for a while. It's almost like the shitty new CD killed interest in the modern incarnation of the band. For the record, I do think VH has the ability to pull off more great CD's, especially if they leave the trendy Miller Lite commercial style of songwriting behind - but traditional rock 'n' roll marketing unfortunately is the reason there is not a new Cd on the shelves yet. Unfortunately, contradictory to DLR, VH are currently following the marketing logic of The Police, to a T. Let's hope that changes.