Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.20.16 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default EBMM EVH/Axis pickups

I plan on making a ebmm evh style guitar through warmoth. Any recommendations to what pickups to use to be as close to the evh/axis pickups besides finding axis pickups on ebay?

On a side note has anyone tried the neck and bridge SD '78 Model (EVH) set? I'm considering these for another guitar project but for a $300 set I don't know if it's worth it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The closest stock pickups to the EBMM EVH/Axis are the Dimarzio ToneZone (bridge) and Air Norton (Neck). I got this info straight from DiMarzio,tried the combo in my tele and have not changed them since. It sounds awesome! The Air Norton is a really great neck pickup. Good luck.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    The closest stock pickups to the EBMM EVH/Axis are the Dimarzio ToneZone (bridge) and Air Norton (Neck). I got this info straight from DiMarzio,tried the combo in my tele and have not changed them since. It sounds awesome! The Air Norton is a really great neck pickup. Good luck.
    I'll be using this knowledge you've passed on in one of my future guitar projects, Otis. Thanks!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I'll be using this knowledge you've passed on in one of my future guitar projects, Otis. Thanks!
    Why do you think I've been raving about the ToneZone for all these years??? Seriously, I got that info straight from DiMarzio and it's an awesome combo! Nice new avatar, btw. Mike will never be gone as long as we remember him...
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The Air Zone isn't a bad choice either. But yeah, the Tone Zone is the closest.

Are you hell-bent on duplicating that guitar's sound? You may be pleasantly surprised by Duncan's 78 pickup that you referred to. Or even a DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF, which is sort of "their version" of a hot, air-buckered PAF, but half the price.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Why do you think I've been raving about the ToneZone for all these years??? Seriously, I got that info straight from DiMarzio and it's an awesome combo! Nice new avatar, btw. Mike will never be gone as long as we remember him...
    We've got the ToneZone and Air Norton in stock at the music store right now, except I couldn't see if they distinguish between neck and bridge. Do you know, Otis?

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 2,865 Times in 1,074 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    We've got the ToneZone and Air Norton in stock at the music store right now, except I couldn't see if they distinguish between neck and bridge. Do you know, Otis?
    There are only one model of each, just a Tone Zone and an Air Norton, no bridge/neck model variations.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    There are only one model of each, just a Tone Zone and an Air Norton, no bridge/neck model variations.
    Coolio. Thanks, Jedi!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Beats Workin'
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman51 View Post
    I plan on making a ebmm evh style guitar through warmoth. Any recommendations to what pickups to use to be as close to the evh/axis pickups besides finding axis pickups on ebay?

On a side note has anyone tried the neck and bridge SD '78 Model (EVH) set? I'm considering these for another guitar project but for a $300 set I don't know if it's worth it.
    From what I remember, the EVH 78 duncans would be better for an older van halen sound. Go for the dimarzios Or, just buy the evh for the bridge position.
    "VH is like the chick who you haven't seen in a while... There were ups and downs, disappointments abound, but fucked ya so good. She calls ya and wants you to come over... You're not gonna remember the bad, you're gonna head over for a piece of ass... BUT, you're not goin' over there to get back together again for the longterm 'cause ya know it ain't gonna last forever!!!" -fast98dodge

~~~MY VH SHOWS~~~

Verizon Center-Washington DC 3/28/12

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for the guitar you are building everyone is right the tone zone and air norton. although the air zone is very good for the bridge also. the only difference between the tone zone and the ebmm bridge is the tone zone is abit bassier and not as tight. it was the basis of this pickup.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

The Air Zone is an "air-buckered" Tone Zone, so it will have a less-flubby bass response.

I hate the pickups in my EBMM. The only reason I can barely tolerate it is because my main axe is an EBMM Super Sport, which has the vintage tremolo for softer highs, and less flubby bass response.

I'd still like to see someone do a DiMarzio "hybrid", and combine 1 coil from the Air Zone, and one from the Virtual PAF. It's worked wonders for Duncan pickups in achieving that middle-ground between power & clarity, where you can hear the distortion tingling between the individual strings.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I am not sure how soon you are looking at building that guitar but If your interested in building a more accurate guitar let me know, I have been building those off and on for years ( since 1995) and I am currently setting up to build more bodies and necks. Nobody else has ever made that body with a tapered heel. Warmoth offers it with a fender heel (grrrrrr!) I am also looking at teaming up with a custom pickup winder to duplicate those ever popular dimarzios that you cannot buy. In the end I am going to offer complete pro level kits. NO GARBAGE. I will be offering the best maple tops available. If it is 5A you want, 5A is what you will get!! The only thing I can't do on a production basis is offer a neck with the ernie ball headstock No more will people have ot pick through warmoths pre made bargain bin and settle for something they really did not want !! http://vanhalenclones.com. Scott fletcher
    Vanhalenclones.com
    Last edited by scottfletcher; 08.17.07 at 07:33 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Well, I can't argue with what the guy above says.

I can tell you this about the EBMM pickups: they're duplicates of the Tone Zones, except that each coil is identical, as opposed to having one coil wound slightly less than the other, like the TZ.

It's imperceptible to the point where Lukather yelled at Eddie to "just choose THAT one" while Edward was playing the demo units. Granted, Eddie was playing through a narrow, low-bandwidth 5150, whereby it would be inherently difficult to interpret the difference between 17k and 17.3k anyway (or whatever the difference is).

It's not like the difference between a Virtual Hot PAF and the EBMM, for instance.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I hate the pickups in my EBMM.
    Do you want to sell them to me?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    The Air Zone is an "air-buckered" Tone Zone, so it will have a less-flubby bass response.

I hate the pickups in my EBMM. The only reason I can barely tolerate it is because my main axe is an EBMM Super Sport, which has the vintage tremolo for softer highs, and less flubby bass response.

I'd still like to see someone do a DiMarzio "hybrid", and combine 1 coil from the Air Zone, and one from the Virtual PAF. It's worked wonders for Duncan pickups in achieving that middle-ground between power & clarity, where you can hear the distortion tingling between the individual strings.

Dimarzio glues the coils together on some of their models. My tone zone and breed are like this. Some type of rubber cement.

Helpful during mag swaps keeping the coils together, but it's a colossal pain in the ass to have to cut that crap off the coils during swapping. Took me days to cut the glued in mags and coils out of two godin humbuckers a while back.

Also from what I've been told a symetrical tone zone is essentially a breed and the hybrid you describe is pretty close to a norton.