Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default LONG READ!!! But can anyone get inside Eddies thinking?

My fave VH member come and gone, and come again is Sammy, but I gotta get something off my chest.....
    I could get slack for it, and might not, but can anyone get inside Eddies head and see things from his "point of view". OK, hes a control freak and has an ego, but its clear too hes always wanted VH to continue, I beleive.
    I'm not feeling sorry for him, and I'm in no way taking sides with Sammy or Mike. But try get this-

Everything was going great for VH from the Club years to 1981, until they did "Fair Warning" where Eddie and Dave first had "friction"
    "Diver Down" was the album Eddie whined about saying it was Daves attempt at a solo album and it had too many covers.
    Eddie clearly at this point wanted everything his way, and did'nt like Dave getting the spotlight and Eddie was insecure about this (Not clearly his fault).
    So Eddie builds a studio, so he gets free reign and full control.

"1984" is released, it has keyboards, pop tunes, heavy metal tunes, just what Eddie wants. Dave and Eddie are at ego battleheads and Dave leaves to persue his longing to be a solo artist.

GREAT!!! Eddie can find someone whos on his wavelength.

Sammy comes along, has great lyrics, great attitude, a singer, not a showman and brings along a great manager too, Ed Leffler who can not only manage but be their "safety net" and keep it all in place.

From "5150" to "F.UC.K", the VH years are on a high, and Eddies happy.

0ctober 1993. Ed Leffler dies.
    Imediately, Sammy does the unthinkable and records 2 new songs for "Unboxed" behind Eddies back. He says he owes Geffen one more album, but Eddie says later on that he was'nt mad that he did it behind his back, it was the timing, and that Ed Leffler, never had known about it, before he died, everything was discussed.

Basiccly when Ed died, the band fell apart, the safety net had gone...
    and its clear that Sammys not happy with the new management, Ray Daniels.

1995 - Sammy and Mike have different dressing rooms and spend time with themselves and familys before and after gigs. Very unlike VH.

1996 - We all know that story. Getting a bit old.

1998 - VH3 is released with Gary, which is as close to Eddies best attempt to make a solo album. Eddie states he wanted a singer who could take a joke. who you could fight with and can kiss 'n' hug later, he wanted a brother, a soul mate, but it was clear too, from the general fans view that Gary was a puppet. Despite no real harmony, melody or substance on the album, this was Eddies ride.

1999 - Eddies hip gets done. Gary leaves because of "Pressure" etc.

2000 - First attemp getting Dave back

Eddie has cancer scare

2nd attempt with Dave

Cancer comes in again and Eddie goes on private hiatus, even though a 3rd attempt of getting Dave back takes place through all this.

Do we know if Mike had contact with the band during this period?

2002/2003 -
    Eddie goes through divorce.
    Eddie battles alchoholism again.
    Eddie recovers from cancer.
    Eddies mum dies.

Sammy and Mike get together on Sammys tour.

Did Sammy and Mike ever have contact with Eddie during this time?

2004 - Sam calls Alex, no press conference but a reunion tour happens.
    Eddie falls further into alchohosim.

2005 - Sammy parts ways.
    Sammy and Mike team up as "The other half" and do a set during Hagars tour. Would this piss off Ed, yes it would, since Mike and Sam were'nt supportive to Ed during his "ordeals", its been said Ed might have been through depression. Eddie could've suid Hagar and Anthony during this time.

2007 - NOW!!!

I say Eddie is more focused now than ever. Hes had 9 years of "wasted time" due to his health, alchohoism, insecurities, cancer, divorces. I think in the end it took its toll, when Eddie, really wanted to give us something.
    I think that with the likes of Wolfie on bass, it will shed new light on VH and keep them moving forward. Yes, I'm confident, even with Dave, who I consider a lounge act and cant sing. Lol.
    They are only my opinions, but Eddie looks happy and needs to be happy.
    He may have seemed to have let us down, but really, he and Alex have always been the core of this band.

Ed always said that all the VH albums hes made are like "Babies" and hes never wanted to make a solo album, cause he can express as much as he likes on each band album he does.

Stay tight, cause I sense in 2008/09, another "Baby" will arrive.

Hope this did'nt bore you. I'm not taking sides with anyone, I swear.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It sound like you have covered all the bases here I would have to agree with what you are saying. I am sure there will be those who disagree their always is.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stiil_A_Fan View Post
    It sound like you have covered all the bases here I would have to agree with what you are saying. I am sure there will be those who disagree their always is.
    I agree with everything too. I think it speaks for itself. Can't blame him at all, it's completely understandable.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Thankyou.
    As much as I love Sammy to death.....
    "Unboxed" was a big mistake, and going on Letterman and singing "High Hopes" with the Scaffer band was a no, no.
    Around this time, I was so worried about this band. Something was'nt right. Then I heard a few months later that Ed Leffler died 2 months before the previous christmas. I knew then maybe, VH's not what it used to be.
    I had patience, and waited till "Balance". It was a great album, but it was dark, big and moody and did'nt have the fun, fun, fun vibe.
    The interviews that Sammy did in 96/97 were starting to make no sense either and he'd forget what he said in previous interviews.
    I love ya Sam, but around this point you were a little lost.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I agree with the chronology, but I would add that EVH caused a lot this turmoil himself with his drinking, smoking, and god knows what else. And his comments over the years - emphasizing Hagar and Cherone as his brothers - have proved to be nothing more than hype to get us to buy CDs. So my bet is that a new album of material - with the current lineup after this tour - is less than 50%.

I'm not buying the "Wolfgang breathes new life" shtick. This is all about cash. EVH has been in a cash race with Hagar ever since the brothers sold their share of Cabo and it took off. They're pissed they didn't stick with the business. So EVH is trademarks his stripes and issues guitars, pedals, and an amp for high prices. This tour is another example.

I agree with other posters that he wanted to get with DLR because that was the only way he could get Wolfgang in and keep Mikey out and NOT have this tour be heading to a Holiday Inn lounge near you.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I have no doubt that every previous VH member has been difficult at times and that Eddie has had to compromise here and there to work with them. But I don't think Eddie has ANY concept that there have always been compromises and aggravations involved in working with the GREAT EVH! I really think he is so selfish and self centered that he feels victimized while getting a blow job!

No, I don't understand where Eddie is coming from. The only way I could is if there was new music, an entire album, coming out before this tour. If Wolfie is so great, such a shredder, so inspirational, Eddie can weave in and out with the kid, then put your money where your mouth is. Let's hear it, then let's drop five or six classics from the setlist in order to genuinely tour a new album. You know, actually trying to sell a new band, not just talking about it! All the right people are talking about moving forward, but hey guys, we're not blind, we can plainly see you dipping your toes in the water!

Eddie used to like to talk about how people always took advantage of him, but he hasn't learned how to stand up for yourself while being a respectable person. His way, and Alex's way, is to be a bigger prick than anyone else.

In the end, it's Eddie's fault more than anyone else's. 1985 was, 1996 was, and this is. I change my answer, I think I can see where Eddie is coming from, but it's a bad place and it's sad that no one is strong enough to stand up to the boy genius. Eddie is fooling himself if he thinks carrying Wolfgang to the finish line is going to make him a better man. And it won't make Eddie a better father either.