Register
    Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.23.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

5150 Amp Help! (Original Block Letter Head)

So, I have this Peavey 5150 Block Letter Head. I bought it used a couple years back from a guy in a semi popular band up here in Canada. He said he took it in for regular checkups, but I havent done so since I've had it.

This question is for some of the amp gurus out there or maybe someone who's experienced the same thing...

Sometimes when my amp turns on there will be all this loud static noise and it slowly stops and then I play through the amp and it stays really thin and quiet and you can't turn up the volume or anything, it sounds terrible. And then when I turn it off, it goes all static again for a couple seconds and finally shuts off. Sometimes it'll be back to perfect working order if i just give the side of the amp a good tap. I've replaced the tubes twice and the same thing has happened with new tubes both times. Any idea what else the problem might be? And any ideas how much I might be looking at for repairs when I bring it in for a checkup?

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds to me like you definitely have some loose connections. It's no real big deal, I've had to deal with it myself before, just take it to a good tech and it will cost you probably $50-75. After that the amp will work flawlessly.

By the way, be careful who you take it to. When my 5150 combo was having similar problems I took it to the local "authorized" Peavey service tech and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. That cost me $40 and 3 weeks to have him check it out and find nothing, when obviously there WAS a problem. So then I drove it up to a tech in OKC, probably the most popular guy in the area for amp repair, and after a couple of days he has it fixed (loose connections). It cost me around $60, and now it works perfectly. So save yourself time and money by taking it to someone who has a good reputation in amp repair, even if it might cost you a little more.
    Last edited by bcgvh; 07.20.07 at 07:01 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.23.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, thanks dude!!

I was worried that there was going to be something majorly wrong with this amp like a blown transformer or something and I'm scared to even think about how much it would cost to track down and order a 5150 transformer. I've actually got a good guy just 30 mins away who owns a little guitar shop and worked on tour with some guitar techs from godsmack, he's a real good guy and awesome with wiring and amps. He's actually offered to take my amp a few times and make some upgrades/adjustments so I'll be taking it in sometimes this week and hopefully getting the problem fixed. I wouldn't mind spending $100 or something getting this amp to work perfectly, because I FINALLY have a tone that I like after 2 years of tinkering and I don't want to have to get a new amp.