Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default Whats worse? No DLR or No Mike A?

Maybe this thread is a bad idea, everything is yet to be seen and heard...

But I'm curious. With everyone freaking out that MA is out of the band.

What about DLR? He was out for a long time. He even suggested they call the band Van Halen. Talk about a founding member. HE contributed a lot to VH in the day and when he was replaced by Sammy the entire sound and attitude of the band changed dramatically. Everything was different, the sound, the stage show etc .. Changed for better or worse, thats opinion.

Personally I think Sammy took them to new musical levels Dave never could but they lost some of their balls, swagger, edge, and style during it all. That's just my opinion. They became a very different band.

So I', bummed Mikey is out but I think they are getting back closer to what made them so great with Dave. I don't think this overshadows the dark day when DLR was out of VH.

I don't know ....I guess what I'm saying is the return of Dave overrides the dispapoitment of Mike being out. Where in 1985 the pain of DLR being out was not comforted by the Red Rocker joining VH. I was in shock then. I'm not hating on Hagar, he just made the band a different animal imo. I like the original better and so does radio and most of the world it seems. To them thats VH.

again not hating. I supported vh with all singers...just sayin.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

NO DLR
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Both really. But I am pro Roth so I would have to finally say my answer is no Roth. So I guess I am happy about what is going on. Again, I wish it was a full fledged Classic Van Halen reunion but I'll take this as well.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Maybe this thread is a bad idea
    agreed

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No DLR was much worse. OU812 is the proof.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

When DLR bailed in '85, I was shocked. And then, like a lot of fans, I pieced together all the EVH interviews and I felt like I should have seen it coming. And I accepted all of EVH's talk about Hagar and, like a lot of fans, I believed EVH more than DLR and decided to follow the music and not the circus.

It was more plausible back then to believe that DLR was a goofball and that, yes, he didn't belong in VH. And EVH's rhetoric assisted in that buy-in. I never had the feeling that Mikey didn't "belong" in VH. And there's nothing EVH could possibly say now to get me, and most other fans, to believe that Mikey is evil.

Last Online

08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Maybe this thread is a bad idea, everything is yet to be seen and heard...

But I'm curious. With everyone freaking out that MA is out of the band.

What about DLR? He was out for a long time. He even suggested they call the band Van Halen. Talk about a founding member. HE contributed a lot to VH in the day and when he was replaced by Sammy the entire sound and attitude of the band changed dramatically. Everything was different, the sound, the stage show etc .. Changed for better or worse, thats opinion.

Personally I think Sammy took them to new musical levels Dave never could but they lost some of their balls, swagger, edge, and style during it all. That's just my opinion. They became a very different band.

So I', bummed Mikey is out but I think they are getting back closer to what made them so great with Dave. I don't think this overshadows the dark day when DLR was out of VH.

I don't know ....I guess what I'm saying is the return of Dave overrides the dispapoitment of Mike being out. Where in 1985 the pain of DLR being out was not comforted by the Red Rocker joining VH. I was in shock then. I'm not hating on Hagar, he just made the band a different animal imo. I like the original better and so does radio and most of the world it seems. To them thats VH.

again not hating. I supported vh with all singers...just sayin.
    The jury is still out on whether the change to Sam changed the band for the worse...that's a debate that will never be reconciled on this site...change means different, not better or worse...that said, the return of DLR is huge in my mind...and in the mind's of many on this site...clearly this was something that needed to happen for the band's history to be complete...many of us miss Mike, myself included...no doubt it would be great to have him along on this trek too...it won't be the same without him, but i think DLR is gonna ROCK!!!
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...

VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I like all three or if you wish, four era's of the band.

No DLR is worse.

I look at both members departure like a death in the family. When Dave left it was like having somebody die early in life. Before the internet, we received our info from Circus, Hit Parader and from DJ's. We had no idea of the tensions in the band. When it hit, it was very shocking due to the false image we had of the band being friends.

Mike was on the outs since the Sam and Dave tour. When you add him signing his rights away, the personal jabs between both camps, etc, you could see the writing on the wall. His departure to me was like when my grandmother passed two weeks ago. She was sick for two years and was 86 years old. It was bound to happen.

Mike's subtraction does lessen the excitement to a degree. However I am also interested in seeing the son of EVH play to be honest with you. While a full CVH show would be much better, this excites me more than 2004.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Mike.

I think everyone who knows about the trouble that was around in the band when Dave was involved couldn't be a good thing. Eventually that split was gonna happen, I truely believe that at that point in time Ed and DAve could no way work together, there was actual hatred there. From my perspective I dont' really see what Mike did to deserve the venom that has come his way. He stayed with the band in 85 when Dave split and supported them in every way, shape and form which really isn't all that much of a shock cause it seems like he really didn't like dave that much eiter. He was loyal to the band when sam got the boot and represented the band well even through the "lean" years. He played with sam but he never bad mouthed Ed or Al...about the worst thing he ever did was call them beavis and butthead on Sam's long road to Cabo and you can barely hear that. I'd like to hear from Ed and Al's mouth exactly what he did that was so bad to deserve what has happened to him.

He's getting treated like shit and like he never existed and I just don't see why...I mean removing his image from cd's that are almost 30 years old? They might not have did alot to promote the Dave era when Sam was around but they never sunk to this level.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

If given the choice, I believe everybody on this site should say they would rather have no Mike than no Dave.

Would you rather have Mike and then have some random dude singing? Or is this all about Sammy? Puting Sammy aside, would you rather have no Mike or No Dave? If your answer is No Dave, maybe you are just a casual VH fan...go look at Dokkinlinks.com
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd rather have Mike.

Over the years, I've gotten used to singer replacements so it dosen't really phase me to have someone else up front. The constant has always been Ed, Al and Mike. Having someone else playing bass just dosne't seem right.

With Mike gone it makes the reunion with Dave very bitter-sweet. It just cheapens the whole thing.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

poor Mike. He didn't have any balls to say anything until after he was gone. I feel so bad for him
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    poor Mike. He didn't have any balls to say anything until after he was gone. I feel so bad for him
    I think we all want a true reunion, but VH stated this version is not a reunion but a new band. I expect this line-up change will lay some fire inside the mighty VH's belly!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts

Mike
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Hey, now Mike can work on the long-awaited Snake reunion.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.