Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Default USA wolfgang neck VS. the korean special

My question. Is the neck profile on the usa model any different than the usa special or the foreign built special???? I have only owned and speced out the ernie ball. I am going to buy a wolfgang just for the purpose of specing the neck for my upcoming guitars. I want to be able to offer both the ernie ball contour and the wolfgang contour as options. But I need to know from somebody wich wolfgang neck is prefered or more accurate. Thanks

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, man, but I've never played an exp special. However, Warmoth does offer a Wolfgang Contour, as an option on their necks. I don't know how true to the real specs it is, but click and scroll down if you're interested:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...=back_profiles
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

You may also consider standard vs. USA special. IMO, they seem to feel quite different. Some will argue it is the neck angle... I also tried someone's Special from the PV custom shop. That neck seemed to be closer to the EBMM. More mini baseball bat like... the owner of that guitar claims it's the same as his "regular" special, so it maybe just me...?
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i find the wolf to be nothing like the ebmm. owning 3 ebmm's and working for a peavey store for 3 yrs, i found the wolfs to be wider because of the radius and not as comfy as the ebmm's.

Last Online

I'm with you bud! I love the EBMM!
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

I have owned a few ebmm's too. Only the evh. What I am doing is digitizing all of them. To me it is a no brainer to offer all 3 of the contours. original evh, axis and evh. The one I was not sure about was the wolfgang. I am probably best off sticking with modeling the usa model. All of those will have some slight variences anyway from sanding. What was amazing to me is the jump eddie made from the ernie ball radius to the peavy. What I would really like to see is the the new fender custom shop contour. Any body played one that can comment on that contour compared to the rest? Thanks for the input!!!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've owned 21 Wolfgangs, 19 at the present. There is variance in the necks from one to the next. I have two Special flame tops with noticeably thinner necks. I have two custom shop Wolfies that have what are likely the exact intended neck contour. I have Patent Pending models and one produced near the end of the run. Though all are familiar, they definitely vary.

If you're able to profile a custom shop or Patent Pending Wolfgang, you will most likely get the real deal. There really is no difference in the Standards or Specials, except the headstock angle.

Last Online

Cool, thanks for the input! You seem to be a resident Wolf expert here. Guess I'm not crazy! What's your guess on the neck inconsistencies?
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    You seem to be a resident Wolf expert here.
    That may be the understatement of the year.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    Cool, thanks for the input! You seem to be a resident Wolf expert here. Guess I'm not crazy! What's your guess on the neck inconsistencies?
    It's just the piece of wood and the sanding required on each. My guess is as long as each neck fell within certain size and contour parameters upon completion, it was deemed suitable.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know AT is the Wolfgang "guru" here and he's answered alot of questions for me, but I,ll put my .02 in about the neck question. Since I own all 3 guitars in question here, my flame-top USA Special has the closest "feel" to my EVH EBMM. The regular Wolf has a "fatter" more rounded baseball bat type feel. I know there's alot of "feelings" going on , but what's even more fucked-up is that the regular USA special (to me) has a different "feeling" than my Wolf deluxe or my flame-top special...............

Feeeeeelings, woh,woh,woh,feeeeeelings..................
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Bob View Post
    I know AT is the Wolfgang "guru" here and he's answered alot of questions for me, but I,ll put my .02 in about the neck question. Since I own all 3 guitars in question here, my flame-top USA Special has the closest "feel" to my EVH EBMM. The regular Wolf has a "fatter" more rounded baseball bat type feel. I know there's alot of "feelings" going on , but what's even more fucked-up is that the regular USA special (to me) has a different "feeling" than my Wolf deluxe or my flame-top special...............
    How is the newest 'gang, Bob? You likey the Wolfie?

That'd be the variance I talked about. Different tree, different manufacturing day, the guy doing the final sanding just after drinking a 20 ounce Americano, the guy doing the final sanding while in need of a 20 ounce Americano... lots of factors in why they're slightly different from one to the next.

Here's another thing: I've noticed the hard rock maple necks are much more stable than the birdseye maple necks. Any awkward drying or twists related to seasonal changes I've noticed have all happened on the birdseye necks. After having mentioned this to a few luthiers, I was told that in earlier days of guitar building using such figured woods for something as temperamental as a neck was seriously avoided because of the potential instability. Over time it's actually become a specialty thing for guitars, though. (I guess we just like things exotic and pretty.) I was told that flame maple necks are the most prone to problems.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    How is the newest 'gang, Bob? You likey the Wolfie?

That'd be the variance I talked about. Different tree, different manufacturing day, the guy doing the final sanding just after drinking a 20 ounce Americano, the guy doing the final sanding while in need of a 20 ounce Americano... lots of factors in why they're slightly different from one to the next.

Here's another thing: I've noticed the hard rock maple necks are much more stable than the birdseye maple necks. Any awkward drying or twists related to seasonal changes I've noticed have all happened on the birdseye necks. After having mentioned this to a few luthiers, I was told that in earlier days of guitar building using such figured woods for something as temperamental as a neck was seriously avoided because of the potential instability. Over time it's actually become a specialty thing for guitars, though. (I guess we just like things exotic and pretty.) I was told that flame maple necks are the most prone to problems.

AT, the new flame special is fantastic! I prefer the flat-top over the deluxe because it's very similar to my EVH EBMM. O.kay, now too comment alittle more on your response on the necks (and agreeing to). The hard rock maple necks ARE more stable than birdseye necks. WHY? Do you know what all those little beautful birdseyes are?? (as those people love to say on e-bay) KNOTS!! that's right, knots. (for those of you that do not know, knots are/where branches that were cut off) they are the weekest part of a tree that will split or warp before a good cut wood. (aka, hard maple for instants) Like AT said, the more figured woods are much more temperamental to warping and twisting than a good hardwood...................

Here ya go AT................(Thanks )

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Yes the birds eye can be unstable .It depends a lot on how your guitar is stored and humidity. It looks cool and sells, but it is a crap shoot to use. I will be using it though along with quarter sawn clear. One thing I will be offering is a birds eye board on clear quarter sawn for looks/stability. It is really up to the customer. It helps to go out of your way to really pick through the boards before they are used. I"m sure there are some companies to fill orders just use it all . If you select eastern flame you can pick out the stable stuff. I am also wondering if some builders have been using flame from the mid west or wherever they are getting it but it is technically soft maple. They look alike to the average guy but they are very different than rock maple. I built a neck out of eastern rock flame and it hasn't moved on me at all and the neck is around 7 years old! Sounds to me like the wolfgang special has a ebmm like neck. What I will do is model both to see if there is that much difference. Something else I was thinking about too? Has anybody played the fender franky replicas and have comments on that neck???

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    Yes the birds eye can be unstable .It depends a lot on how your guitar is stored and humidity. It looks cool and sells, but it is a crap shoot to use. I will be using it though along with quarter sawn clear. One thing I will be offering is a birds eye board on clear quarter sawn for looks/stability. It is really up to the customer. It helps to go out of your way to really pick through the boards before they are used. I"m sure there are some companies to fill orders just use it all . If you select eastern flame you can pick out the stable stuff. I am also wondering if some builders have been using flame from the mid west or wherever they are getting it but it is technically soft maple. They look alike to the average guy but they are very different than rock maple. I built a neck out of eastern rock flame and it hasn't moved on me at all and the neck is around 7 years old! Sounds to me like the wolfgang special has a ebmm like neck. What I will do is model both to see if there is that much difference. Something else I was thinking about too? Has anybody played the fender franky replicas and have comments on that neck???
    I've played the Franky replica that the Scottsdale GC had/has (I don't know if it has sold, that is one are of the world where it might) and the neck is nothing like my wolfgang. The frets are massive (6100's I believe) and the neck felt wider and flatter than the wolfgang. Honestly, it almost felt like a Lynch neck. I really dug playing the replica, it played very smooth and had great action, just way too expensive.