Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Out of all the Kings, Eddie is doing the best.

There have been a handful of kings in our time:

Elvis: The King Of Rock-N-Roll

Michael Jackson: The King Of Pop

Eddie Van Halen: The King Of Guitar

Out of these three kings, it would seem that Eddie Van Halen is doing the best. Elvis is dead, and Michael Jackson has the shroud of pedophilia hanging over his head. What does Eddie have? A history of drug and alcohol addiction. What celebrity doesn't have that? I can probably count them on two hands.
    Think about it. Sure, Eddie has made some stupid mistakes. But the dude is a better dad to his son than a lot of alcoholics are. Eddie may not be making his fans happy by severing ties with Michael Anthony, but he is sure pouring some love down on his son Wolfgang. That's better than a lot of rock stars are doing. Most of them are on the road 24/7 and completely emotionally unavailable to their families.

Michael said in his latest blog that he wishes the best for Wolfgang. Who knows, this could be Eddie's last tour. He wants to do one with his son. Good for Eddie. I hope Wolfgang rocks the fuck out of that bass.

You see, we are seeing this from our eyes. Eddie sees it in a different way. He remembers when he jammed with his dad and his brother Alex when they were kids. His dad took them onstage with him. Eddie simply wants to pass that on to Wolfgang. Who can blame him?

Eddie is far from a perfect rock star and a perfect dad. But he's doing a lot better than the other kings in his league.

I'd still pay to see Eddie rock... I don't care who the singer or bass player is.

Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 08.24.07 at 12:41 AM.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

I think Ed as King of Guitar would be disputed by many, whereas Elvis and MJ are pretty much considerd the Kings of their respective genres, without much dispute....

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream is over, Dreams
    Last Online

01.02.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I think Ed as King of Guitar would be disputed by many, whereas Elvis and MJ are pretty much considerd the Kings of their respective genres, without much dispute....
    I agree. Also, Ed's crown has been taken by others that are still in the game. He's hardly even made the cover of Guitar mags this decade.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess I didn't think much about the possibility of anyone disputing Eddie's crown. But, there are obviously those who do:

http://www.google.com/search?complet...g+of+guitar%22

Being a product of the 80's, everyone I know has always touted Eddie Van Halen as the undisputed "King Of Guitar". I mean, sure there are a few contenders... but in many circles, Justin Timberlake is recognized as the current "King Of Pop". I guess I never really thought of Eddie as anything other than the King Of Guitar. To me, that would be like saying Princess Diana is not a princess.

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

MJ King of Pop?

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    I guess I didn't think much about the possibility of anyone disputing Eddie's crown. But, there are obviously those who do:

http://www.google.com/search?complet...g+of+guitar%22

Being a product of the 80's, everyone I know has always touted Eddie Van Halen as the undisputed "King Of Guitar". I mean, sure there are a few contenders... but in many circles, Justin Timberlake is recognized as the current "King Of Pop". I guess I never really thought of Eddie as anything other than the King Of Guitar. To me, that would be like saying Princess Diana is not a princess.

That little fukr peaked with ABC and it has been all downhill since. What a bunch of shite

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dropped-d View Post
    That little fukr peaked with ABC and it has been all downhill since. What a bunch of shite
    Gimme a break. You know you would still like to hear him and Dave rock out on Unchained or Everybody Wants Some.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyway, I think everyone is missing the point so far.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

King of Rock = Run-DMC

There is none higher.

"And I won't stop rockin' til I retire!"

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Richard Petty is still "The King". And his title will never be disputed.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always hated the term "King" in any context. Michael Jackson, the self-appointed King of Pop. Elvis, anointed King by HIS fans. I know Little Richard and Chuck Berry take issue with coronation of Elvis', and, I believe, rightfully so.

Eddie as the "King of Guitar"? Greatly influential for sure but more so than Hendrix? My point is such titles are meaningless. He may, presently be in better shape than MJ or Elvis but all three will be pushing daisies at some point. Then legacys will be judged.

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you would have to ba a guitar player to even jump in this. Having said that, there are many different kinds of players out there who just rule in different ways, so saying there is a 'king' is all subjective. But since guitar magazines like to title Ed with this, I'll play but say that IMO Eddie lost that crown long, long ago.

You see, you have to do things that are still relevant and continue producing music to show off this great talent. Eddie has not done that for at least 15 years. He can only ride on the guitar work that VH's first 6 albums produced for so long. Then you have to do something meaningful and fresh. To get that, you have to continually learn and grow. That hasn't happened. And I wonder if that boring ass solo is ever going to change during this tour? Not that it isn't difficult to play, but c'mon break out of the box a little!

There are guitarists who play circles around Ed like it or not. And they are constantly producing music that proves it. Here's a short list of my favs:

George Lynch
    Paul Gilbert
    Steve Vai
    John Pettrucci
    Zakk Wylde

All of the above release material pretty regularly. Plus these guys give back to the guitar/music community with instructional material or passing along their secrets in publication. For instance George Lynch has his online guitar academy which I hear is extremely cool. Gilbert and Pettrucci are always on Guitar World CDROMS with great guitar/meaningful insight. Eddie doesn't do any of that.

This of course does not include the hundreds of exceptionally great players that are sitting in basements or taking classes at GIT.

As a player, I recognize the importance of Ed's contribution to the guitar world. It was monumental. But this was based on his very early work and fair minded guitar players know when they see a dry well. They look for water elsewhere for inspiration. Honestly, not much exciting has happened since F.U.C.K. And since then he has really been just a gear pimp. His last two covers in GW were both based on his outragously priced gear and had NOTHING to do with any music or playing that has been produced.

Ed has been very fortunate to have had the PR and hype machine working for him like he has. I just don't see or hear anything that supports it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffc12 View Post
    I agree. Also, Ed's crown has been taken by others that are still in the game. He's hardly even made the cover of Guitar mags this decade.
    Which Magazines have you been reading?? He has always been either mention or place in many covers over the past few years.
    And name me one player who has taken Eddie's crown.
    I dare you could not even name one.
    Eddie is still the King, the rest are all posers who think that doing 110 notes a minutes impressed the hell out of me.

Eddie plays with heart and feeling. Period.
    Eddie is a musician the rest are all clone copies.
    LONG LIVE VH... DESTROY HATERS!!!! MODE ON

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance, ADKOFT
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, As Is
    Last Online

03.30.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

.........You are no longer welcome here........

J/K

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThruVHfanatic View Post
    Eddie plays with heart and feeling. Period.
    Eddie is a musician the rest are all clone copies.
    You are obviously a one dimensional thinker on this topic.

There lots of players who play with heart and feeling. If you can't 'feel' them, that's your thing.

That second statement was just plain idiotic and you obviously know nothing about being a musician.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 285 Times in 146 Posts

Elvis didn't even write his own songs, so I dispute his crown.

I love Eddie's music, but I'm not so sure he's the king of guitar anymore. I hope he proves me wrong in Charlotte and the real Eddie is back.
    Last edited by RKVH5150; 08.24.07 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added stuff