Thread: Mexican Coke

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Default Mexican Coke

I think they were in Walmart and I just bought one becaue it was in a glass bottle. I later bought one in Seattle while I was on vacation and looked closer and realized that it was better for a reason... It was the sugar... Anyone who is a Coke fiend has to try this stuff! I bought it when I saw it at Costco the other day and my brother loved it and BC said his Turkey and Coke never tasted better...

Anyways, here's the story...

If you like the Real Thing better made with real sugar and you happen to live near a Costco, you'll be happy to know that they're selling Mexican Coke: $17.99 for a case of 24 twelve ounce bottles, which comes out to 75c each. How'd Costco manage that, you ask? According to SFist, they've "conformed to CA and U.S. rules, such as CRV (the sort-of deposit you pay for the bottle) and "nutrition" labeling, so everything appears to be nice and legal."

Coca-Cola Corporate in Atlanta says there is "no perceptible taste difference" between Mexican Coke made with real sugar and US Coke made with high-fructose corn syrup, but as anyone who's ever had the two can tell you, that's wishful thinking—drinks made with real sugar have a clean sweetness and light mouthfeel to them, while those made with corn syrup have heavy mouthfeel and a cloying sweetness.

Don't believe me? A commenter on Jason Perlow's post on Passover Coke (made in the US with real sugar for the holiday) said he'd brought back real sugar Coke from Nicaragua and did blind taste tests with friends and family: "We used purified ice, cold bottle cokes with Sugar & HFCS and a rinse of purified water between taste. EVERYONE - to a person - can taste a difference and all prefer the sugar! Nearly half of the people were very sceptical, and said it was in our heads. They said “I remember that taste”, and “WOW, that IS better!”
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I think they were in Walmart and I just bought one becaue it was in a glass bottle. I later bought one in Seattle while I was on vacation and looked closer and realized that it was better for a reason... It was the sugar... Anyone who is a Coke fiend has to try this stuff! I bought it when I saw it at Costco the other day and my brother loved it and BC said his Turkey and Coke never tasted better...

Anyways, here's the story...

If you like the Real Thing better made with real sugar and you happen to live near a Costco, you'll be happy to know that they're selling Mexican Coke: $17.99 for a case of 24 twelve ounce bottles, which comes out to 75c each. How'd Costco manage that, you ask? According to SFist, they've "conformed to CA and U.S. rules, such as CRV (the sort-of deposit you pay for the bottle) and "nutrition" labeling, so everything appears to be nice and legal."

Coca-Cola Corporate in Atlanta says there is "no perceptible taste difference" between Mexican Coke made with real sugar and US Coke made with high-fructose corn syrup, but as anyone who's ever had the two can tell you, that's wishful thinking—drinks made with real sugar have a clean sweetness and light mouthfeel to them, while those made with corn syrup have heavy mouthfeel and a cloying sweetness.

Don't believe me? A commenter on Jason Perlow's post on Passover Coke (made in the US with real sugar for the holiday) said he'd brought back real sugar Coke from Nicaragua and did blind taste tests with friends and family: "We used purified ice, cold bottle cokes with Sugar & HFCS and a rinse of purified water between taste. EVERYONE - to a person - can taste a difference and all prefer the sugar! Nearly half of the people were very sceptical, and said it was in our heads. They said “I remember that taste”, and “WOW, that IS better!”
    Yep, there are a hand full of REAL Mexican food shacks around here that have these in their coolers. Out.
    Last edited by track 5; 07.26.07 at 10:49 PM. Reason: are is an important word.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Yep, the stuff with real sugar is great! I got loads of the Kosher for Passover Coke at Schnucks this year.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Mega Foods in Tumwater was selling MexiCoke by the single bottle a few months back when they expanded their Mexican food section. I bought a few bottles, then one day it stopped. I asked them why, and they said the local Coca-Cola bottler was NOT happy and actually threatened to discontinue selling the US high fructose corn poison products.

As far as Coca-Cola Inc. claiming there's no difference between sugar and High Fructose Corn Poison, they know better. Because they make real Coke every spring. Seems that grain based sweeteners are not Kosher for Passover, so a group of rabbis lobbied the Coke head offices until they agreed to produce a sugar cane based "Kosher Coke" which goes on sale about a month before Passover every year.

Of course this product's distribution is heavily slanted to markets with a higher Jewish population, and as Olympia still only has one synagogue that I'm aware of, I guess we don't qualify. I'm not Jewish, but that's one Kosher rule I could keep 365 days a year. I rarely drink soda at all anymore, but it's either MexiCoke or Jones (now completely cane sugar based) if I do. Or the Kosher Coke, if I ever find it.

However, with corn prices rising, due to the sudden increase in ethanol and biodiesel, Coke has actually considered switching back to sugar. They would probably gain back a lot of customers if they did. I'd never go through a 6 pack a day again like I used to, but I'd certainly keep some in the fridge.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Poundcake
    Last Online

01.12.10 @ 01:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And I thought this was a thread about drugs.....

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Me too.
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

FORD, the Costco at Hawks Prairie has the Mexican Coke, well, at least they did last Sunday... It was 18 bucks for a 24 pack... Great deal at 75 cents a pop...

BTW, this is a thread about drugs... After you have the Mexican Coke, you'll be hooked and won't want American Coke again...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I love them all!!!!
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the dr peeper with sugar cane. I order it from the dr peeper company in Dublin Texas. Heres the link if anyone wants to take a look!!

http://www.olddocs.com/results.aspx?...cat1=Dr+Pepper

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

yes it's the sugar, it tastes way better than the american Coke.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

In addition to the sugar, I think drinking the stuff straight from a cold glass bottle beats the can/plastic coke taste. I was pissed when they went away from the glass bottles in the eighties. Looks like I'm off to Costco.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

When did Coca-Cola switch from sugar in the first place? Was it during the Coke-New Coke-Classic Coke era, or at a different time. I hope FORD is right about them switching back, though.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    In addition to the sugar, I think drinking the stuff straight from a cold glass bottle beats the can/plastic coke taste. I was pissed when they went away from the glass bottles in the eighties. Looks like I'm off to Costco.
    yep - miss the glass bottles. Was getting 'em for awhile when I lived in Delaware ('89), but haven't seen 'em since.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I miss the bottles as well.

And I thought this was a drug cartel thread or something.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

I can't drink Coke from a plastic bottle, has to be from a can.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I was referring to the glass bottles, the ones that look like my glasses.

And yep, it's gotta be can or glass for me. It's excellent with pizza!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One