Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.18.07
    Posts
    4
    Last Online

    09.26.07 @ 11:03 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Tape for Replica

    I've been trying to find the tape sizes everywhere with no luck hopefully i can find it here. I just wanted to know what are the two sizes of tape used for the Black and White Strat? Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    5150 C5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Posts
    640
    Last Online

    10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doode5 View Post
    I've been trying to find the tape sizes everywhere with no luck hopefully i can find it here. I just wanted to know what are the two sizes of tape used for the Black and White Strat? Can anyone help?
    The small stripes are pin stripe tape that you can pick up at any auto parts store, he took of the pin stripe tape before he painted it red!

  3. #3
    Romeo Delight throb's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.10.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    87
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doode5 View Post
    I've been trying to find the tape sizes everywhere with no luck hopefully i can find it here. I just wanted to know what are the two sizes of tape used for the Black and White Strat? Can anyone help?

    The large size is 3/4" and the thinner one is 1/8". the thinner stripes were not painted on. they were black pin-striping tape. you can see in photos the area where his right arm crossed over the guitar when he played, those thin stripes are messed up.

  4. #4
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doode5 View Post
    I've been trying to find the tape sizes everywhere with no luck hopefully i can find it here. I just wanted to know what are the two sizes of tape used for the Black and White Strat? Can anyone help?
    you need 3\4 and 1\8" you can use plain old electrical tape for the 3\4"
    I used it for years and for the 1\8" you can get it at craft stores, automotive stores or order it here :
    either the blue or green will do the blue is cheaper.

    http://www.tcpglobal.com/3mdepot/3m400-3.aspx


    now also there are gong to be oddball sizes like the 2 funky stripes coming down above the pickguard and of coarse the squiggly , you can use the 3\4" electrical tape for those, you just put a piece down on a glass plate take a pen or pencil and trace the shape you want then free hand it with a razor blade, it will take you a couple of tries but you'll gte it.

    Also when I did these there was only 1 customer who actually wanted the small pinstripes to actually be taped on and left like the real thing so just take your favorite pic of the B&W and copy the small stripes from that and paint them on just my suggestion of coarse.

  5. #5
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.18.07
    Posts
    4
    Last Online

    09.26.07 @ 11:03 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks everyone for all your help, You've got no idea how hard it is to find these sizes without the use of forums

  6. #6
    Little Dreamer yelserpdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.04
    Posts
    22
    Last Online

    09.04.08 @ 01:43 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Are the sizes the same if you were to do a 5150 rep?

  7. #7
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.18.07
    Posts
    4
    Last Online

    09.26.07 @ 11:03 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rolsguitars View Post
    you need 3\4 and 1\8" you can use plain old electrical tape for the 3\4"
    I used it for years and for the 1\8" you can get it at craft stores, automotive stores or order it here :
    either the blue or green will do the blue is cheaper.

    http://www.tcpglobal.com/3mdepot/3m400-3.aspx


    now also there are gong to be oddball sizes like the 2 funky stripes coming down above the pickguard and of coarse the squiggly , you can use the 3\4" electrical tape for those, you just put a piece down on a glass plate take a pen or pencil and trace the shape you want then free hand it with a razor blade, it will take you a couple of tries but you'll gte it.

    Also when I did these there was only 1 customer who actually wanted the small pinstripes to actually be taped on and left like the real thing so just take your favorite pic of the B&W and copy the small stripes from that and paint them on just my suggestion of coarse.
    Does the Electrical tape keep the paint out aswell as masking tape does

  8. #8
    5150 C5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Posts
    640
    Last Online

    10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doode5 View Post
    Does the Electrical tape keep the paint out aswell as masking tape does
    If you use 3M brand!

  9. #9
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Electrical tape works well in that it leaves crisp lines, however ...
    It also tends to stretch and distort making it difficult to create straight lines.
    It also tends to leave a sticky residue.

    I've found that 3M "Fine Line" tape works much better.

  10. #10
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Electrical tape works well in that it leaves crisp lines, however ...
    It also tends to stretch and distort making it difficult to create straight lines.
    It also tends to leave a sticky residue.

    I've found that 3M "Fine Line" tape works much better.
    I have had zero problems with electrical tape , I used it for ever guitar I did when I started this back in 96' -97' till I was stopped by Eds Lawyers,
    electrical tape will save ya $10 and you probably already have it around the house.

  11. #11
    5150 C5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Posts
    640
    Last Online

    10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rolsguitars View Post
    I have had zero problems with electrical tape , I used it for ever guitar I did when I started this back in 96' -97' till I was stopped by Eds Lawyers,
    electrical tape will save ya $10 and you probably already have it around the house.
    I've got to go with Rol on this one! As long as it's not crapy no name brad, then it works great!

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C5150 View Post
    I've got to go with Rol on this one! As long as it's not crapy no name brad, then it works great!
    That's cool ... use what works for you.
    But if you scroll down to the "Guitar Building Photo Gallery" on this link, you can see EVH himself using 3M Fine Line tape.

    http://www.evh-guitars.com/

    I'm guessing maybe he just ran out of electrical tape.

    Seriously though ...
    Fine Line tape comes in all sizes ... Electrical tape comes in one.
    And when you consider the cost of a professional paintjob, a $10 savings for tape isn't all that big of a deal.

    That's just my opinion.
    Again ... use what works for you.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 08.22.07 at 05:57 AM.

  13. #13
    5150 C5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Posts
    640
    Last Online

    10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    I usualy use the 3M blue tape that they use to mask off cars, in the body shop! Its like electrical tape, but comes in all sizes! The tape Ed used looked like regular masking tape!

  14. #14
    5150 C5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.04
    Posts
    640
    Last Online

    10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    This is a funny thread!

  15. #15
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C5150 View Post
    I usualy use the 3M blue tape that they use to mask off cars, in the body shop! Its like electrical tape, but comes in all sizes! The tape Ed used looked like regular masking tape!
    Hmmm ... I thought you use electrical tape?

    Rols does some damn nice work, so I won't blame you for jumping on that bandwagon, but the blue tape you're now refering to is in fact Fine Line.
    That is unless you're using blue painters tape used for painting houses.
    Fine Line is the standard for the auotmotive industry. It comes in blue, what they call "green" (which looks to be very close in color to "regular" masking tape), orange, etc ...

    http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

    The tape shown on the EVH-guitars website isn't "regular" masking tape.
    If you look closely, you can see the tape is rolled on plastic (ie. Fine Line).
    Regular masking tape is rolled on cardboard.

    I'm embarrased to say I know alot about tape.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 08.22.07 at 06:43 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. EVH Replica Thread
    By homeunit in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 01.18.17, 07:35 PM
  2. A NEW Replica store
    By Thai Boxer 9901 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08.18.06, 09:31 PM
  3. building a evh replica
    By dr.bullet in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06.24.05, 01:46 AM
  4. replica guitars
    By redcrow in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07.29.02, 11:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •