Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.09.09 @ 10:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Yanking out Wolfgang pickups?!

Hey guys... newbie here so please be gentle. I'm wondering if I am crazy so looking for thoughts or ideas.

Have a Wolfgang running thru VOX AD120VTX which just smokes. It's just about as hot as the 5150 but I don't like the way my wolf bridge pup sounds on any of the high gain settings. But it's not the amp. I have a 1978 Hamer Special solid mahogany with a dimarzio super distortion and a custom strat with a PAF pro and I think both sound cleaner in the low end and have better harmonics.

Before you jump on me - I have a wolf special that also sounds better. Has better tone and isn't as muddy but I LOVE the standard wolf so I wanna swap the pickups out. I've read the old threads about the old EVH sounding pickups and don't wanna start that again but any advice as to which two pickups would be better in the wolf if I'm actually looking to go for a medium output pickup and figure I need to do the neck as well?

Thanks for ideas.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

It sounds like the bottom 3 strings are an issue, so you could try DiMarzio's Virtual Hot PAF bridge pickup.

Or possibly a Duncan "hybrid" pickup. Do a search at the Duncan forums if you give a rip.

For "clarity" on the bottom strings, you're really looking at something that is under the 14k level that the Wolf pickups are at. Let alone the bassy/flubby 17k that the EBMM pickups are measured at.

A Hybrid puts you at around 11.5k

The DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF puts you at about 9.3k. Both are a less muddy option than the Wolf pickup on the bottom 3 strings.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.09.09 @ 10:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks.. I have heard a guitar tech tell me the Virtul PAF's sometimes have a weird hum but I will certainly look into it!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yeah, you'll probably much prefer finding two new pickups, bridge AND neck, that match one another in output and work well in the guitar. The Wolf neck pickup is in fact hotter than the bridge pickup, so it'll in all likelihood be massive in volume compared to a medium output pickup.