Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Where Were You When Elvis Died?

With the 30th anniversary of his death coming up, I thought this would be an interesting topic. Of course, this would be for us old timers, since many of you weren't even a twinkle in your daddy's eye yet.

For me, I was 12 and my Mom and I were working on a house, cleaning it up and getting it ready for our family to move into.

When we got ready to leave, we got into the car and the battery was dead, so I ended up walking to the nearest neighbors house, which was about a mile. I called some friends who came out and got our car started and then we went over to their house. They were watching my brother and my sisters too while my Mom and I worked on the house, so my whole family, except my Dad who was working away from home, was at their house.

I had just sat down at the kitchen table when my brother, who was 9, came running into the room and said "Ronny, did you hear that Elvis died?!"

I remember just going kind of numb. Elvis was a pretty big deal in our house, still is, and hearing that news was just devastating to me. Then we all went into the living room and watched all of the reports that came on during the rest of the night.

I've still never seen a performer that could captivate an audience the way Elvis did. He was truly one of a kind.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

At sixteen years of age, I was delivering newspapers with my friend Tim, setting a pattern of low income yet highly tedious vocational choices I've made until this very day. The radio repeatedly played Elvis' version of "My Way", as it may have been the only Presley track available at the station.

I always loved John Lennon's line regarding the death of Presley. When asked of his feelings about "The King's" death, Lennon sagely announced: "Elvis died when he went in the Army".

Even day, this still stands as possibly the most astute rock critism ever offered.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I was pooping in my diapers as a happy go lucky one year old.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

I was 8, and in the back seat of my Parents station wagon ( A yellow Dodge Aspen ), riding down Grand Avenue in South STL.

I still have a clear memory of it.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in the second or third grade I remember standing in the hall and some kid came out from behind the door, and said did you now that Elvis is dead. I did not believe it; Elvis was like larger than life back then.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:55 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

I was almost ten years old and hanging out down the street, when my buddy comes over and says "I guess you are not going to see that Elvis concert this week!" My first thought was it was cancelled, then he says " - He died."

I went home kind of stunned, I was supposed to see him on the day of my tenth birthday August 21. Needless to say my parents had to try and make for what would been an awesome 10th B-day gift. It took awhile to recover from that.

I still have the ticket, I can not believe how cheap it was back in the stone age, 12 bucks, imagine if he were around with today's prices.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My mom was a HUGE Elvis fan. When he died, I was 12 and at home with my brother, 10, and my sister, 14.

My parents had gone out to an early dinner with my best friend's parents. My best friend's dad was also a huge Elvis fan.

The news came on TV while they were out. When they came home, I met them in the driveway as they pulled in and I told them about Elvis. My mom actually cried and my best friends dad walked away (to his house...across the street) shaking his head.

This is such a clear memory. Strange how the mind holds on to certain things.

30 years...shit I'm old.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I was 9 years old and I clearly remember sitting in the living room with my parents watching it all unfold on the 6:00 news. Seems like a hundred years ago.

My father was about 21 when Elvis crashed the scene. Like most guys my dad's age Elvis was the be-all end-all. I can still remember how much it bothered him when Elvis died. I imagine that's exactly how I'll feel when that dreaded day comes for our boys in VH.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I was 4. I remember my mom was rocking my baby sister and they announced it. My mom burst into tears.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I was 6 years old but I don't remember where I was when Elvis died. I'm sure I was home with my parents eagerly awaiting something new on the music scene which would come out the following year!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.15.17 @ 01:15 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I was mowing the grass at my aunts house , she scared the hell out of me . I looked up and she came running out of the house crying Elvis is dead . Never was a huge fan , my parents loved him . The wife and I toured Graceland last August and it was interesting to see how much and how many people from around the world were touched by the The King .

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was 8 years old and I was lying on the floor in the living room and my mom was cleaning the kitchen. I was watching a war movie, I can't remember which one it was, probably a John Wayne movie, and the movie was interrupted by a news program. They showed Graceland and a picture of Elvis. I shouted to my mom to come watch the news and I asked her if this was her idol. I told her they found him dead. My mom collapsed into a chair and started crying.

My mom said she hadn't cried that hard since the deaths of Buddy Holly, JFK and Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

on the toilet. no, wait. that was elvis. actually i was in the living room at my grandparents house in jersey, and it came on the news.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Huh, I have no idea where I was or what I was doing even though I was 18 at the time. Nobody I knew at the time was an Elvis fan and he was generally thought of among people I hung out with as a washed up hasbeen.

I've since learned to appreciate his music and his '68 comeback special is a benchmark in rock n' roll. Bruce Springsteen's "Johnny Bye Bye" and Phil Lynott's "Kings Call" are two great Elvis tribute songs.

T.B.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

I remember very clearly.... it was the worst summer vacation ever....... I broke my leg a week earlier when in my 11 year old mind thought it would be a brillant idea to stack up a bunch of cardboard boxes.....then jump out of our 2nd story window onto them......anyway, I was lying on my bed listening to top 40 radio when the DJ announced it......the news didn't have a huge impact in my house though.....my parents were older, and were more into 40's Swing......Tommy Dorsey type of stuff.....