Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default If I hear the words "cash grab" one more time...

A lot of people need to realize that the music business is in fact, a business. As with any business, if you don't make money you won't be in business very long.

That being said Van Halen music is all very near and dear to our hearts, but in the end, Eddie, Alex, and whoever else plays with the Van Halen brothers are playing primarily to earn money. These guys are in their early fifties...everyone thinks that they are wealthy enough to sit on their butts for the rest of their lives. But really guys, if you're used to making five million per year, ten million is no more than a couple years earnings for you. Money is a very relative thing....think back to when you were young and ten thousand dollars seemed like all the money in the world...you lived at home or with friends in some inexpensive apartment, and you may have been able to survive for two years on ten thousand dollars.

Fast forward to today...you're married, own a home, have children, and that same ten thousand dollars wouldn't support you for three months now, much less two years.

I'm not saying that the boys are poor...only that most people have not earned enough money at the age of 52 to retire IN THE LIFESTYLE TO WHICH THEY HAVE BECOME ACCUSTOMED.

Don't hold it against the boys for charging exhorbitant sums for tickets, etc. They are not in this business for you, they are in it for them. Don't expect them to make decisions in your best interests...after all, would you make your decisions in the best interests of someone other then you and your immediate family?

The boys are just making what they consider to be the best business decisions, and whether you or I agree with them is irrelevant. Please don't expect them to play for some reason other than money...it's the common denominator that drives this world, and is the same reason that we all get up and go to work every day.
    Last edited by mikelong; 08.14.07 at 03:49 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

cash grab, cash grab, cash grab..

(sorry, it's been a long day)
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At least I got to see them in '82 @ "$8 advance/$10 day of show"..

Ahh the good old days.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MammothVH2004 View Post

Ahh the good old days.
    25 years later, tix are 25 times more. Ahh. SHIT!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Exactly,it is a business... I'd do the same thing to all ya bastards...

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

When you pay x amount of dollars for a concert ticket, you should be getting a commitment from the performers that for that night, they are going to do everything in their power to deliver a great show. If they do that, if they give you two hours of high energy, high effort showmanship and performance, they have done their part. It should look and sound like a lot of time, money, and work went into giving you that show.

It's only a "cash grab" when little effort or energy is expended, they take your money, give you a half ass show, and move on to the next city.

What the performers motives are for being there or what their true feelings for each oither are is really immaterial.

Some people say 2004 was a cash grab because the band broke up again, but if you enjoyed your show--which I did--then that shouldn't matter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I guess me too.
    I mean if some of those Vegas acts -(Canadian chick/sang on Titanic movie, with big nose), and Streisand (American chick w/ big nose), can pull in the $$ /ticket prices over & over in the same damn town, it shouldn't be so surprising.

Still Bullshit though...
    Last edited by MammothVH2004; 08.14.07 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Can't think of Canadian broad-dammit

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In business you make moves to draw the most people to buy your product. And you do everything you can to maintain loyalty from your most committed customers.

I guess they just aren't very good businessmen. In fact, I know they aren't - cause this fiasco ain't good business.

Thanks for the business 101 lesson though.

Romeo Delight Jack Daniels Wiskey's Avatar
    Last Online

04.20.13 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cash grab..........Pearl Jam only charges $35ish to $50 for one of their shows.....not saying they are better or more relevent than VH by any means......I'm a casual fan of theirs but paying the amount of a car payment to go see a band who seems to care vary little about the fan base reeks of "ripoff"

Before you tell me to stay home...I probably will go just because of the emotional investment I've given these guys over the years and the soundtrack they have provide for my youth. Won't be the 1st or last time I get hosed in life, if this doesn't live up to my expectations.

I just wish for once these guys would 'get it'... Dave's comment about U2 at the prees conference reeks of jealousy It take commitment to your other band members to become relevent and STAY relevant for over 25 years, something VH has never been able to do in all it's forms. Instead all 4 members of VH saying it's all about me (collectivity) for once.....I wished they realize how they come across and put out the effort to do something for their fan base! That would be cool and go along way to heal the emotional wounds that most likely ANY VH FAN has regardless of which members are involved in the latest incarnation of the band!

Doesn't a true fan just want to walk away with a great feeling of being entertained and take back to a place where this band was magical!

Anyway I would just love to see some goodwill from this band just once...Give me something to make me want to be a fan again.

It just 'feels' like VH cut me off in traffic and flipped me the bird istead of pulling up to the stop sign at the same time and letting me go first.

Just my cent and a half
    Wop ba bada shoobie doo wa, ba bada shobbie do wa

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MammothVH2004 View Post

Ahh the good old days.
    Damn! That's pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, the majority of the rock and roll audience traded in their mullets and ripped jeans for a suit and tie a while ago. Rock music isn't so damn rebellious anymore; it is mainstream, and the fans now have money, so supply is meeting demand.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Van Halen can't be singled out for the rather "high" ticket prices today. Most major rock bands command a hefty premium at the door.

Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I certainly agree with everyone's comments here, and it would be great if VH showed respect for the fans, etc., etc., but they have not exhibited that type of behavior historically, and it's probably unrealistic to expect them to show it now or in the future.

We all feel a sense of entitlement because the band would not be in the position it's in were it not for the fans who supported them financially by attending concerts, purchasing CDs, t-shirts, etc...however...Eddie may be less interested in money than you give him credit for. His motivation to write and perform may be primarily for the music and the musician inside of him...I don't think Eddie ever wanted to be a "rock star" and certainly does not appreciate a lot of the side effects of celebrity status in the United States (no privacy, etc.)

At any rate, if we all just lower our expectations, realizing that Eddie is not a personal friend of ours, but rather a talented artist whose music we love, if we learn to separate the "art" from the "artist as a person", we'd probably be more satisfied and able to "sit back and enjoy the music".
    Last edited by mikelong; 08.14.07 at 04:53 PM.

Last Online

07.29.13 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would feel like it was less of a cash grab (sorry) if they actually release new material-even if it's just new to us. Unless there are stellar reviews my money and I are staying home.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Cash grab or the state of the biz

Its the state of the biz at present. New music? Why bother when concerts are the big money makers for older artists these days. If VH released an album of new material tomorrow, it would probably be the 2nd worst selling VH CD, not just because of the last decade in VH land but also because the state of the recording industry is in disarray. CD's and retail outlets are slowly going the way of the do-do. While digital is growing, its still small potatoes compared to the record biz at its height.

If not a cash grab, then call it the most efficient way for VH to earn a paycheck in 2007.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

All these nostalgia tours are cash grabs. 2004 was, 2007 is. I am not sure how much new music would have made a difference. In 2004, there was some new music and people still viewed it as a cash grab.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!