Register
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

Default SAMMY A NO-SHOW AT BRAD DELP CONCERT?

I read this on melodic rock so maybe Andrew can help. Anyone know why Sam, who was listed with Mickey Thomas of Starship as gues vocalists in a tribute concert for Brad Delp of Boston (8/19) WAS A NO-SHOW . Both he and Thomas did not show--only Michael Sweet of Stryper fame was there. I am sure there was a reason since we know Sam is generally a stand-up guy as was known to be a good friend of Delp. THANKS.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING VH IN PHILLY 10/1, NASSAU, MSG, NJ and SAMMY AND MIKE if they come anywhere near Long Island/NY Area/

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

CONCERT REVIEW - Tribute show salutes Boston’s Brad Delp

A tribute to Brad Delp, who died earlier this year, was held during the weekend. (Patriot Ledger file photo)
    By CHAD BERNDTSON
    For The Patriot Ledger

Tribute concerts to fallen stars are often messy logistical affairs. ‘‘How should we honor the departed?’’ and ‘‘Who should sing what?’’ aren’t easy questions, especially considering the scope, in this case, of Brad Delp’s talents and the balance of his two core creative outlets: ’70s and ’80s arena rock bigwigs Boston and the charmed Fab Four cover group Beatle Juice.

True to form, the planning for ‘‘Come Together: A Tribute to the Life of Brad Delp’’ took a number of twists and turns in the past months, with a lineup and structure that saw revisions as late as last Thursday. But these things tend to work out because the right hearts are in the right places, and ‘‘Come Together,’’ last night at the Bank of America Pavilion, was a satisfying five-hour salute to one of the Boston area’s most beloved rock figures.

Even if you had no idea who the man was, you would have walked away from the concert with an understanding of Delp’s sizable musical output and also the feeling that he was a gentle, loving soul, beloved by his friends, family and peers. The singer was found dead in his New Hampshire home on March 9, and his death was ruled a suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning.

The much fussed-over roster promised a vast collection of Boston members, past and present, and delivered on that promise in its final hour. Long before that, the show opened with Ernie and the Automatics, the hard-rocking blues group led by New England car mogul Ernie Boch Jr. and featuring keyboardist/vocalist Brian Maes and Boston’s Barry Goudreau. The band was on for only two songs, but they lit the fuse for the evening, with a knotty instrumental and Eric Clapton’s ‘‘Blues Power.’’

The Beatles catalog, which Delp loved so dearly, buoyed the first half of the show, in which Beatle Juice’s hourlong set generated the most gravitas. Introduced by Delp’s fiancée, Pamela Sullivan, as Delp’s ‘‘hobby band,’’ Beatle Juice offered eight songs with four different vocalists, including ‘‘Getting Better,’’ ‘‘Get Back,’’ ‘‘All My Loving,’’ ‘‘I Am the Walrus,’’ and ‘‘Money (That’s What I Want).’’ The band took it to another level with ‘‘Revolution’’ (sung by Fools vocalist Mike Girard) and ‘‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps,’’ featuring original Beatle Juice guitarist Bob Squires in a spirited, if fairly rote expose.

From there the show shifted to other acts significant to Boston the band and/or Boston the city, starting with Farrenheit, which opened for Boston throughout its heyday, and Extreme, which didn’t scrimp on its own hits, including ‘‘Rest in Peace,’’ ‘‘More Than Words’’ and ‘‘Cold Hearted.’’ The latter tune brought out Paul Geary, Extreme’s first drummer, who’d also had a hand in booking the evening’s talent.

A later set by Boston metal heroes Godsmack saw the band in a principally acoustic format - its connection to Delp a bit more tenuous than other acts on the bill, but playing with no less resolve.

A touching video that included a montage of Delp photos and performance footage came next, mixing interviews with Sullivan and members of Delp’s family. The night’s penultimate act, RTZ - once a post-Boston project for Delp and guitarist Barry Goudreau - rode the sentimentality wave, with keyboardist Maes singing lead vocals on ‘‘Face the Music,’’ ‘‘Until Your Love Comes Back Around,’’ and the heartfelt ‘‘What You Leave Behind.’’ RTZ closed with a new single, ‘‘Set the Songbird Free,’’ yet another tune that seemed to address Delp’s departure directly.

When Boston finally arrived, the crowd was primed for nostalgia and hat-tipping, and the band didn’t fall short in either category, moving through hits and alumni almost at the same speed.

Before the grand finale, ‘‘Don’t Look Back,’’ guitarist Tom Scholz offered a lengthy speech, introducing all past and present Boston members who were in the house and bringing all hands to the stage, including Goudreau, David Sikes, Doug Huffman, Curly Smith, Jim Masdea, Fran Cosmo and Fran Sheehan.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

I went and it was a great show. I knew some of ther performers and it was nice to see all the great music. I wish Sammy had been there though. Mickey Thomas also has a great voice. The singer in my VH tribute BalancE was there and he looks just like Sammy. Needless to say, he got lots of looks and even took some pics with fans. Pretty funny. R.I.P. Brad.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

It was announced a few days before the show that Hagar would not be appearing at the show. I had my doubts.

Anwway, who cares about him not coming to the tribute show. What about him bringing the fall tour to the east coast!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    It was announced a few days before the show that Hagar would not be appearing at the show. I had my doubts.

Anwway, who cares about him not coming to the tribute show. What about him bringing the fall tour to the east coast!
    I don't mind if the east coast is scheduled for winter or spring. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of money on VH during the G'boro weekend so I don't mind waiting a few months for red Sambo. He has only been to Raleigh once (Sam and Dave) since his split with VH so I suspect I'll be traveling to the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach to him.

If any of Hagar's people see this look into Progress
    Energy Center at Memorial Auditorium in Raleigh. It is a great mid sized (about 2,250 capacity) venue for concerts.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/