Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Jason Bonham vs. Wolfgang Van Halen

I'm surprised no one's yet brought this up.

Jason was brought up under very similar circumstances as Wolfgang regarding being around a major hard rock band and being in on the recording and touring process starting at a very yound age. He was playing drums with Led Zep during soundchecks and was even briefly shown playing drums as young as 4 or 5 years old in the LZ concert film "The Song Remains The Same."

Clearly he was being groomed by his father to follow in his footsteps in much the same way Edward has groomed Wolfgang. Whether he'd even wind up playing in Led Zep in some capacity was a moot point once John died, but it is noteworthy that Jason did play with the others during the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party as well as Jimmy Page's '88 solo tour. Perhaps the biggest difference between his and Wolfgang's upbringing so far was the fact that Jason *did* put together several bands on his own once he was in his late teens ebfore ever playing in any encarnation of Led Zepellin or with the individual members.

That said, I wonder how LZ fans would have reacted if Jason was brought on as say, a 2nd drummer during the '80's is John never died. Further, I wonder what people's opinion of Jason possibly replacing his dad in the constantly rumored LZ reunions with the other 3 surviving members.

Discuss with extreme predjudice.

T.B.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post

Jason was brought up under very similar circumstances as Wolfgang regarding being around a major hard rock band and being in on the recording and touring process starting at a very yound age. He was playing drums with Led Zep during soundchecks and was even briefly shown playing drums as young as 4 or 5 years old in the LZ concert film "The Song Remains The Same."

Clearly he was being groomed by his father to follow in his footsteps in much the same way Edward has groomed Wolfgang. Whether he'd even wind up playing in Led Zep in some capacity was a moot point once John died, but it is noteworthy that Jason did play with the others during the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary party as well as Jimmy Page's '88 solo tour. Perhaps the biggest difference between his and Wolfgang's upbringing so far was the fact that Jason *did* put together several bands on his own once he was in his late teens ebfore ever playing in any encarnation of Led Zepellin or with the individual members.

That said, I wonder how LZ fans would have reacted if Jason was brought on as say, a 2nd drummer during the '80's is John never died. Further, I wonder what people's opinion of Jason possibly replacing his dad in the constantly rumored LZ reunions with the other 3 surviving members.

T.B.
    Well, I'd welcome Jason with open arms if the three ever did a reunion, but thats a different scenario. John Bonham died, so naturally the best replacement would be his flesh & blood.

Mike's still alive and well. Now, if John were alive, would I welcome Jason? Probably, but that would be like Wolfgang replacing Ed, essentially. Replacing a blood relative. Of course John would agree to it completely if that were to happen, as Ed would too if that ever happened in VH camp.

Just my two cents, though.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

T.B.
    There's really not a parallel. If John Bonham had lived and they swapped out JPJ for a 16 year old Jason, then you'd have a parallel.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never had a problem with Jason replacing his dad those or upcoming shows. I know he could play pretty good & was playing in bands prior.

Wolfie has not shown us anything and hopefully he is not the product of a "proud pappa"(& uncle) who thinks the kid is better than he truely is. Hopefully he does come out & truely blow us away with his bass because most all of us were happy with what they had in M.A. ..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Beats Workin'
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A big prejudice I have is that I have seen what Jason Bonham can do. I know he is a capable player. I can't say the same for Wolfgang, because I've never seen him or heard him play anything.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jason may have been groomed, by his father, to play the drums, but I don't think that John ever expected him to play with Led Zeppelin. Jason took the lessons learned and formed his own group, Bonham. They did not play Led Zeppelin songs and were very much their own entity.

But Jason obviously learned the LZ songs from his father and it seems like a natural progression that, when a drummer is needed for special occasions, Jason would be called upon to fill in. He is not making his living off LZ.
    If anything it's the fans who are expecting Jason to fill in if a tour ever ignites.

Wolfgang may have been taught Van Halen songs, but, thus far, has shown no interest in creating music on his own.

That's the difference.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

here's where some of you guys lose me

i understand never hearing wolf can make people say, fuck that i don't wanna see or hear him in the band. however, if the kid was known to be able to play well, it'd be ok if he replaced mike?

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

i understand never hearing wolf can make people say, fuck that i don't wanna see or hear him in the band. however, if the kid was known to be able to play well, it'd be ok if he replaced mike?
    Here, here.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not at the tender age of 16, with no experience under his belt, and after he has already said he's not ready to do it.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    Not at the tender age of 16, with no experience under his belt, and after he has already said he's not ready to do it.
    i understand that

that is not what i asked

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

Donor

There are two issues with the Wolfie/Mike swap.

The first issue is that it appears that Mike was forced from the band. A lot of fans don't view that in a positive light, particularly coming at a time when a CVH reunion finally seemed to be possible.

The second issue is that he's being replaced with a 16 year old of unknown abilities.

If it were known that Wolfie was really good, it would satisfy the second issue, but the first one would still remain.

Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think what some people have a problem with as of now is the fact Wolfgang is still a minor with virtually no stage experience, especially on bass guitar. That and the fact he's replacing a beloved member of Van Halen over dodgy circumstances. At this point, I don't think it would matter much even if he was a prodigy on bass guitar, getting around the above two key points is going to dog him hard this tour.

Personally, If Jason Bonham was to replace or even augment LZ while his father was alive like say, during the "In Through The Out Door" tour, you'd have seen a similar uproar from LZ fans. From what I've read about Led Zeppelin, Jason's dad was setting him up to follow in his footsteps in some fashion and I think based on comments the other band members made watching him play at soundchecks and so on, I think if John wanted to slot Jason into LZ at some point as a 2nd drummer, the others would have probably gone along with it, especially Page who later took Jason under his wing and incorporated him in his first solo tour.

From my own POV, I have seen Jason play in his own band (Bonham) and while he was good, I can't say he was anywhere near as good as his father. It's been literally almost 2 decades since I saw Jason so I have no idea if he's since become the monster drummer his father was though.

I just find it somewhat interesting that here's two kids, sons of major rock musicians with major substance and alcohol abuse histories who were both regarded as among the best at their respective instruments and how at a certain point, one kid went in what has basically turned out to be the right direction and the other seems headed down the wrong path as far as both developing their craft.

T.B.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    There are two issues with the Wolfie/Mike swap.

The first issue is that it appears that Mike was forced from the band. A lot of fans don't view that in a positive light, particularly coming at a time when a CVH reunion finally seemed to be possible.

The second issue is that he's being replaced with a 16 year old of unknown abilities.

If it were known that Wolfie was really good, it would satisfy the second issue, but the first one would still remain.
    hi menlow, how are ya?

i'm not talking about issues surrounding mike's ousting from the band or how fans view it. that's not what this thread is.

i just wanted an answer if wolf was known to be a good player, would it be ok for him to replace mike? i don't care about his age.

i have a feeling this next week, this board is gonna get chaotic

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think what some people have a problem with as of now is the fact Wolfgang is still a minor with virtually no stage experience, especially on bass guitar. That and the fact he's replacing a beloved member of Van Halen over dodgy circumstances. At this point, I don't think it would matter much even if he was a prodigy on bass guitar, getting around the above two key points is going to dog him hard this tour.

Personally, If Jason Bonham was to replace or even augment LZ while his father was alive like say, during the "In Through The Out Door" tour, you'd have seen a similar uproar from LZ fans. From what I've read about Led Zeppelin, Jason's dad was setting him up to follow in his footsteps in some fashion and I think based on comments the other band members made watching him play at soundchecks and so on, I think if John wanted to slot Jason into LZ at some point as a 2nd drummer, the others would have probably gone along with it, especially Page who later took Jason under his wing and incorporated him in his first solo tour.

From my own POV, I have seen Jason play in his own band (Bonham) and while he was good, I can't say he was anywhere near as good as his father. It's been literally almost 2 decades since I saw Jason so I have no idea if he's since become the monster drummer his father was though.

I just find it somewhat interesting that here's two kids, sons of major rock musicians with major substance and alcohol abuse histories who were both regarded as among the best at their respective instruments and how at a certain point, one kid went in what has basically turned out to be the right direction and the other seems headed down the wrong path as far as both developing their craft.

T.B.
    nice post

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

Donor

hi menlow, how are ya?

i'm not talking about issues surrounding mike's ousting from the band or how fans view it. that's not what this thread is.

i just wanted an answer if wolf was known to be a good player, would it be ok for him to replace mike? i don't care about his age.

i have a feeling this next week, this board is gonna get chaotic
    Doing ok, still enjoying a 71/2 game lead.

If Wolfie were an unbelievable player, had stage presence, and were confident enough and demonstrated enough poise, then that choice wouldn't be ridiculed.

He still wouldn't be Mike though.