Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default Nine in 10 Americans say ban texting while driving

Though I am guilty as charged, I'm completely on board with this.

Nine in 10 Americans say ban texting while driving

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ninety-one percent of Americans believe sending text messages while driving is as dangerous as driving after having a couple of drinks, but 57 percent admit to doing it, a poll released on Tuesday said.

The Harris Interactive survey commissioned by mobile messaging service Pinger Inc. found 89 percent of respondents believe texting while driving is dangerous and should be outlawed.

Even so, 66 percent of the adults surveyed who drive and use text messaging told pollsters they had read text messages or e-mails while driving. Fifty-seven percent admitted to sending them.

The state of Washington in May passed the first ban in the United States on texting while driving and at least six other states including New York, California and Florida are considering similar legislation, Pinger said in a statement releasing the survey results.

The survey found that men and women sent text messages while driving at equal rates but that the young did so more frequently. Sixty-four percent of those who admitted to sending text messages while driving were aged 18 to 34 while 6 percent were 55 or older.

The poll surveyed 2,049 U.S. adults from June 29 to July 3, giving the survey a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scotty5150 View Post
    Though I am guilty as charged, I'm completely on board with this.

Nine in 10 Americans say ban texting while driving

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ninety-one percent of Americans believe sending text messages while driving is as dangerous as driving after having a couple of drinks, but 57 percent admit to doing it, a poll released on Tuesday said.

The Harris Interactive survey commissioned by mobile messaging service Pinger Inc. found 89 percent of respondents believe texting while driving is dangerous and should be outlawed.

Even so, 66 percent of the adults surveyed who drive and use text messaging told pollsters they had read text messages or e-mails while driving. Fifty-seven percent admitted to sending them.

The state of Washington in May passed the first ban in the United States on texting while driving and at least six other states including New York, California and Florida are considering similar legislation, Pinger said in a statement releasing the survey results.

The survey found that men and women sent text messages while driving at equal rates but that the young did so more frequently. Sixty-four percent of those who admitted to sending text messages while driving were aged 18 to 34 while 6 percent were 55 or older.

The poll surveyed 2,049 U.S. adults from June 29 to July 3, giving the survey a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points.
    isn't that already banned? In Canada I imagine you'd be charged with careless driving.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I can't believe there's actually 1 in 10 who's not in favor of the ban.

..must be a chick.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Unfortunately, the survey was conducted during rush hour, leading to a multi-car pile up on the interstate as drivers texted their responses...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

At the very minimum, ALL cell phone use without a hands-free device should be made illegal and fineable.

What I find amusing is that you can be fined for not wearing a seatbelt, which is an INDIVIDUAL decision for an adult over the age of 18, but nearly every asshole in the world can blab away about nothing on a cell phone while driving a vehicle, which CAN affect other people's safety and does so everyday.

Just goes to show what a powerful lobby backed by big money can get done....or in this case, not get done.

Also, too many people are guilty of this behavior in a vehicle, so there won't be a public outcry anytime soon.

Remember, most all those people who say they would be for a ban of texting while driving are GUILTY of it themselves and/or guilty of yacking on their little slave device.......errrrrrr......cell phone.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wham bam will rock View Post
    but nearly every asshole in the world can blab away about nothing on a cell phone while driving a vehicle, which CAN affect other people's safety and does so everyday
    but nearly every person in the world can blab away about nothing with their passenger(s) while driving a vehicle, which CAN affect other people's safety and does so everyday...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    but nearly every person in the world can blab away about nothing with their passenger(s) while driving a vehicle, which CAN affect other people's safety and does so everyday...
    True...yet one does not need to take one (or both) hands off of the fucking steering wheel in order to communicate with a passenger.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I agree with this. Ban it.

Also, I'm guilty as charged, but it is always work related, not personal.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    There is a difference between chatting with a passenger and on a phone. We went through it in another thread somewhere. When chatting with a passenger, they can see the ebb and flow of traffic, and the conversation ebbs and flows along with it, so you are rarely engaged in an active conversation while in a delicate driving situation. On a cell phone, they are yacking away indiscriminantly, causing distractions at key moments.

When we went through this last time, I had JUST read an article about that very issue, I can't remember all of it, but the above was the rough idea.

Texting or, even worse, emailing on a Blackberry, are horrible ideas while driving.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

It's VERY illegal to use a mobile phone without a headset. The tragedy that led to it was a guy texting his girlfriend, went off the road onto a train track.. managed to get out of his car but derailed an oncoming train leading to several deaths. He was jailed for manslaughter.
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 08.07.07 at 08:48 AM.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by scotty5150 View Post
    Ninety-one percent of Americans believe sending text messages while driving is as dangerous as driving after having a couple of drinks, but 57 percent admit to doing it, a poll released on Tuesday said.
    The percentages quoted seem pretty bizarre. I don't for a moment believe that 57% (+/- 3%) of Americans send text messages at all, let alone do it while driving.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,473 Times in 899 Posts

I am guilty of driving without a hands-free device for the phone. I don't do it often but I do it.

I'd like to know is there a ban on eating while driving or drinking coffee while driving or playing with the radio while driving or putting makeup on while driving?

Your hands aren't free doing that.

Sorry but I wasn't really in favor of fines because I was on the phone in my car.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    ..I'd like to know is there a ban on eating while driving or drinking coffee while driving or playing with the radio while driving or putting makeup on while driving?

Your hands aren't free doing that.

Sorry but I wasn't really in favor of fines because I was on the phone in my car.
    The "watermelon smashing" comedian Gallagher once came up with the idea that everyone driving should be equipped with those little plastic guns that shoot suction cupped darts, to be fired by folk dismayed by one's driving skills. Once you get ten on your car, the police pull you over and give you a ticket for being an asshole.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 146 Times in 83 Posts

Premium Member

Using a cell phone while driving without a hands free device has been against the law in New York since 2001, but you'd never know it by driving on ANY road in the state.

It is amazing to me how many people have this incessant need to be reached anytime, anywhere or this constant craving for human interaction. Then again, if it wasn't for 9/11, I probably would still not own a cell phone. I like being unreachable at times. I have a phone at work. I have a phone at home. People who know me know to try and reach me at those two places. If I'm not in those two places, I don't want to hear about my wife's day, or about the fight my friend had with his wife, or about what my sister's boss said to her, or about the party my brother went to, etc. And don't get me started with text messages. I'm 36 years old. I'm not going to type abbreviations with 1 thumb. I'll save the abbreviation typing for message boards, thank you. LOL

Mini diatribe over. Thanks for the forum.
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Texting while driving is stupid and stupid people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Frankly, I find the whole notion of texting in general to be imposibly goofy. You clearly have access to a phone...make a fucking phone call!