Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Default And now for something completely different

A little break from all the tour rumors........

Jul 15, 2007 04:30 AM
    Linda Barnard
    Toronto Star

What's pink and black and leopard all over, with a charming Rude guy at the bar?

A playpen for headbangers, rock 'n' roll rebels and air guitar virtuosos, Rok Boutique is a new bar at 200 Bathurst St., north of Queen St. W., run by affable musician Johnny Rude and business partner, Dawn Simmons.

"I was inspired by a lot of the stuff in L.A., such as the Viper Room and Rainbow on Sunset," explains Rude, a soft-spoken guy with jet-black hair cascading down his back and a luxuriantly long soul patch.

Hot pink walls set off dramatic black-glass chandeliers and leopard-upholstered chairs. Mötley Crüe, KISS and Guns N' Roses sneer and leer down from framed posters.

There's a tiny dance floor, deejay booth and walled garden out back for those who like their Jägermeister shots and beer under the stars.

When not running the Rok Boutique with Simmons, Rude is busy playing drums for Salem Saints, deejaying around town, or stopping for a break at his favourite toy in the bar, the Jägermeister tap set that keeps three bottles of the herbal bitters icy cold and ready to dispense with the push of a button.

"You can't be a rock bar without a tap machine," observes Simmons. We toast the assertion with a round of Rok Boutique Freak shooters – half Jägermeister, half banana liqueur.

Jäger is the new bourbon. Let Keef still cradle his bottle of Rebel Yell, this generation rocks to a Black Forest beat. With Jägermeister sponsoring indie bands, Jägerettes and Jäger Dudes doing promo work in bars, and that metal hallmark, the umlaut, in its name, how can it not be a heavy-rock staple?

Made from 56 herbs, roots and spices, this German bitters has been around since 1935, but has found a whole new following in recent years. It's definitely an acquired taste, at once bitter and medicinal – not unlike cough syrup.

"It's a cold remedy and some super genius said, `Hey, let's bottle it,' " chuckles Rude as he sips a cocktail made of Jägermeister and cranberry at the bar.

One of the club's most popular mixed drinks is the Rok Star – a shot of Jäger dropped into a glass of energy drink. It's a Boilermaker for the new millennium.

Today's cocktail is somewhat more refined, but very true to its rock roots, mixing Jägermeister and Southern Comfort, Janis Joplin's drink of choice. And it's named for a song by one of the vanguards of bass-rattling rock, Van Halen.

Running With the Devil

Star Tested

Fresh ice
    1 oz. Jägermeister
    1 oz. Southern Comfort
    2 oz. cranberry juice

PREPARATION: Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain into a chilled martini glass or rocks glass. Makes 1 drink.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'll have to go for a few there....

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    Running With the Devil

Star Tested

Fresh ice
    1 oz. Jägermeister
    1 oz. Southern Comfort
    2 oz. cranberry juice

PREPARATION: Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain into a chilled martini glass or rocks glass. Makes 1 drink.

I ordered one of these in a bar two years ago...
    ...and I'm still waiting for it.
    The bartender announced, loudly, that he was going to make it, but then he got in a fight with one of the waitresses and fired her.
    (Actually, he says she quit but she says she was fired.)
    Then, he found out that another waitress had a day job and he fired her, too.
    (Saying, "You can't have two jobs".)
    Then he told me that he was going to make my drink and it was going to be the best drink I'd ever had.
    But then he went off with his new girlfriend and made some really bad drinks for her and her friends.
    Then he came back and announced that he was going to make my drink and, because he'd fired everybody else, his teen-aged son was going to wait tables. His son, apparently, was a great server even though he'd never done it professionally before.
    Then he came back to me and announced that he was really going to make my drink this time, and it was going to be the best drink I'd ever had. But first, would I be interested in buying the original drink he'd invented twenty years ago. He was only going to re-create a few of them, exactly the way he'd done it back at the start of his career, and I could buy one for $250.
    I said no.
    So, he announced that he was really going to make my drink this time and he'd hired back his original waitress who was happy to work with him and a teenage boy.
    Then I didn't see him for a while....
    Then the waitress bought me a note from the bartender announcing that he was going back to bartending school.

So I quit drinking.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The bartender announced, loudly, that he was going to make it, but then he got in a fight with one of the waitresses and fired her.
    Then he told me that he was going to make my drink and it was going to be the best drink I'd ever had.
    But then he went off with his new girlfriend and made some really bad drinks for her and her friends.
    Then he came back and announced that he was going to make my drink and, because he'd fired everybody else, his teen-aged son was going to wait tables. His son, apparently, was a great server even though he'd never done it professionally before.
    Then he came back to me and announced that he was really going to make my drink this time, and it was going to be the best drink I'd ever had. But first, would I be interested in buying the original drink he'd invented twenty years ago. He was only going to re-create a few of them, exactly the way he'd done it back at the start of his career, and I could buy one for $250.
    I said no.
    So, he announced that he was really going to make my drink this time and he'd hired back his original waitress who was happy to work with him and a teenage boy.
    Then the waitress bought me a note from the bartender announcing that he was going back to bartending school.

So I quit drinking.
    Classic!
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I said no.

So I quit drinking.
    Are you sure about that????