Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Default Fucking Gibson strikes again (Garrison owners pay attention)

Sooo...for those that don't know, Gibson bought Garrison on July 3rd. We are a Garrison dealer, and I am a Garrison owner.

Well, We received an email today, and Gibson has decided to void the warranty of any Garrison guitar purchased prior to July 3rd, 2007.

Nice.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Sooo...for those that don't know, Gibson bought Garrison on July 3rd. We are a Garrison dealer, and I am a Garrison owner.

Well, We received an email today, and Gibson has decided to void the warranty of any Garrison guitar purchased prior to July 3rd, 2007.

Nice.
    That would be my Garrison acoustic I purchased now two years ago.

Damn. And I kind of liked that company. I wonder if the music store I teach at will still carry Garrison.

For the record, I fucking hate Gibson.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    That would be my Garrison acoustic I purchased now two years ago.

Damn. And I kind of liked that company. I wonder if the music store I teach at will still carry Garrison.

For the record, I fucking hate Gibson.
    Well at first, they told us nothing was going to change, other than we had to submit a credit app to Gibson (since we are a dealer). Apparently, this is a situation like Fender with their subsidiaries: Jackson, Charvel, Tacoma, Guild, etc....so they bought the factory, the employees get paychecks from Gibson now, not Garrison, but the company is to remain as untouched as possible.

One story I read said that the name Gibson would appear on the guitars, but if that is the case, it would probably be like how Gibson appears on most Epiphone guitars.

The Garrison name is staying, Chris Griffiths still runs his facility, but Gibson now owns them.

Then today we got the email.

So we called our outside rep.

He has already been fired by Gibson since last we talked, after being told, and telling us, nothing would change. Fucking Gibson.

So I emailed Gibson and Garrison and wrote them a nasty letter. I feel really, really bad. I have sold countless Garrisons over the past 4 or 5 years, probably even longer. We were one of the first West Coast dealers. They sound great, but they aren't a big name. I show them to people, I recommend them, I tell people I own one (I'm technically endorsed, but it's not a "real" endorsement). They also sound great. So once you legitimize them as a salesman, people really listen to how they sound. This was also the theory behind their "endorsement": People see a local 'pro' playing it, it legitimizes the new brand. I also mention the warranty on almost every sale because it is limited lifetime, but the first 5 years are transferrable, which makes the resale value higher despite not being a big name.

So now I look like an asshole. Anyone that has a problem that I sold them on this guitar now has no recourse.

And now, on my G20ce, I have no recourse. Way to stand behind your new product, Gibson. How lame.

Just the plain fact that Gibson bought them, we were likely not going to re-up as a dealer because Gibson is such a pain in the ass. Now, we will definitely drop them.

Now our question is: Does the 7/3/07 purchase date apply to consumers, or dealers? Does this mean that our inventory of about 7 GArrisons, purchased buy us prior to 7/3/07, are now devoid of any warranty? Or do they have one because it's a consumer purchase date. Garrison couldn't answer our question yesterday.

To be fair, GArrison's email seemed like they HATED this decision. They came across as not being happy about this at all.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 08.01.07 at 11:00 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I suppose there probably aren't enough out there to add value to the "pre-Gibson"-made Garrisons (?).

Coincidentally, I was paging through the new Guitar Player tonight with Alex Lifeson on the cover, and he's taking numerous Garrisons out on the road with him. It WAS a Canadian artist out endorsing a (now former) Canadian guitar company.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I suppose there probably aren't enough out there to add value to the "pre-Gibson"-made Garrisons (?).

Coincidentally, I was paging through the new Guitar Player tonight with Alex Lifeson on the cover, and he's taking numerous Garrisons out on the road with him. It WAS a Canadian artist out endorsing a (now former) Canadian guitar company.

Yeah. I talked to my boss today. He spoke to MS Retailer magazine, who interviewed him. They told him this situation is "a mess", and it's sort of sending shockwaves through the MI world.

Technically though, it is still a Canadian company. They will still be made there, and still say Garrison--and instead of the Garrison employees' checks coming from Garrison, they now come from the new company name, Gibson Canada, Inc.

Last Online

Premium Member

Here is the email:

From: Jennifer Finlay <Jennifer.Finlay@garrisonguitars.com>
    To: "Chris Griffith" <Chris.Griffith@gibson.com>
    Subject: Garrison/Gibson Warranty Claims
    Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:34 PM

Hello,

Unfortunately I have some bad news for Dealers with Warranty issues, here is the info I have received from our warranty department.

Gibson USA has purchased Garrison Guitars, but has not accepted responsibility for warranty repairs to, or replacements of Garrison instruments, sold before the July 3, 2007 purchase.

Unfortunately, Gibson USA did not accept liability of warranty claims associated with Garrison Guitars.

No warranty claims will be accepted, no Return Authorizations (RAís) will be given, no call-tags will be issued, and returned instruments, sold prior to the purchase, will be refused.

Over the past few years Garrison has become very well respected for our warranty policy and attention to customer service; so we are finding this very difficult.

Our remaining inventory was purchased by Gibson USA, as was the Garrison name and the St. Johnís factory. Garrison employees were offered their jobs back under a new employer, and those that accepted are now employees of Gibson USA - under the registered name of Gibson Canada Ltd.

So - repairs to your guitar will now be your responsibility, and will not be covered under warranty.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this information please contact me at Jennifer.vincent@gibson.com so I can forward your comments on to the appropriate people. I apologize for the troubles this will surely cause you.

Jennifer Vincent

Inventory Control Coordinator

Garrison Guitars

a division of Gibson

P.O. Box 13096

St. John's NL A1B 3V8

Phone 709-745-6677 Ext 315

Fax 709-745-6688

jennifer.vincent@gibson.com

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'll preface my following statement with this: I know very little about the business of buyouts such as this one.

Can this warranty issue be pinned on Garrison's former owner(s) and/or lawyers negotiating the sale? It seems Garrison could have insisted on a clause that included honoring warranties, at least to some degree.

Last Online

Premium Member

Well I am not sure where I could get someone to tell us our recourse, and what rights the dealers are entitled to--for free lol.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Well I didn't necessarily mean that Garrison's former owners should be held liable for honoring the warranty. I just meant this: Don't you think they should have been looking out for their now-former customers (i.e. dealers and guitar owners) by insisting on some sort of a warranty clause? Again, I know very little about even the possibility, but I don't think that's too crazy of thing to have made part of the deal.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.07 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Yeah. I talked to my boss today. He spoke to MS Retailer magazine, who interviewed him. They told him this situation is "a mess", and it's sort of sending shockwaves through the MI world.

Technically though, it is still a Canadian company. They will still be made there, and still say Garrison--and instead of the Garrison employees' checks coming from Garrison, they now come from the new company name, Gibson Canada, Inc.
    This is why people need to start realizing that Gibson/Fender made today does not = Gibson/Fender of yesteryear. I wish all of us musicians could band together and send them a message "hey, we're tired of all your crap that you force us to accept".

Its like mom-and-pop guitar stores - they're goin under b/c Mom and Dad take their snot-nosed kids to Guitar Center - where music is just completely soul-less. What the hell happened to being able to negotiate a price?

Its very frustrating to see stuff like this Garrison buy-out happen (again)...

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LypsLynch55 View Post
    This is why people need to start realizing that Gibson/Fender made today does not = Gibson/Fender of yesteryear. I wish all of us musicians could band together and send them a message "hey, we're tired of all your crap that you force us to accept".

Its like mom-and-pop guitar stores - they're goin under b/c Mom and Dad take their snot-nosed kids to Guitar Center - where music is just completely soul-less. What the hell happened to being able to negotiate a price?

Its very frustrating to see stuff like this Garrison buy-out happen (again)...
    Well I have had nothing but good experience with Fender. And if you compare this situation to that, Fender took on all of the Jackson, Charvel, Guild, and Tacoma warranties when they bought them.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

What's the warranty on the new EVH stuff?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.10.07 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, apparently Gibson has become the freaking fascist regime of the musical instrument world!

My favorite local music store here in Jacksonville, Music Depot, is a long-established "mom & pop" store, and they recently had to end their dealings with Gibson after more than 25 years due to similar strongarm tactics. From what I understand, Gibson is the most militant manufacturer when it comes to dictating what you will and won't carry, and if you don't like it... tough shit! It really looks like they're in cahoots with the Wal-Mart chains like Guitar Center/Musician's Friend, George's & Sam Ash, and are actively working to put the local music merchant out of business.

Screw it, I was seriously planning on finally adding a Les Paul to my collection next year, now I think I'll just buy a Heritage instead! I'm already pretty much boycotting Guitar Center as it is, and George's just plain sucks ass!

I've always preferred dealing with local merchants, they actually give a shit about their customers, and I've made some great friends and contacts at my local store; hell, my buddies and I all hang out there for half the day on Saturday mornings after breakfast just shooting the shit, jammin' and helping them sell stuff. They take great care of us, too, and in the interest of keeping those kinds of relationships alive, I'd strongly suggest that everybody out there give the little guys your business whenever possible. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

SBS
    Last edited by Sir Brown Sound; 08.06.07 at 06:22 AM.
    There is no "I" in "Team", but there are four in "Platitude-Quoting Idiot".

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brown Sound View Post
    Man, apparently Gibson has become the freaking fascist regime of the musical instrument world!

My favorite local music store here in Jacksonville, Music Depot, is a long-established "mom & pop" store, and they recently had to end their dealings with Gibson after more than 25 years due to similar strongarm tactics. From what I understand, Gibson is the most militant manufacturer when it comes to dictating what you will and won't carry, and if you don't like it... tough shit! It really looks like they're in cahoots with the Wal-Mart chains like Guitar Center/Musician's Friend, George's & Sam Ash, and are actively working to put the local music merchant out of business.

Screw it, I was seriously planning on finally adding a Les Paul to my collection next year, now I think I'll just buy a Heritage instead! I'm already pretty much boycotting Guitar Center as it is, and George's just plain sucks ass!

I've always preferred dealing with local merchants, they actually give a shit about their customers, and I've made some great friends and contacts at my local store; hell, my buddies and I all hang out there for half the day on Saturday mornings after breakfast just shooting the shit, jammin' and helping them sell stuff. They take great care of us, too, and in the interest of keeping those kinds of relationships alive, I'd strongly suggest that everybody out there give the little guys your business whenever possible. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

SBS
    Hey man, I hear you on this, and in general what you say is true, but I do want to say that it is very difficult to make a blanket statement saying that the little guy is always better than the big guy.

I live in San Francisco and there are only a few small guitar stores here. One of them, Haight Ashberry Music, is run by the biggest fucking assholes on the face of this earth. I walked in there looking to buy a brand new Line 6 Vetta a few years back, and when I asked to plug in, the chick threw her hand in my face and disdainfully said I had 5 minutes. Not being too familiar with the Vetta, it took me that long just to get a decent sound; sure enough she came by and cut the power and asked me to hang up the guitar. I haven't even set foot in that den of hippie-stink since.

Then I walked over to Guitar Center with my skin crawling. I had no other option in the City if I wanted to get a Vetta. I asked to plug in a play and they let me have at it without interruption for about an hour. I threw my credit card down and walked out with it (it was cheaper there too).

I have plenty of beef with GC (I have a repair under warrenty they sent out that was supposed to take 2 weeks and it has been 6), but I find that I have only found a handful of stores, big and small, that aren't run by either incompetents, dicks or both. The big guys just get too corporate about their assholery and that just adds fuel to the fire.

lovemachine97, I'd love to find your store because I'm sure you'd be the exception to the rule.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

BTW, I fucking hate Gibson too. I'd buy a K-Mart Special before I'd throw any money down on those overpriced pieces of dogshit. I never played a Garrison before, but it sounds like they are in for a world of change.