Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Default Fantasy NBA 2007/2008

Kicking back in to Fantasy gear here.

It's time for our reigning champion, Mr. Brew Crew, to try and defend his title from last season.

I'll try to encapsulate as much in to one post here as possible for future reference regarding the league and the rules, of which, it was suggested that there may have been too many to follow last year (especially around the injured list), so for enjoyments sake, we'll try to keep it similar but more simplified this year.

Access to last years page can be made through http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/10559 and enter the password of vhlinks

You will need a yahoo! ID to enter and participate in the league

First, the teams:

Returning from last years league, we have: Brew Crew (champion), myself, Miller Lite Drinkers (Brews brother), Brett, Scotty5150 and jrk5150.

Our freshmen class will include wruff_ajax, it's me, and two more teams yet to be determined (offers have been extended and am waiting on replies), and this will total 10 teams for the league. A perfect number for fantasy I think. It keeps the talent pool from being too shallow or too deep once the top 140 players or so are drafted.

The Format:

This league will be head to head (same as prior years), meaning that your team will play a different opponent every week. We cycle through and play each other about 3 times I think. In the past, we have competed in the following scoring categories: FGM (field goals made), FG%, FTM (free throws made), FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO. I'm considering a minor revision to this and will be looking to you for feedback/approval. I'd like to take out turnovers (TO). I have never liked that as a scoring category
    (the only negative stat, meaning it reduces your win total by one if you have a lot of turnovers). I'd like to add 3PT% and offensive boards as it's own stat (but still keep overall rebounds). Thoughts? Each category won is considered one point. The weeks winners are determined by how many categories you win/lose.

We'll compete with the following roster positions: (same as last year): PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN (Util= utility and can be any NBA position, BN= Bench and does not count towards the days stats ie if a player is assigned to the bench, even if they are playing that night, they are not active and accumulating towards your score).

It's a pretty free form league as far as your roster goes. You can log in and see the setup of last years. It'll be about the same. You can add/drop players at will and pick up from the free agency if you have poor performers. I will be setting the limit at 45 transactions for the season though just so we don't get in to any kind of daily update kind of scenarios, which isn't fun. If you haven't been in a league where that's happened or don't know what I'm talking about, trust me, it's frustrating and annoying. I don't think the fine stallions selected for this league would do such a thing, but I'm still putting that in place. I think 45 allows for quite a bit of roster movement. Trades and injured reserve players don't count towards your moves for the season (more on injuries later).

The Draft!:

This is one of the funnest parts of the season for me. This year is going to just rock.

First of all, WE'RE DOING THIS ONE LIVE!!! Last years off-line draft was painstakingly slow and at times frustrating, lasting over two weeks to get 140 players drafted and it sucked. It got the job done but it was a challenge, especially for me. I did another draft for another league online and we were done in an hour. Draft day will be around the first of October(ish) and I'll keep you posted on date/time. If you can't make it for whatever reason, I'm not stopping the live draft for you. You will have the ability to pre-rank your players. When your turn comes up to pick, it will draw from the waivers with your highest ranked available player automatically.

This is a keeper league, meaning that if you return from a prior year, you can retain "up to" 4 players on your rosters. I've put some thought in to how this will work with some teams not continuing and how that mixes with the new blood this year and this is what I've come up with as the most fair way to build it:

The 4 new teams will draft between themselves through the first 4 rounds of the draft, meaning those of us with keepers allow them to go first so they can also choose from the pool of the leagues best players. This will keep it fair and competitive (as you will see later, there are plenty of "keeper" type players out there and available to draft like Lebron James, Marion, Ming, Allen, T-mac etc.

(Exception for vets- Anybody who was here last year that keeps less than four can join in the draft at whatever stage your keeper number is at, for example, if I only want to elect to keep 2 players, I can join the draft in the third round. If you want to blow up your team and just keep one, you can join in round 2 etc.)

Like I mentioned, this will be an online draft. Chatrooms will be up and available in the yahoo league homepage but I'll also be providing an 800 number to call in to for a conference. Brett is the only knucklehead I've had the pleasure of meeting outside of this little cyber world so it will be nice to chat with some of you guys (and talk shit about your lame ass picks).

The draft will be a "snake" style draft starting at 1, going through 10, then 10 again and back to 1. Repeat 14 times.
    The rules:

Standard rules of the league will be displayed under the league settings page on the Yahoo! site. I do have some additions though that are not listed there:

1. ACTIVE PARTICIPATION- Basically, this is a big boy league. I expect that this be an active, interactive and competitive league. I don't care if you have a good team or a bad team or what your rank is, but I do care about you playing your best. That means basically updating your roster on a weekly (or so) basis, responding to trade requests within a reasonable amount of time, taking care of injured players etc. It's lame when somebody disappears for a week and doesn't update their roster, letting their opponent have an easy win (which affects everything including final standings, playoff rankings etc) and then comes back the next week and updates just to smoke the next guy. It's not fair. Basically, the more participation we have, the funner the league is for everybody. This has always been an active league so I'd have no reason to suspect that it won't continue to be. I just want to put that out there. If you end up in last place, I'd expect you to not pick up your ball and go home.

2. The injured list- Last year this became a sore spot for some. Basically, it became too complicated. 2-3 years ago, Yahoo had an injured reserve list. They simply called it the IR. It was connected to NBA.com and their active listing of players who were out hurt. Once a player goes down, if they were on that list for 3 consecutive games or more, they were automatically eligible for the IR. You could hit a drop down on your team page and place them on the list and go pick up another player from the waiver wire to replace him until he healed up. NBA did away with the formal list, so Yahoo had to take the functionality off. Well, that sucks, so I devised our own that we just manage within the league. It's going to be as simple as this: If you have a player go down and missed playing time in 3 consecutive games or more, you can drop that player, have them be protected (nobody can pick them up), pick up another player to replace them until he heals and pick him back up at that time. As long as we have rule #1 followed, this will never be a problem. Last year we had a stipulation that if a player is back and active for 3 games and still not picked up, he's up for grabs for anybody. We're not doing that again. If he's protected, he's protected until you want to pick him back up. If he's been back for a while and you haven't picked him up, I may send you a note asking you to shit or get off the pot, but he's your guy.

Disputes/challenges go through me. I'll mediate if necessary. Doubt it will be. If you guys don't like the way something is done, bring it up by all means. I have no problem with a democratic league at all. I was a little dictatorial last year but my intentions were honest. On some things, I just didn't want to be bogged down with paralysis by analysis and made decisions quickly. If you don't like something, let me know in either this thread or the comments section of the yahoo site.

3. Pre-draft trading: All pre draft trading should be done by September 15th For vets with keepers, decisions on your up to 4 keepers should be completed by this same date. You can trade picks, players, whatever you want. For you new blood pups, if you like somebody on an existing players roster and would like to jockey for him (perhaps somebody on your favorite team or somebody you think is a sleeper, you can for example offer up your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks or combination thereof for it. ....that should make it very fucking interesting I'd think.

The NBA Players:

See next post (ran out of room!)
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 08.08.07 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Per Seen's request
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Here is a list of our teams as we finished them last year:

Seenbad
    Steve Francis
    Rajon Rondo
    Tarence Kinsey
    Francisco Garcia
    Walter Herrmann
    Richard Jefferson
    Nene Hilario
    Devin Harris
    Ben Gordon
    Chris Bosh
    Dwyane Wade
    Michael Redd
    Kevin Garnett
    Gilbert Arenas

Brew Crew
    Jason Kidd
    Kevin Martin
    Anthony Parker
    Luol Deng
    Emeka Okafor
    Antawn Jamison
    Mikki Moore
    Rafer Alston
    Mike James
    Eddie Jones
    Nick Collison
    Marvin Williams
    Tim Duncan
    Tyronn Lue
    Ray Allen

Brett
    T.J. Ford
    Kobe Bryant
    Deron Williams
    Rashard Lewis
    Drew Gooden
    Josh Howard
    Shaquille O'Neal
    David West
    Jarrett Jack
    Manu Ginobili
    Stephon Marbury
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Zaza Pachulia
    Channing Frye

Miller Lite Drinkers
    Chris Paul
    Cuttino Mobley
    Chauncey Billups
    Corey Maggette
    Pau Gasol
    Mark Blount
    Samuel Dalembert
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Lamar Odom
    Udonis Haslem
    Jameer Nelson
    Tim Thomas
    Steve Nash
    Jason Kapono

jrk5150
    Andre Miller
    Kirk Hinrich
    Rudy Gay
    Hakim Warrick
    Antonio McDyess
    Ruben Patterson
    Eddy Curry
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Chris Kaman
    Mo Williams
    Danny Granger
    Al Jefferson
    Joe Johnson
    Caron Butler

Scotty
    Jason Terry
    Raja Bell
    Vince Carter
    Matt Carroll
    Gerald Wallace
    Luke Walton
    Amare Stoudemire
    Boris Diaw
    Chris Webber
    Stephen Jackson
    Carmelo Anthony
    Andris Biedrins
    Monta Ellis
    Grant Hill

Back in the draft pool from non returning teams…

Chris Duhon
    Larry Hughes
    Adonal Foyle
    Sam Cassell
    Richard Hamilton
    Tracy McGrady
    Al Harrington
    Elton Brand
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Andrew Bynum
    Vladimir Radmanovic
    Jamal Crawford
    Marko Jaric
    Tony Battie
    Raymond Felton
    Delonte West
    Ricky Davis
    LeBron James
    Rasheed Wallace
    Shawn Marion
    Marcus Camby
    Josh Childress
    Troy Murphy
    Charlie Villanueva
    Mike Bibby
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Mehmet Okur
    Tony Parker
    Paul Pierce
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Smush Parker
    Shane Battier
    Baron Davis
    Andres Nocioni
    Mike Miller
    Andrew Bogut
    Josh Smith
    Chris Wilcox
    Charlie Bell
    Mike Dunleavy
    Darko Milicic
    Leandro Barbosa
    Randy Foye
    Allen Iverson
    Ron Artest
    Donyell Marshall
    Bruce Bowen
    Ben Wallace
    Michael Finley
    Tayshaun Prince
    Dwight Howard
    Kyle Korver
    Hedo Turkoglu
    Carlos Boozer
    Andre Iguodala

Questions?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Sucka that pussy is out this year? Well he never updated his shit anyway, f that guy.

I'm already saying it. If Kobe is traded from the Lakers, he will also be traded from my team. I'm not cheering for that fag's stats if he's not wearing purple and gold.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Strong words. He's a lot to give up in fantasy based on principle.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Everyone else wins without him, so can I. That's IF he's traded, which I don't see happening, but who knows. It's just going to make it un-fun for me to have to cheer for him on here if he's not a Laker. Out of sight out of mind. It's not on principle, purely me just not wanting to see him do well.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Are the playoffs going to start earlier this year so we don't have star players not playing because they are resting for their actual playoffs?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Doubt it. The only way around that is to play the league at NBA.com instead of Yahoo. I think the season over there ends a week earlier. Still, that doesn't guarantee anything. There were guys sitting last year 3 weeks before the end of the season that could have played (ie half my team).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Okay, that works for me. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

That being said, I have no problem with a change of venue if you guys want to. That would be more of a consensus with the vet dudes. I think nba.com upgraded the interface a bit from last year making it pretty decent. I'm fine either way.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Up to you guys.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

i am ready to dominate.

Seen,

what day is the draft usually? weekday or weekend?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    i am ready to dominate.

Seen,

what day is the draft usually? weekday or weekend?
    Seen,

Never mind the draft question - just read this is the first live one. A weekend morning would work best for me.

When do the vets gonna declare which 4 players that they're keeping?

I like your idea of getting rid of the turnover category. Not as sold on the additions.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't care where we do it, but I would say a week earlier could be a good thing, so I'd err towards NBA.com is all else was equal.

Also - Seen - are we limited to one guy on IR, or can we make it 2 or even 3? I'd say the only problem with multiple guys is the length of time they stay on IR after coming back if you're getting rid of the 3 game rule on that end (which is also fine by me, I had a couple on again off again stiffs). As long as you're somewhat keeping an eye on it to make sure that healthy guys are either on the roster or up for grabs within a reasonable time frame, I'm fine - I do trust that you're playing it honest, and don't expect you to be 100% on everything. That's just the reasonable kind of guy I am.

And Seen - trade me KG now that he's a Celtic?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    And Seen - trade me KG now that he's a Celtic?
    offer him Al Jefferson and picks in next years draft - it worked for Ainge.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yeah, really.

Seen, how about Dirk?

Edit - on the other hand, I might want to think about that. It's likely that KG's scoring is going WAY down playing with those two.

And Big Al's numbers may go way up now that he'll be the man. You joke now, but KG for Al Jefferson actually could be a pretty close swap when you look at fantasy numbers.
    Last edited by jrk5150; 08.02.07 at 10:29 AM.