Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

It Should Have Been Better..."The Replacements" Thread...

Like I said...no justice video-wise...I wish ya better boys, yet I guess you are used to it.

The Replacements / Achin' To Be (3:42)

The Replacements - Bastards of Young

Replacements - Talent Show

Here Comes A Regular...Fuck the video...
    Last edited by chefcraig; 08.22.07 at 11:07 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

The Replacements - The Ledge

The Replacements - Merry Go Round
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For some reason, none of your videos allows one to play it.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Awesome thread to start, chef, from one of my hometown bands...

I saw Westerberg now almost three years ago when he was starting to play a lot of The Replacements songs again. Michael Bland (formerly Prince's drummer--now with Soul Asylum) was playing with him on that tour, and he comp-ed us the tickets. There were a LOT of ecstatic 30-to-40 somethings singing along loudly with those tunes!

I wonder if the rumored reunion will ever happen. (Tommy would have to break free from Guns N' Bastardized Roses for a while if it were to happen.)

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    For some reason, none of your videos allows one to play it.
    Odd, they work on my end...loudly.
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My apologies, Chef. They're working just fine for me now. (Damn electronic gizmos.)

I was never into the Replacements, and it's funny because I was a pr person for several similar Minneapolis bands when Westerberg and co. arrived on the scene.

Thought I'd give them another listen, because they've always been critically acclaimed and, of course, there's the obvious Tommy Stinson/G N' R connection.

Alas, still can't into them. Maybe it's Westerberg's voice, maybe his done-before subject matter, maybe it's because the songs all sound the same to me. Oh well, my loss I guess. But enjoy!
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default Westerberg Returns To Action In Minneapolis

from www.billboard.com:

September 24, 2007, 10:50 AM ET

Jon Bream, Minneapolis

The good news is that Paul Westerberg is writing songs again, but the bad news is there is neither an album nor a tour in the immediate future. The reclusive Minneapolis icon took to the stage last night (Sept. 23) at the city's First Avenue for an installment of "The Craft," a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame chat-and-sing series a la VH1's "Songwriters."

Warren Zanes, currently of the Hall of Fame and formerly of the Del Fuegos, interviewed Westerberg for 90 minutes and the Replacements leader played 10 tunes from his 'Mats ("Skyway," "Can't Hardly Wait") and solo catalogs ("Dyslexic Heart," "World Class Fad").

Zanes asked insider questions about song sequencing on albums and writing bridges for tunes. But he also pulled a few nuggets that Replacements' fans would dig:

-- Producer Jim Dickinson added overdubs, including strings, on "Pleased To Meet Me" that Westerberg didn't discover until he heard the album.

-- Each of the three Replacements was in separate rooms for the recording; Westerberg was in the studio hallway. "I had ZZ Top in the next room," he said. "It never leaked on to the tape but I could hear 'Sharp Dressed Man' in the next room."

-- On those sessions, "They sampled Chris' [Mars] kick drum. That's why it rocks," he said. "Chris could play the hell out of snare and high hat."

-- After John Cale came by to record violin on "Sadly Beautiful" on "All Shook Down," the Replacements had to hide his instruments because Lou Reed, Cale's ex-colleague in Velvet Underground, was coming down to the studio that night.

-- Westerberg took a three-and-a-half year hiatus after his son Johnny was born. "I liked it more than I contemplated," he said. "I found it so fulfilling that I found it hard to strap on an electric guitar."

-- Zanes asked about Westerberg mythology, calling him the J.D. Salinger of rock for going underground. Quipped the artist, "I'm the Catcher in the Slump."

Appearing in front of 500 people on a legendary nightclub stage converted into a talk-show set, Westerberg performed one new song, "Everyone's Stupid," which he explained was about a friend of his now 9-year-old son who was the last to know about his parents' impending divorce. The song was from the kid's point of view.

The singer also offered a 'Mats outtake, "Make the Best of Me, " which he said the band rejected as being too "spiritual" during the "All Shook Down" era.

Zanes had Westerberg pick four favorite songs -- the Beatles' "Hello, Goodbye," the Rolling Stones' "Tumblin' Dice," the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" and Jimmy Reed's "You Got Me Running" -- and talk about them. One of the night's highlights was when Westerberg, after saying "I wish I could play it," spontaneously played the J5 smash as an instrumental on acoustic guitar.

Zanes didn't ask about Westerberg's fretting hand, which he injured in December while trying trying to clean some candle wax with a screwdriver. In an interview with the Minneapolis Star Tribune in June, the guitarist said, "I'm one-third of the way to being possibly 80 percent all better." In other words, the doctor told him it would take 18 months to recover from the injury -- damaged nerves in the webbed area between the ring and pinkie finger -- and he would regain only 80 percent use of his hand.

Westerberg had to re-teach himself how to play guitar. It didn't seem to be a problem last night though, as he accompanied himself on acoustic and electric guitars, six- and 12-strings in both styles.

After hitting "a dry spell," the less-than-prolific star has been writing again but doesn't know if he's close to completing an album. He has turned down offers from Universal and Sony to start his own label.

After the taping, Zanes told Billboard.com that Westerberg was his "favorite" interview in the series thus far. "I was reared on his stuff," Zanes said. "I was nervous about what Paul I would get. I'm really pleased with how generous he was. Paul sounded like he was at home up there; I wasn't expecting that. Clearly, his maturation process has been a dignified one."

Interviews in "The Craft" series can be heard in their entirety at the Hall of Fame archives or in part via Rockhall.com/thecraft. Already taped are Elvis Costello, Patty Griffin, Jim James (of My Morning Jacket) and Ben Gibbard. Scheduled for interviews are Frank Black Oct. 17 in San Diego and Aimee Mann Oct. 23 in Chicago.

Jon Bream is a music critic for the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Last Online

"Bastards Of Young"/"On The Bus" The Replacements Live 1-18-86 (6:09)

Paul Westerberg - "Daydream Believer" (2:47)
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Default Long-Awaited Replacements Reissues Due In April

from www.billboard.com:

February 12, 2008, 10:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
    The Replacements' first three albums and an EP will be reissued in remastered, expanded form this spring, completing a long awaited upgrade of the seminal band's early work. "Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash," "Stink," "Hootenanny" and "Let It Be" will arrive April 22 via Rhino, Billboard.com can reveal.

Originally released on the band's hometown label, Twin/Tone, the albums were prepped for reissue by Replacements manager Peter Jesperson, with involvement from the surviving band members.

The Replacements' debut, 1981's "Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash," introduced its lovably shambling rock style via tracks like "Shiftless When Idle," "Takin a Ride" and "Johnny's Gonna Die." Bonus material includes frontman Paul Westerberg's original four-song demo from 1980, several outtakes and the B-side "If Only You Were Lonely."

The EP "Stink" followed in 1982, tearing through eight songs in 15 minutes. The four bonus tracks on the new edition are all previously unreleased: the outtakes "Staples in Her Stomach," "Hey, Good Lookin'" and "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," plus a Westerberg home demo of "You're Getting Married."

The Replacements' sophomore album, "Hootenanny," arrived in April 1983, further cementing its status as one of the most exciting new rock bands in America on the strength of songs such as "Within Your Reach" and "Color Me Impressed." Rhino's new edition boasts six previously unreleased tracks, including a demo of "Bad Worker" and an alternate take of "Treatment Bound."

Rhino's final reissue in this batch, "Let It Be," is regarded by many as the Replacements' best album. The 1984 release boasts indelible tracks such as "Unsatisfied," "I Will Dare" and "Androgynous"; it is here bolstered by an alternate version of "Sixteen Blue," the home demo for "Answering Machine" and covers of the Grass Roots' "Temptation Eyes" and T. Rex's "20th Century Boy."

Later this year, Rhino will continue the reissue campaign with expanded editions of the Replacements' Sire catalog: "Tim," "Pleased To Meet Me," "Don't Tell a Soul" and "All Shook Down."

Here is the bonus material for the Replacements reissues (previously unissued tracks marked with *):

"Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash":

"Raised in the City," live, 1980 - demo*
    "Shutup," live, 1980 - demo*
    "Don't Turn Me Down," live, 1980 - demo*
    "Shape Up," live, 1980 - demo*
    "You Ain't Gotta Dance," studio demo*
    "Get on the Stick," studio demo*
    "Oh Baby," studio demo*
    "Like You," outtake*
    "Get Lost," outtake*
    "A Toe Needs a Shoe," outtake*
    "Customer," alternate take*
    "Basement Jam," rehearsal*
    "If Only You Were Lonely"

"Stink":

"Staples in Her Stomach," outtake*
    "Hey, Good Lookin'," outtake*
    "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," outtake*
    "You're Getting Married," solo home demo*

"Hootenanny":

"Lookin' for Ya"
    "Junior's Got a Gun," outtake - rough mix*
    "Ain't No Crime," outtake*
    "Johnny Fast," outtake - rough mix*
    "Treatment Bound," alternate version*
    "Lovelines," alternate vocal*
    "Bad Worker," solo home demo*

"Let It Be":

"20th Century Boy"
    "Perfectly Lethal," outtake*
    "Temptation Eyes," outtake*
    "Answering Machine," solo home demo*
    "Heartbeat -- It's a Lovebeat," outtake - rough mix*
    "Sixteen Blue," outtake - alternate vocal*

Last Online

Cool. Now if only Rhino would release the "cassette-only" Live album "The Shit Hit's The Fans". The cover artwork was by drummer Chris Mars, and was an actual Twin Tone release. I had a copy way back when. Sadly, it has become extremely rare.

I did find a website that features the album plus some bonus cuts:http://www.last.fm/music/The+Replace...s+...+and+More

George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how did i miss this damn thread?

seen' em open for Tom Petty, and then for Elvis Costello...when they hit the stage that night, Stinson says "at least we don't have to listen to Free Fallin'."

i've seen Westerberg solo maybe six or seven times...talked to him briefly after a show and got my Grandpaboy CD signed...the bus was right out front of the venue and Paul sat on the steps and hung around for maybe an hour, smokin' a cigar, signing stuff and talkin' shit. it was great. also saw Bash & Pop (Tommy's first post-Mats band) twice. Friday Night Is Killing Me is a great disc.

Westerberg shows are always fun. one of 'em (can't even remember what tour it was or what venue it was, lol) the crowd is yelling out songs...someone yelled out Buck Hill and Paul thought the guy said "fuck you," and yells "fuck you!" back to the crowd and gives us the double bird. the guitar player says no, it was Buck Hill, and they launch right into it. Skyway always becomes a big singalong...then there was the feud with Ryan Adams...during Alex Chilton, the line was changed to "i never travel far without a little...Ryan Adams..."
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

Replacements Leaving Door Open For Reunion

Wes Orshoski, N.Y.-With the first phase of a long-awaited reissue campaign beginning this week, the Replacements are back in the spotlight 17 years removed from a messy breakup. Even more notable: principal members Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson aren't ruling out the possibility of a reunion.

Stinson tells Billboard the group has received lucrative offers to perform at Coachella and other major festivals, and that he and Westerberg were close to accepting this year. The group would have been rounded out by session drummer Josh Freese (replacing original drummer Chris Mars, who has retired from music to focus on painting), and an unnamed lead guitarist (replacing Stinson's late half-brother Bob, who died in 1995).

"We actually talked about it again this year, and I think there was a consensus that, you know, maybe it wasn't the right time (to reunite), or maybe it is the right time," Stinson says. "Paul and I were kind of in cahoots talking to them [and] talking to (his manager) Darren (Hill). There were some things thrown out, and there were other festivals that wanted it too, if we were going to do it.

"At the last minute, it just didn't seem like the right thing to do, so we didn't do it. But I think Paul and I have something to offer each other still. I think that's pretty obvious when we get together."

"I'm very hesitant about dragging the name out there and what damage we could do to the legend," Westerberg offers. "Whatever we did, someone would want something else. If I went up there straight, they'd want us wasted. If we were f--ked up, they'd want us to be this or that.

"But, I don't know," he continues. "The records hold the key to the whole thing. So if I was ever going to play, I'd like to play once the whole shooting match is out, because I don't think I could physically get up there and bellow these 18 songs (from) that first record. That's just sheer youth there. I can't find that in a bottle or a pill. I'm just too creaky for that.

The group's first four albums arrive in remastered, expanded form tomorrow (April 22) via Rhino. Reissues of the band's four major-label successors for Sire will follow later this year.

For extensive Q&A's with Westerberg and Stinson, visit Billboard.com tomorrow.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003791810
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Default More Replacements Reissues, Westerberg Download Due

from www.billboard.com:

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

As expected, Rhino will on Sept. 23 release expanded reissues of the Replacements' final four albums for Sire Records. Each album features a host of previously unreleased bonus tracks; the entire reissue catalog will also see digital release the same day.

The Replacements' major-label debut, 1985's "Tim," features some of the band's most enduring material, including "Bastards of Young," "Kiss Me on the Buss," "Left of the Dial" and "Waitress in the Sky."

The reissue includes alternate versions of the latter song as well as "Here Comes a Regular," a demo for "Kiss Me on the Bus" recorded with producer Tommy Ramone, and three outtakes from sessions tracked with Big Star's Alex Chilton, including both acoustic and electric versions of "Can't Hardly Wait."

The new version of 1987's "Pleased To Meet Me" includes 11 bonus tracks, seven of which are seeing the light of day for the first time. Among them are demos of "Birthday Gal," "Bundle Up" and "Valentine," plus an alternate version of "Alex Chilton."

The outtake "We Know the Night," a cover of Slade's "Gudbuy T' Jane" and a demo for "Talent Show" enrich 1989's "Don't Tell a Soul," while the Replacements' 1990 swan-song, "All Shook Down," sports eight previously unreleased demos for songs like "Torture," "Tiny Paper Plane" and "One Wink At a Time."

In April, Rhino reissued the Replacements' first three albums and an EP for hometown Minneapolis label Twin Tone. They've since sold 22,000 copies combined in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In related news, frontman Paul Westerberg is planning to release a host of new music for 49 cents via his Web site on Saturday (July 19). The artist's last solo release was 2004's "Folker."

Last Online

Paul Westerberg Offers New Album For 49 Cents

Despite the fact that he doesn't have a computer and may never have been online in his life, Replacements frontman Paul Westerberg is the latest artist to embrace the Internet for rapid dissemination of new music.

Yesterday, Westerberg made available a 44-minute single MP3 file of a dozen-plus songs, dubbed "49," for 49 cents. Amazon.com is handling the commerce via a link from the Westerberg Web site Men Without Ties. Tunecore will begin carrying the release later today.

"He finished it on Monday, sent it to me on Tuesday and it was out this weekend," Westerberg manager Darren Hill tells Billboard.com. "It's just wonderful that you can actually do this. The freedom an artist can enjoy these days is fantastic. Can you imagine me pitching this idea to a label?"

The 49-cent price was a joking suggestion from Westerberg to charge "a penny a minute," but Amazon.com was the only digital retailer that "would play ball with me on the price point," Hill says.

"49" has no track list or lyrics, keeping with a long-standing Westerberg tradition. But a handful of the songs will be familiar to hardcore fans, including an alternate version of "Out of My System," which previously appeared on the compilation "Hot Stove, Cool Music," and "Everyone's Stupid," which is written from the perspective of a pre-teen who discovers he's the last to know about his parents' impending divorce.

Westerberg played all the instruments on the decidedly lo-fi recordings, which often feature two songs playing at once for a few seconds and short snippets that abruptly cut off. "It's almost like you're scanning a radio dial," Hill says. "You're getting a glimpse inside of Paul's head here."

"49" concludes with a strange mash-up of partial covers such as the Partidge Family's "I Think I Love You," the Beatles' "Hello, Goodbye," Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild," Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" and Elton John's "Rocket Man," and a rave-up apparently sung by Westerberg's pre-teen son Johnny.

Without revealing specifics, Hill says "49" is "just the tip of a really large creative iceberg. Paul has been writing and recording at a furious pace." However, he adds that "there are no plans or talk of doing any performances at the moment."

Westerberg has only performed once since severely injuring his fretting hand in 2006 while trying to remove candle wax with a screwdriver: he was the subject of a September 2007 episode of "The Craft," a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame chat-and-sing series a la VH1's "Songwriters," at Minneapolis' First Avenue, during which "Everyone's Stupid" was premiered.

As previously reported, the Replacements' major-label catalog will be reissued in expanded form Sept. 23 via Rhino.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003829871

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ummm, ok... I have never listened to this band in my entire life until just now... I'm REALLY digging these guys!!! Very cool.... This just shows how "great music requires a host". In order to find good music, one needs an introduction. Thanks craig!!!
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!