Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Registering A Band Name...?

Quite honestly, it's been over a decade since the formation of my last band. At that particular point in time, the registering of a band name or a service providing it was quite a novel notion (I do not believe "Google" was even up and running back then...).

I was thinking about the process the other day, and just for the hell of it, I put in a search via Google for "registering a band name" and came up with (quite literally) millions of hits. One of these, for an outfit called (this is not an endorsement or plug, I merely mention it as a reference) offers a service that for as little as $12, will allow one to research and register a band name, along with other options such as acceptance and listing on a "Worldwide Band and Artist Registry".

OK, I'm cynical to begin with, and some of these things seem somewhat dubious in nature, anyway. Yet, out of curiosity I have to ask: "Have any of you folk used such a service, what were your results, were you pleased and what are your thoughts overall on the concept?"
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Forum Frontman

07.04.16 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, chef. And unfortunately I don't have a lot to say about it. I've never registered a band name, though I've read through of a few of the solicitations and it really just seemed like kind of a scam. (That's just an impression, though; I know very little about it.) It's my understanding that Google and Yahoo search engines list sites in order of their popularity and regular updates. So to make it high up on the searches, get people to visit your site.

Does this make sense? Does anyone wanna call bullshit on what I'm saying?

Good Enough

05.09.16 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

If you are referring to trademarks, pay a lawyer to do the search and application.
    Otherwise, there are very few reputable services that you can pay for. My band gets hit on at least once EVERY DAY by someone offering services for a fee. Most are scams. Even SonicBids is full of scammers. I just like the calendar feature...keep it up-to-date and then add the html code to any website that will accept code.