Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Woman Collected $2M in Welfare as Adopted Children Starved

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A Florida woman accused of using aliases to adopt 11 New York children received as much as $2 million in child welfare payments even as she starved, bound and abused them, police said Tuesday.

Investigators initially believed Judith Leekin, 62, had adopted nine children, but authorities in New York said Tuesday that Leekin adopted 11 children in all from New York City's foster care system between 1993 and 1996.

Authorities believe Leekin held the adopted children like prisoners in her Port St. Lucie home, often handcuffing them together and forcing them to soil themselves because they weren't allowed to use the bathroom.

"It's abhorrent," said John B. Mattingly, commissioner of the New York City Administration for Children's Services.

Leekin remained jailed in lieu of $4.5 million bail on 11 charges, including counts of aggravated child abuse, false identification and witness tampering, as well as four counts of aggravated abuse of a disabled adult.

Leekin's lawyer said his client denies the allegations.

"She indicated that she loved these children, that she took care of them," Mario Garcia said. "She nurtured them and fed them."

According to the children's services administration, Leekin used aliases to fraudulently adopt the children and had been receiving welfare payments at different addresses and bank accounts until her arrest in July.

Florida authorities said they located a 19-year-old man Monday who was among the 11 adopted by Leekin but had left the home two years ago. Police say Leekin was still collecting payments from the New York agency for his care.

"He had similar stories, similar scars and marks on his body from his wrists to his ankles where he alleges he was also handcuffed and tied to other people," Port St. Lucie Police spokesman Robert Vega said Tuesday.

Authorities were still trying to locate an 18-year-old whom Leekin adopted from New York, Vega said.

Police believe Leekin received as much as $2 million over the years from the New York child welfare agency, he said.

Parents who adopt special needs children in New York City can get as much as $55 a day until the child turns 21.

"We are working with law enforcement to provide them with all available records to aid in the investigation," Mattingly said. "We are also doing everything possible to see how this individual was apparently able to adopt children using multiple false identities."

The children's services administration noted that it began fingerprinting adults who adopted children out of foster care in 1999 — after Leekin's adoptions were processed. The agency is searching its records from all adoption agencies to root out any other fraudulent adoption cases, Mattingly said.

The case came to light July 4 when an 18-year-old woman was found wandering in a grocery store in St. Petersburg, about 200 miles away from Leekin's home. The woman told police Leekin had adopted her 13 years ago and abandoned her at the store that day.

Investigators found eight other children and handicapped adults, ranging in age from 15 to 27, in Leekin's home. All had scars on their wrists, and some had burns.

None appeared to have more than a fourth-grade education, not even the adults in their 20s. They told authorities they had never seen a doctor or a dentist and all were near starvation, police said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I think it's kind of ironic that a guy named Axxman is known for using a chainsaw.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning!
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.13.13 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is so friggin sad. I hope she gets put away for the rest of her life.

Many years ago, in NYC, my aunt and uncle (who could not have their own children due to medical reasons) tried to adopt and were refused because they practiced two different faiths. "The state" thought that it would be too difficult for a child to live that way. My aunt and uncle are two of the kindest and most loving people you will every meet.

My uncle, now approaching 80 and childless, is dying with only his wife by his side. When he dies, she will be alone. They were robbed the opportunity of having children and grandchildren because of a very poor error in judgement.

When I read stuff like this I want to cry.
    "The spirit can not be contempt. The spirit can not be sour and angry" - DLR on The NEW Van Halen

"Shutthefuckupity" - DIF on John Cusack.

"Baby, where'd you sleep last night?
    Your hair is all tangled
    and you ain't walking right." - Robert Johnson

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

This is sad and disgusting at the same time. And that pic looks plain scary! Those poor foster kids.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

That's totally messed up.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Thats fucked up. By her pic she looks like Bitch

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

She looks mean!!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dunno,I looked at the pic and assumed at first that it was a dude.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by =VH=316 View Post
    I dunno,I looked at the pic and assumed at first that it was a dude.
    same here....

WTF? assholes like this can adopt, no problem whatsoever, yet a couple who can't have kids for one reason or another, wait years and sometimes get denied to adopt? things like this makes me think we have morons in high spots (oh wait, we do.)
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you don’t have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Don’t forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

I'm not really shocked at all. People fucking the goverment system are all over the place. This one, along with the others that tend elderly, fucking make me sick. Karma...holler when you feel like it. Out.
    Last edited by track 5; 08.01.07 at 09:53 PM. Reason: I said children like twice n' shit.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.