Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 'Welcome Mat' for Illegals

Oh Connecticut what are you doing....

NEW HAVEN, Conn.

This city is becoming the first in the nation to offer identification cards to illegal immigrants, trying to bring them out of the shadows even as many municipalities crack down on them.

Beginning Tuesday, New Haven will offer the ID cards to all of its 125,000 residents, including some 10,000 to 12,000 illegal immigrants.

The cards will allow immigrants to open bank accounts and use other services that may be unavailable without driver's licenses or state-issued IDs. If they can open bank accounts, immigrants will be less likely to carry large amounts of cash, a practice that makes them easy targets for robbers.

City officials say the cards will also encourage immigrants who are crime victims or witnesses to cooperate with police.

"The simple straightforward purpose here is to build a stronger community," Mayor John DeStefano said Monday. "You can't police a community of people who won't talk to our cops."

Opponents say the cards will encourage more illegal immigration.

"It's going to be a welcome mat for illegal aliens to come to the region, flood the labor market and dry up working-class and middle-class jobs," said Bill Farrel, coordinator of the Southern Connecticut Immigration reform.

DeStefano said that wasn't true.

"Work draws it, not a piece of plastic," the mayor said.

He said the federal government has failed to address immigration-related issues, forcing cities to find ways to manage them.

The ID cards stand in contrast to new laws or proposals in more than 90 cities or counties around the nation prohibiting landlords from leasing to illegal immigrants, penalizing businesses that employ them or training police to enforce immigration laws.

New Haven already offers federal tax help to immigrants and prohibits police from asking about their immigration status. The new ID cards cost $5 for children and $10 for adults.

Days after city officials approved the program, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents conducted raids that led to about 30 arrests. City officials said the raids appeared to be retaliatory, but ICE officials have said the raids had nothing to do with the city's approval of the ID program.

They would not comment on the prospects of more raids.

"ICE is mandated by Congress to enforce a wide range of immigration and customs laws and we will continue to enforce those laws in Connecticut and throughout the U.S.," the agency said in a statement.

DeStefano acknowledged that some immigrants may be reluctant to apply for an ID card because of the raids, but predicted most will still seek the ID cards.

Junta For Progressive Action, an advocacy group for Latinos, quickly ran out of 50 applications for the cards on Friday, executive director Sarahi Almonte said.

"The benefits outweigh the risks," she said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Way to go CT. This will solve all the problems in New Haven!!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I hope this is nothing more than one big mouse trap. Scoop 'em all up and ship their asses right out of the country.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.22.07 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We need to drop a bomb on CT. Die liberals die!!!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by osolomeo View Post
    We need to drop a bomb on CT. Die liberals die!!!
    Uh, hold on a second there, Mr. Bush.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Uh, hold on a second there, Mr. Bush.
    Seriously, F New Haven for doing that. When are Americans going to stand up to states doing this kind of shit? You can't legitimize ILLEGAL immigrants, you need to put a boot in their ass.

Last Online

Seriously, F New Haven for doing that. When are Americans going to stand up to states doing this kind of shit? You can't legitimize ILLEGAL immigrants, you need to put a boot in their ass.
    Impressive. You want to drop a bomb on one of the states in our great nation which would kill, not only the liberals that you so enthusiastically want killed, but the rest of the citizens inhabiting CT, and yet you politely refrain from spelling out the word "Fuck."

Seriously though, in response to your post, when do Americans 'stand up' for anything??

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Impressive. You want to drop a bomb on one of the states in our great nation which would kill, not only the liberals that you so enthusiastically want killed, but the rest of the citizens inhabiting CT, and yet you politely refrain from spelling out the word "Fuck."

Seriously though, in response to your post, when do Americans 'stand up' for anything??
    They don't stand up and that is the problem. You can probably tell that I am pretty hyper sensitive on the matter of illegal immigrants, right?

Last Online

They don't stand up and that is the problem. You can probably tell that I am pretty hyper sensitive on the matter of illegal immigrants, right?
    Didn't notice...

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

As a foreigner who looked into trying to get a green card over there, the red tape is immense and I have no chance. I can understand the feelings you all have though.. it's the same over here.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 970 Times in 390 Posts

peep it out bro

grew up in new haven. used to be a nice place back in the 70's n shit. don't know what you know about the place, but new haven has had many a problem long before the illegals came there. parts of new haven are absolute slums, some real fuckin scary n shitty places there

you also mentioned the state should take care of it. umm...the government needs to regulate who comes in and who doesn't. unfortunately, the problem is out of control now. you either issue id cards, or let illegals run around the cities, since the government keeps letting people in.

they even have billboards in puerto rico that say if you want welfare go to new haven connecticut

blame your government

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    peep it out bro

grew up in new haven. used to be a nice place back in the 70's n shit. don't know what you know about the place, but new haven has had many a problem long before the illegals came there. parts of new haven are absolute slums, some real fuckin scary n shitty places there

you also mentioned the state should take care of it. umm...the government needs to regulate who comes in and who doesn't. unfortunately, the problem is out of control now. you either issue id cards, or let illegals run around the cities, since the government keeps letting people in.

they even have billboards in puerto rico that say if you want welfare go to new haven connecticut

blame your government
    I do blame our government and I want everyone in a America to start making their lives here living hell. These people are screwing us hard every time they get paid and every American should have a problem with that, liberal or conservative.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.19.07 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    As a foreigner who looked into trying to get a green card over there, the red tape is immense and I have no chance. I can understand the feelings you all have though.. it's the same over here.
    Red tape??? heh heh, theyve moved my wife on to the purple roll. My wife is an immigrant and has been trying to get her green card since 1996 and still nothing. Hell she even had to sit out of work last year for six months because of their (the INS) fuck-up. Did we get any compensation......fuck no. We had to pay more, not to mention the drop everything trips all over the South to sit in a waiting room for 2 hours, then be told that we had to go somewhere else upon leaving the meeting in question.

What pisses me off most about this whole immigration situation is the fact that we're basically giving illegals a free pass to whatever they want, while those who play by the rules are bent over and fucked up the ass without KY or the common courtesy of a reach a round.
    Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied with drink. -Mark Twain

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by senorbeavis View Post
    Red tape??? heh heh, theyve moved my wife on to the purple roll. My wife is an immigrant and has been trying to get her green card since 1996 and still nothing. Hell she even had to sit out of work last year for six months because of their (the INS) fuck-up. Did we get any compensation......fuck no. We had to pay more, not to mention the drop everything trips all over the South to sit in a waiting room for 2 hours, then be told that we had to go somewhere else upon leaving the meeting in question.

What pisses me off most about this whole immigration situation is the fact that we're basically giving illegals a free pass to whatever they want, while those who play by the rules are bent over and fucked up the ass without KY or the common courtesy of a reach a round.
    Amen to that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There's no such thing as an illegal immigrant. There are immigrants, and there are illegal aliens.

North Carolina's just as bad. Unless they've changed it, it's very easy to get a driver's license, and they know it; we're a destination state for immigrants from Mexico. Now we're allowing the children of illegals to qualify for in-state resident status on their college tuition. Meanwhile, some NC high school valedictorians can't get into UNC-Chapel Hill because there are so many students from "up north" attending, and paying out-of-state tuition.

Don't get me started on food processing plants shutting down periodically because of the labor protests, wherein these criminals demonstrate for their "rights".

I'm not saying we should go on a witchhunt and start breaking up families and shit. But I do believe that sometimes we're benevolent to a fault here in the US of A.