Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default VHI off the floor Clone

I have plans to build as exact a clone as I can of the original Black/White VH guitar. I've done one, but it was upgraded with a Floyd. Before I even get ready to start I have a few questions that maybe the masses can answer.
    First... Ed said he didn't know how to wire up the switch and neck position pickup so according to this picture

he had 3 pickups in it early on. When he put the black pickguard on it and it was humbucker only what was in the other pickup cavities? The single coil at the neck is too tall to fit under the pickguard so were they completely empty?
    Second... Does anyone know how much the body actually weighs?
    Do you really think the truss rod will effect tone? I can use either a vintage style single or a double action rod; the original had a vintage rod of course.
    Is there a larger sustain block on the Fender Tremolo that he had on it?
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This guitar has a Tele pickup in the middle. The neck is pickup is too tall? Why? It's just a regular single coil, that's the one he painted red, it's still there on the Frankenstrat. None of them are wired up anyway, only the humbucker.

I honestly don't think the truss rod has any effect on tone.

The sustain block he had came from either a 61 or 62 Fender, just a regular one I guess.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is the version I'm doing.

I'm just wondering what's under the pickguard. Did he have the 3-way switch under there because he didn't wire it back up when he went to the single humbucker? Also, the edge roundover in this picture looks heavier than a standard 3/8" roundover. Anybody have any info on this?
    Divebomb, Inc.
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

there was no pick up switch under there.

look at the pictures from the vh2 tour when he first painted the red on top. he had two pick ups in it and a smaller piece of plastic covering the volume knob cavity and the necks headstock was painted black...

later he stuck the selector switch in the middle slot and changed the neck.
    Last edited by Rick S; 07.24.07 at 11:05 AM.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

By the time he put the humbucker in there, he knew he only wanted that. Therefor he cut the black pick guard and layed the parts around. When he took off the entire pick guard to cut it down, I imagine he put the pickups back in. Remember a couple of things I just read. First Ed said he always had trouble dialing in both the neck and the bridge pickup. Based on that and the fact he had trouble wiring it he went with just the humbucker. That left him with the selecter switch and the other pickup. We know what he did from there.

As for the truss rod, this will have no effect on tone. Do what you prefer.

Remember another thing I recently read from an old article by Ed on his gear. He was always trying to throw people off as to what his guitar did or didn't do so the locals couldn't copy it. He was very coy for many years regarding this until recently in the Guitar world issue that has that horrible picture of him on the cover where he talks in detail about the Frankenstrat and it's new Fender replica's.

Finally, as a builder-replica maker, why are your kit prices so much higher than everyone else? Considering the materials are mostly apples to apples comparisons? I went to your site and found all the info. You do however do good work and I'm impressed. However the huge price differential needs explanation as a potential buyer of your products. $900 for a kit? I am not attacking you, hey everyone deserves to turn a profit, but am very curious?

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for the info.

My complete kit includes the Body, Neck, Original Floyd Rose, Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 78 EVH, Schaller Tuners, Pickguard, 500k Pot, 1971 Quarter, Output Jack and Plate, Strap Eyelets, Red Single Coil Pickup, 3-way Switch, and a Neckplate. I think that's a pretty good price for what you're getting. The Body and Neck kit is only $365 shipped in the US and that a fair price too.
    I've looked around and you're not going to find those parts on anyone elses kit. If I put together a kit with noname parts instead of using the parts that are on the original I could bring the price down, but I'd rather sell a few bad-ass kits than a bunch of Squire Mods. I hope it's easy to see that I want to be as accurate as possible and offer the best possible quality. Hope that doesn't sound like a commercial.

I'm working on a drawing of the pickup cavity and I'll post my theory ASAP.
    Divebomb, Inc.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Okay, assuming that the original routing for pickups was standard and I think it was because everything fits when I layer images of the current Frankenstein and standard 3 single coil Strat routings.
    In my picture here I show the original Strat routing in red, the green is what Ed did to install a humbucker and the blue was done so he could fit the 3-way switch in there. So according to this the green bridge cavity and the original middle and neck position cavs should be what's under the pickguard on a VHI. I think the wide channel between the bridge and middle cavs happened when he chiseled out the middle cav for the switch. It probably ended up that wide by accident... Discuss...
    Divebomb, Inc.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Under the pickguard of the VHI
    This is what I can figure out.
    This is the new one I finished this morning.
    Divebomb, Inc.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    Thanks for the info.

My complete kit includes the Body, Neck, Original Floyd Rose, Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 78 EVH, Schaller Tuners, Pickguard, 500k Pot, 1971 Quarter, Output Jack and Plate, Strap Eyelets, Red Single Coil Pickup, 3-way Switch, and a Neckplate. I think that's a pretty good price for what you're getting. The Body and Neck kit is only $365 shipped in the US and that a fair price too.
    I've looked around and you're not going to find those parts on anyone elses kit. If I put together a kit with noname parts instead of using the parts that are on the original I could bring the price down, but I'd rather sell a few bad-ass kits than a bunch of Squire Mods. I hope it's easy to see that I want to be as accurate as possible and offer the best possible quality. Hope that doesn't sound like a commercial.

I'm working on a drawing of the pickup cavity and I'll post my theory ASAP.
    As usual, I am the dumbass! I never took a close enough look to see that you sell just the body and neck for $365. Not bad. I also see why the price in the complete kit is at that price based on the excellent hardware/pickup etc. I stand corrected and you now may carry on...!!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Great! I'm glad all questions were answered and everyone is in the "know" now. Don't worry... I'm a dumbass on a daily basis too.
    Divebomb, Inc.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I actually taped for the small stripes on this one because I decided I wanted them to last. I think Ed would have done the same had he thought ahead. I have some touch-ups to do, but the body is pretty done. I cut the pickguard out with scissors and took the edge off with an old soldering iron and countersunk the holes with it too. It actually looks good. I was leary, but it looks pretty rough and authentic.

Divebomb, Inc.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Little test fit
    Divebomb, Inc.

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lookin good dude!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Looks good, but I remember Rols bringing up the question about ash bodies. Ed always claimed it was ash, but when you look at the texture your guitar the grain is really deep which is typical of ash. But Ed's always looked smooth. Plus weren't most Strat bodies made of alder? Ed's future guitars were all pretty much basswood bodies. I don't know. I'm not an expert on guitar woods, but it wouldn't be unlike Ed to just throw a curve so all the copiers were using the wrong materials.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I won't argue with you too much on that. I've often thought the same thing. Look at this picture of Ed playing a Strat. Look at the scratch or chunk rather on the lower horn. Same as can be easily seen on the VHI and it still show after he added the red. I'd be willing to bet that Strat is made of Alder. It's always been Psy Ops where Ed is concerned so question everything right?
    Last edited by DivebombInc; 07.27.07 at 04:29 AM.
    Divebomb, Inc.