Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Default will ed still have numbers on the side of his guitar necks?

i remember an interview with CNN after the warm up show for the 2004 tour where ed was interviewed (with matt bruck) and he showed that there were numbers on the side of his wolfgang's neck so he could remember where the frets are...this of course was a harbinger of the disaster to come...

anyone else remember seeing this?

i wonder if it's the same this tour...
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

On this tour, management will be locking up the Sharpies and lemon wedges...

Germany, about 5 Miles away from the North Sea
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me wise Magic
    Last Online

03.14.08 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And nail a big Pack of Cigarrettes up to his Guitar.
    The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by elvhfan View Post
    i remember an interview with CNN after the warm up show for the 2004 tour where ed was interviewed (with matt bruck) and he showed that there were numbers on the side of his wolfgang's neck so he could remember where the frets are...this of course was a harbinger of the disaster to come...

anyone else remember seeing this?

i wonder if it's the same this tour...
    Definitely remember the clip. I don't remember his exact quote but it was something to the effect of needing the quick reference points. A sober Ed might not need that. Who knows. I am sure that clip is around here somewhere.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Blood and Fire
    Last Online

08.19.12 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I remember the clip exactly. Even though he was a waste of a guitarist for most of the tour, most of his guitars didn't have the sharpie writing on the neck. I think CNN or whoever was initially responsible for that clip took it out of context and just focused on the fact that the guitar-god needed sharpie writing on his guitar to play correctly. Or maybe he was too wasted to tell them that it was for a particular song that he was having trouble making happen live.

It was for the song Learning to See which had so many guitar parts he couldn't remember how to recreate it live. The song was quickly scrapped from the tour's set because A.) it was a shitty song, and B.) it was a big buzzkill.

GSB

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Definitely remember the clip. I don't remember his exact quote but it was something to the effect of needing the quick reference points. A sober Ed might not need that. Who knows. I am sure that clip is around here somewhere.
    yeah I never realized that at the time....before the tour I guess we were all so excited that I guess I didn't realize that when the best guitar player ever says that he needs to mark where the frets are....there could be a problem....and problems ensued....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GSB517 View Post
    It was for the song Learning to See which had so many guitar parts he couldn't remember how to recreate it live. The song was quickly scrapped from the tour's set because A.) it was a shitty song, and B.) it was a big buzzkill.GSB

That's your opinion.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

Quote Originally Posted by GSB517 View Post
    I remember the clip exactly. Even though he was a waste of a guitarist for most of the tour, most of his guitars didn't have the sharpie writing on the neck. I think CNN or whoever was initially responsible for that clip took it out of context and just focused on the fact that the guitar-god needed sharpie writing on his guitar to play correctly. Or maybe he was too wasted to tell them that it was for a particular song that he was having trouble making happen live.

It was for the song Learning to See which had so many guitar parts he couldn't remember how to recreate it live. The song was quickly scrapped from the tour's set because A.) it was a shitty song, and B.) it was a big buzzkill.

GSB
    Shitty song?

I guess you speak for all of us.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wham bam will rock View Post
    That's your opinion.
    I actually liked that song the most by far of the three '04 tracks but he's right that it was a giant showstopper live and Eddie himself has commented it was a very difficult song for him to reproduce live.

I also vividly remember that interview where Eddie displayed the side of the fretboard was all marked up with a sharpie. The thing was, he looked and sounded *really* out of it in that interview which contributed to the overall opinion he'd lost it. At one point it was on YouTube, I dunno if it is now though.

T.B.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, here's the clip...it's not CNN but E News and the part this thread is referring to is about 50 seconds in.

I'm always completely blown away when I see it! This guitar god needs visual markings over and above his inlays on his neck to remember where to but his hand and fingers on the guitar!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BxzCRxSNEX4

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

LTS.........the best of the 3 songs.

Bad sign when u need a marker on your guitar neck to know what fret you're on? I guess the dots aren't obvious enough?

Yes lets hope he can play better on this tour. Of course it would be hard to play worse on this tour.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Blood and Fire
    Last Online

08.19.12 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I knew I'd take heat for that post.

You're right -- it's completely my opinion that Learning to See is a shitbag tune that doesn't deserve to be in the same neighborhood as most of the Van Halen catalogue. I mistakenly took the thousands of fans who pissed, boozed, ate and snored their way through the song live as a show of universal dislike. They must have been soaking up the deep meaning of the song's message.

And believe me, I'm nearly as harsh on the other two embarassments that came out of the '04 sessions. I'd go as far as to say that "It's About Time" is equally as bad. The only thing that saved "Breakfast" was the killer groove. Frankly that's the only song of the three that had any Van Halen flavor whatsoever -- in my opinion, of course.

The writing on his guitar was for that song though. EVH is so smashed in the clip that it's hard to figure out what the fuck he's up to. I'll bet if you went back to the raw tape, he might make some reference to the fact that the markings are for a complicated song. Instead, they cut it to make him look like a drunken idiot who forgot how to play his instrument.

And for that tour, they were right on the money.

Last Online

12.05.07 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    yeah I never realized that at the time....before the tour I guess we were all so excited that I guess I didn't realize that when the best guitar player ever says that he needs to mark where the frets are....there could be a problem....and problems ensued....
    Hey EvH_316_5150! I remember you from the 5 star experience in Toronto in 04---the guy who gave ed the hat during soundcheck right? Did you do 4 or 5 star this time around? I decided to go for regular seating since there's no soundcheck and way too over priced...what about you?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk30 View Post
    Hey EvH_316_5150! I remember you from the 5 star experience in Toronto in 04---the guy who gave ed the hat during soundcheck right? Did you do 4 or 5 star this time around? I decided to go for regular seating since there's no soundcheck and way too over priced...what about you?
    Yes..............That was me

Same here. No packages...I'm gonna take my chances on Saturday morning....you're right for no soundcheck...it's not worth it...basically you are paying 650 for a prime seat...sorry but not for me...maybe if they come back to Toronto or Hamilton on the next leg....How are you getting tickets....I'm more nervous about buying tickets to this show because I keep hearing about brokers and shit like that. I'm worried I'm gonna be up in the rafters...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.05.07 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Jetguy did u do 5 star this time as well?