Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Texas Parents Sue Governor, School District Over Moment of Silence

A Texas family is suing Gov. Rick Perry and a school district over a state-mandated moment of silence in schools, according to The Dallas Morning News.

David Wallace Croft and his wife, Shannon, of Carrollton, Texas, have three children at Rosemeade Elementary and argue that the moment of silence is unconstitutional and amounts to state-sanctioned school prayer.

The couple has a history of complaints against religious affiliated words and images in schools, having previously complained about Boy Scout rallies held during school, fliers sent home about Good News Bible Club meetings and the inclusion of "Silent Night" and a Hanukkah song in holiday concerts, according to report.

Krista Moody, a spokeswoman for Perry, said the moment of silence law that the Crofts filed a suit against on March 1, 2006 was passed in 2003 and calls for students to observe a moment of silence after reciting pledges to the U.S. and Texas flags each day.

"The governor is certainly in favor of allowing students and faculty to quietly reflect on what they chose," Moody told FOXNews.com.

Moody said the beauty behind the freedom of the law is children get to do with the moment what they wish. There are no guidelines behind the silence.

Ted Cruz, solicitor general for Texas, who represented Perry at a federal district court hearing on Tuesday, said the Crofts are arguing specifically that every moment of silence statute in the country is unconstitutional, and even if that first point is not correct, they further argue any statute that mentions the word "pray" is unconstitutional.

There are currently 25 states that have moment of silence statutes. Thirteen of them explicitly specify prayer as an option the child can choose.

The Crofts are citing a case from the 1980s that struck down a moment of silence statute in Alabama.

"That argument is contrary to binding U.S. Supreme Court precedent," Cruz told FOXNews.com.

Cruz said the Texas law is virtually identical to a Virginia state law that was unanimously held up in the federal court of appeals in 2001. The Supreme Court later declined to review that case. He said in initiating the current law, the Texas legislature has acted to protect the freedom of conscience of every child.

"The First Amendment was drafted to protect the religious liberty of everyone, not to express hostility to matters of faith," he told FOXNews.com.

Cruz said the federal court heard arguments on the matter Tuesday and would decide the case in about a month.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Oh, give me a break..........
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

As a school we have never mandated a student to pray, but we do expect students to be at least quiet and respect the rights of others who may choose to do so.

On a side note we are required by legislature to have 2 pledges the, the US pledge and the Texas pledge. For years it has been "Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas one and indivisible." As of a memo I received July 30th it is now "Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

I personally do not have an issue, but i imagine another can of worms has been opened.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Cash grab.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post

OK, one break . . . .
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm in complete support of what Thomas Jefferson referred to as the "wall of separation between church and state", and certainly no fan of "Governor Goodhair", but defining a "moment of silence" as mandated prayer is a bit ridiculous, as long as nobody is suggesting you use such a moment for praying, or demands that you read a bible.

Now, on the other hand, adding the "God" language to a state pledge - as if a state pledge in and of itself wasn't ridiculous - that could easily be seen as crossing the line, as children ARE expected to participate in the pledge, unless their religion specifically forbids it (i.e. Jehova's Witnesses, who consider the act to be idolatrous flag worship)
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14