Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 773 Times in 309 Posts

Default U.S. must pay $101M to wrongly imprisoned men

Men framed by FBI, jailed for years, to get millions

BOSTON -- Two Boston men who served 30 years in prison for a murder they had nothing to do with won a $100 million settlement Thursday from the federal government because the FBI covered up evidence that proved their innocence.

Peter Limone, left, and Joseph Salvati spent decades in prison for a crime they did not commit.

A federal district judge ruled that Peter Limone, 73, and Joseph Salvati, 75, as well as the families of two other men who died in prison, should be awarded a $101.7 million settlement, saying the FBI helped to frame the men in the 1965 murder of Edward "Teddy" Deegan in order to protect mob informant and hitman Joseph "The Animal" Barboza

The judge made it crystal clear that these men were collateral damage in the FBI's war on crime," Limone's attorney said after the ruling, praising U.S. District Judge Nancy Gertner's decision.

Gertner called the government's argument that the FBI had no duty to get involved in the state case "absurd."

"No lost liberty is dispensable. We have fought wars over this principle. We are still fighting these wars," Gertner told the packed courtroom.

"I feel very bitter for what they did because they withheld information ... and I've always told my children I was innocent of this crime," Limone said outside the courthouse.

Asked if he was satisfied at the judgment, Limone said it will enable him to finally help his children, who he was unable to see grow up but, he said, in the long run, it's not adequate compensation for a lost life.

"They could never give me back what I lost. All the money in the world wouldn't give me 33 years," Limone said.

"Do I want the money? Yes, I want my children, my grandchildren to have things I didn't have, but nothing can compensate for what they've done," Salvati said.

Salvati and Limone were freed from prison in 2001 after FBI memos surfaced that proved their innocence.

The memos became public during a Justice Department probe of the FBI's relationship with gangsters and FBI informants James "Whitey" Bulger and Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, who was involved in Deegan's murder. Evidence showed Barboza framed the four men in an effort to protect Flemmi.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

04.22.16 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now let's see the same thing happen in the Leonard Peltier case. Maybe if a few more such settlements were paid out, the FBI would only prosecute criminals.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Howard Dean for President 2012. YEEEAAARRRGGGHHH!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 02:17 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Hey that'd be kewl if they'd finally free Peltier. Of course it won't happen but it's nice to think about him having freedom again.

Makes you wonder what else the FBI has covered up doesn't it? Now the government's gotta fork out a lotta dough to pay for their mistake. That's a lot of years missed, a lot of living.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

10.12.16 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 248 Times in 89 Posts

What a horrible story. Can you even imagine? Props to whoever brought the cover up to light regardless of what agency it discredits. It can't make it right, but it was the right thing to do.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen