Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Default Debate on lower drinking age bubbling up

This is the second article I've read on this within the past week, so the movement must be gaining some steam. I'm all for it. Any of your young men or women who can go off to war or vote should be able to have a beer at the local pub.

Over the strong objection of federal safety officials, a quiet movement to lower the legal drinking age to 18 is taking root as advocates argue that teenagers who are allowed to vote and fight for their country should also be able to enjoy a beer or two.

The proposal, which is the subject of a national petition drive by the National Youth Rights Association, has been studied in a handful of states in recent years, including Florida, Wisconsin, Vermont and Missouri, where supporters are pushing a ballot initiative.

Opponents of the idea point to a reported rise in binge drinking as teenagers increasingly turn to hard liquor as proof that minors should not be allowed to drink, but proponents look at the same data and draw the opposite conclusion.

“Raising the drinking age to 21 was passed with the very best of intentions, but it’s had the very worst of outcomes,” said David J. Hanson, an alcohol policy expert at the State University of New York-Potsdam. “Just like during national Prohibition, the law has pushed and forced underage drinking and youthful drinking underground, where we have no control over it.”

But Mark Rosenker, chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, countered: “Why would we repeal or weaken laws that save lives? It doesn’t make sense.”

Different laws in different states
    As it happens, there is no such thing as a “federal legal drinking age.” Many states allow minors to drink alcohol — some of them without restriction, others under certain circumstances, such as the presence of a parent or other guardian.

The phrase refers instead to a patchwork of state laws adopted in the mid-1980s under pressure from Congress, which threatened in 1984 to withhold 10 percent of federal highway funds from states that did not prohibit selling alcohol to those under the age of 21. By 1988, all 50 states had complied.

Libertarian groups and some conservative economic foundations, seeing the age limits as having been extorted by Washington, have long championed lowering the drinking age. But in recent years, many academics and non-partisan policy groups have joined their cause for a different reason: The age restriction does not work, they say. Drinking has gone on behind closed doors and underground, where responsible adults cannot keep an eye on it.

“It does not reduce drinking. It has simply put young adults at greater risk,” said John M. McCardell, former president of Middlebury College in Vermont, who this year set up a non-profit organization called Choose Responsibility to push for a lower drinking age.

McCardell offers what he calls a simple challenge:

“The law was changed in 1984, and the law had a very specific purpose, and that was to prohibit drinking among those under the age of 21,” he said. “The only way to measure the success of that law is to ask ourselves whether, 23 years later, those under 21 are not drinking.”

So are they?

The federal government’s National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that in 2005, the most recent year for which complete figures are available, 85 percent of 20-year-old Americans reported that they had used alcohol. Two out of five said they had binged — that is, consumed five or more drinks at one time — within the previous month.

Click for related coverage
    Vote: Should the drinking age be lowered to 18?
    Interactive: Do you have a drinking problem?
    Teen bingers prefer liquor, study says
    Federal study on drinking age and traffic deaths (PDF)

“The evidence is very clear,” McCardell said. “It has had no effect.”

James C. Fell, a former federal highway safety administrator who is a senior researcher on alcohol policy with the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, acknowledged that “it’s not a perfect law. It doesn’t totally prevent underage drinking.”

But Fell said the age restriction “does save lives. We have the evidence.”

more..
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/
    Last edited by Wickett; 08.14.07 at 01:13 PM.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ah, F-that, underage drinking serves a purpose, it builds life skills associated with activities such as: obtaining a fake id from the local mob driven id ring, learning how to bullshit the policeman in order to avoid arrest, and scoring easy pie because the local slores are impressed you have a airport shot of Jager.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I don't think it should be rolled all the way back to 18 - I don't think high schoolers should be out buying alcohol (some will anyway, but at least they'll have to work for it) and drinking when there are liable to be people younger than them around. I have no problem with people drinking when they get to college (or just plain out of school) so 19 should be fine as by then you are most likely to be around people your own age or older. Maybe if you're 18 and have a military ID they could make an exception...

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Its 18 in alberta
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

It's 18 in the UK.. however.. because of those kids younger being able to fake being older, you now have to look 21 or older to be able to get served in a pub or buy alcohol at shops and supermarkets. If you dont look 21.. you're asked for ID or you dont get served.

This new guidline seems to be working and the bar/shop keepers are happier cos they would be prosecuted for selling to under aged kids.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Fuck, they start drinking at 13 in the UK don't they.....lol...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

If the drinking age becomes 18, I'm sure DUI's will skyrocket as well as traffic fatalities due to DUI...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Terrible idea....I couldn't be more against it.

Not that you're completely grown up at 21, but you're only asking for more trouble allowing 18 year olds to get shitfaced legally. Leave it at 21 and save the kids from themselves.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sure, lower the age after I turn 21. Let them suffer like the rest of us did. Seriously though, I can understand why it's 21. I'm definitely more mature now than I was at 18, and we'd definitely have a lot more DUI's and alcohol-related deaths.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think that if you've got a military ID, you should be served on base. It's not like that shit doesn't go on anyway. We used to bring the young guys into the bar with us and just order drinks for them.

Doing the above would at least end that tired line about "if you're old enough to die..." To me, the real problem with lowering the drinking age is that then the booze filters down to even younger kids.

I remember being based in Mississippi when the drinking age in New Orleans was still 18. At least I think I do. You've have car loads of guys under 21 driving across the state boundary into NO, drinking, then trying to drive back. If states start to do this piecemeal, that'll happen quite a bit.

At any rate, you'd think we'd have more pressing concerns than the drinking age.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

18 here too. Now I'm older I'd probably support some kind of 21 restriction, if only to keep stupid drunk kids outta the pub.

Of course the fact that I was once that stupid drunk kid myself is something I'll conveniently ignore!

Probably if they adjusted it to 18-21 you can drink at home but not go out, drive etc, then that would be fine although it would be a bitch to police.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I think it should stay 21, unless you are in the active Military. If you are willing to die for this country you should be able to buy a beer in this country. Only active Military. Normal 18 years old's NO WAY IN HELL!!

I do think they should legalize Marijauna and sell it in liquor stores. Let the states control it and tax the shit out of it. 21 and over for the gonga as well.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    It's 18 in the UK.. however.. because of those kids younger being able to fake being older, you now have to look 21 or older to be able to get served in a pub or buy alcohol at shops and supermarkets. If you dont look 21.. you're asked for ID or you dont get served.

This new guidline seems to be working and the bar/shop keepers are happier cos they would be prosecuted for selling to under aged kids.
    It really does work. And I rather prefer to be asked for an ID every time I buy an alcohol knowing that it won't work for someone else who actually is underage.

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver View Post
    Fuck, they start drinking at 13 in the UK don't they.....lol...
    You are allowed to drink since when you're 11, you just can't buy the booze. LOL

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

If that happens, I wouldn't feel safe on the roads. That is the truth, plus if they drop it to 18 , then EVERY bar would have to allow 18 year olds in????
    That would really really suck for an older crowd.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Iam sure that with 18 yr olds driving and the legal limit being .08 which is like
    1 stiff drink DUI arrests will skyrocket. This will cause an increased revenue
    stream to local Govs all over the USA. MADD might go along with that so they can get even more people into jail.