Favorite VH Album

All
    Last Online

08.18.07 @ 10:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default LA Times Letters Section - Still Rockin

This letter apperared in the LA Times today;

Still Rockin-
    In their heyday, David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen made the best frontman-guitarist tandem in rock 'n roll, arguably in rock's history.
    Let the naysayers have their cynical barbs about the on-again off-again reunion. In the 23 years since their breakup - not counting the brief 1996 appearance at the MTV Awards show - no band has replaced the happy-to-be-alive, joyous ecstacy of a Van Halen record or concert. If Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones can keep touring in their 60's, there's no reason Van Halen cannot put on a show to remember in their 50's.

Scott Essman
    Glendora, CA.

Thanks, Scott. Well said.
    When you hear a song, it can make you remember what you felt, where you were and who you were with the first time you heard it. That's what music can do.<br /><br />When I get into you, get into me...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.20.12 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Beautifully put and exactly right!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I concur...I get pissed at the naysayers who keep talking about a wasted Eddie, or Diamond Dave's shot voice. Has anybody on this site heard them THIS YEAR?!?!?!?

Let's hear them first and then pass judgement...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Thank you for that my friend it was about time someone posted something positive about this band here.
    Amen to that
    LONG LIVE VH... DESTROY HATERS!!!! MODE ON

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:29 PM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

Sorry to interrupt this "newbie fest," but unfortunately there are plenty of reasons why this is unlikely to be a succesful venture. Since u guys seem to be new, please refer to the "Main - Past" forum and study the history of VH these last few years to have a more balanced view of VH in 2007. Just trying to avoid more disapointment and tears for our newest members...
    Little Dreamer

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Sorry to interrupt this "newbie fest," but unfortunately there are plenty of reasons why this is unlikely to be a succesful venture. Since u guys seem to be new, please refer to the "Main - Past" forum and study the history of VH these last few years to have a more balanced view of VH in 2007. Just trying to avoid more disapointment and tears for our newest members...
    FYI being newer to this site than you doesn't mean they are newbies as VH fans or to their "colorful history". Looking at your age I'd say you're a newbie compared to some that posted in this thread. People are just excited to see the show man. Lots of negative people here. I can understand people being jaded and not wanting to sign on but why try to poop on every positive post or thread?

I've posted a lot lately, being all fired up by this tour and keep getting drawn in by all the negative posts here. I'm really surprised actually. As a newbie thats what's new to me. Seeing a bunch of Van Halen fans pissed off because VH is going on tour and hoping it fails because they either dislike Dave or love Mikey so much nothing else matters. Mike or the grave. Well start digging.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:29 PM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

I wish for VH to be successful of course. By that I mean releasing some new, amazing music. And returning to a situation where all the band members are of drinking age.

This current tour is not a yardstick for success. They're playing medium-size venues.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 786 Times in 377 Posts

Premium Member

This current tour is not a yardstick for success. They're playing medium-size venues.
    I think this is more about this band in many ways wanting to begin again than it is about selling out stadiums. This is a new band and it's their first tour.
    Medium sized venues should be great for this band in '07. Pack 'em in and turn it way way up.
    That's what this band needs in order to find its identity and begin working towards a future together as a real band.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

VHII, Fair Warning, etc.
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.10.08 @ 10:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the "Boys" can continue to get along, there's no reason
    why they can't continue playing and recording like the Stones
    or McCartney. on into their late 50's early 60's.
    I've been following this Band since '78. there's no telling
    what they are capable of doing. some new songs would
    be good for starters. get on the record charts again.
    stay in the public eye so people don't start saying
    "Van WHO???" if they are going to start as a "new"
    band, they need to keep it rolling.

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wish for VH to be successful of course. By that I mean releasing some new, amazing music. And returning to a situation where all the band members are of drinking age.

Dude, you can't call Staples Center a "medium-sized venue". I've been there, and I know you have. It's a huge indoor arena. It's a shitty arena for a concert, but it is pretty big.

I've also seen the layouts of some of the other venues they're playing. They're not that small.

The L.A. Sports Arena, Long Beach Arena, Cox Area in San Diego (which VH is playing this tour)...those are medium sized venues.

They should've scheduled the Gibson (nee Universal) Amphitheater. That has the best audio setup I've ever heard for an indoor venue.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

they're playing the same size venues that did when they last played with David in 84.

Last Online

08.18.15 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So are the most successful touring bands.

That be U2 and the Stones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Hagar
    "Where's Diamond... Is He around?".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love & Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.07 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    FYI being newer to this site than you doesn't mean they are newbies as VH fans or to their "colorful history". Looking at your age I'd say you're a newbie compared to some that posted in this thread. People are just excited to see the show man. Lots of negative people here. I can understand people being jaded and not wanting to sign on but why try to poop on every positive post or thread?

I've posted a lot lately, being all fired up by this tour and keep getting drawn in by all the negative posts here. I'm really surprised actually. As a newbie thats what's new to me. Seeing a bunch of Van Halen fans pissed off because VH is going on tour and hoping it fails because they either dislike Dave or love Mikey so much nothing else matters. Mike or the grave. Well start digging.
    Atomic,,,VERY WELL SAID!! Hard to believe this is a VH site. Ignore all the debbie downers in here,cuz they r the minority and r jealous of dave being back and the fact that it is off to a flying start with sellouts etc. Especially when the downers in here said the general pubic or media wouldnt even notice they were back with dave. OHH, how wrong they were. They cant stand it,which makes it all the more enjoyable that VH is all over the media.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love & Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.07 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Medium sized? The palace in michigan seats 22,000. MSG seats about 20,000. Those are hardly medium sized. I think the United Center seats about 21,000 or so. The Staple Center in LA seats about the same,so i don't understand what you mean by medium sized?

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

Medium-sized venues would be smaller arenas that only hold about 8-10K. Places that hold minor league sports teams. The way tickets appear to be selling so far, there may be a possibility that VH could play to stadiums if the promoter placed them with a good opening band or two on the bill (other than Kymani Marley) that will draw more people.