Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.22.07 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pope: Other Christians not true churches

This new Pope has some balls on him claiming Roman Catholicism is the only church of Christ:

By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 9 minutes ago

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says Orthodox churches were defective and that other Christian denominations were not true churches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Benedict approved a document from his old offices at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith that restates church teaching on relations with other Christians. It was the second time in a week the pope has corrected what he says are erroneous interpretations of the Second Vatican Council, the 1962-65 meetings that modernized the church.

On Saturday, Benedict revisited another key aspect of Vatican II by reviving the old Latin Mass. Traditional Catholics cheered the move, but more liberal ones called it a step back from Vatican II.

Benedict, who attended Vatican II as a young theologian, has long complained about what he considers the erroneous interpretation of the council by liberals, saying it was not a break from the past but rather a renewal of church tradition.

In the latest document — formulated as five questions and answers — the Vatican seeks to set the record straight on Vatican II's ecumenical intent, saying some contemporary theological interpretation had been "erroneous or ambiguous" and had prompted confusion and doubt.

It restates key sections of a 2000 document the pope wrote when he was prefect of the congregation, "Dominus Iesus," which set off a firestorm of criticism among Protestant and other Christian denominations because it said they were not true churches but merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the "means of salvation."

In the new document and an accompanying commentary, which were released as the pope vacations here in Italy's Dolomite mountains, the Vatican repeated that position.

"Christ 'established here on earth' only one church," the document said. The other communities "cannot be called 'churches' in the proper sense" because they do not have apostolic succession — the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ's original apostles.

The Rev. Sara MacVane of the Anglican Centre in Rome, said there was nothing new in the document.

"I don't know what motivated it at this time," she said. "But it's important always to point out that there's the official position and there's the huge amount of friendship and fellowship and worshipping together that goes on at all levels, certainly between Anglican and Catholics and all the other groups and Catholics."

The document said Orthodox churches were indeed "churches" because they have apostolic succession and that they enjoyed "many elements of sanctification and of truth." But it said they lack something because they do not recognize the primacy of the pope — a defect, or a "wound" that harmed them, it said.

"This is obviously not compatible with the doctrine of primacy which, according to the Catholic faith, is an 'internal constitutive principle' of the very existence of a particular church," the commentary said.

Despite the harsh tone of the document, it stresses that Benedict remains committed to ecumenical dialogue.

"However, if such dialogue is to be truly constructive, it must involve not just the mutual openness of the participants but also fidelity to the identity of the Catholic faith," the commentary said.

The document, signed by the congregation prefect, U.S. Cardinal William Levada, was approved by Benedict on June 29, the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul — a major ecumenical feast day.

There was no indication about why the pope felt it necessary to release the document, particularly since his 2000 document summed up the same principles. Some analysts suggested it could be a question of internal church politics, or that it could simply be an indication of Benedict using his office as pope to again stress key doctrinal issues from his time at the congregation.

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats nothing new, thats been a part of catholic teaching ever since the reformation.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar08man View Post
    thats nothing new, thats been a part of catholic teaching ever since the reformation.
    Just haven't heard that or seen it printed ever before. But that is ok, Evangelicals think Catholics as a whole are a sham with their rituals and idol worship, and Pentecostals (sp?) think EVERYONE is going to Hades.
    I wonder why I was actually surpised to hear that from a man that goes around dressed like a gothic pimp all day?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I think the word Catholic actually means "universal".

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

that's right.... keep going...

what fucking year is it?
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's been posted here that Religion is the enemy of Christ. This further enforces that ideology.

Being a Lutheran myself, I really don't put much stock into what the pope says or that we should be glorifying any one person or holding them up to be any better than anyone else. That being said, the Lutheran bus certainly gets people to Heaven the quickest

The rhetoric being bantered about by most denominations does not seem to fall within the teachings of Christ in my opinion, but then again, I'm full of sin and not very wise.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Catholics, need we say more?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Officially, of course, that's always been the position of the Catholic Church.

But Ratzinger should know better than to say such a thing in public. It only makes him look more like the Opus Dei fascist he is, and the Nazi he was rumored to be in his youth.

Hope the Catholics pick someone who knows what century it is, when this guy kicks the bucket.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the words of George Carlin, " I was a catholic until I reached the age of...enlightenment."
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    In the words of George Carlin, " I was a catholic until I reached the age of...enlightenment."
    Me too. I have run into to very few of my childhood friends that are still Roman Catholic or even Catholic for that matter and a lot of them are very bitter about it. I wonder why?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by osolomeo View Post
    Me too. I have run into to very few of my childhood friends that are still Roman Catholic or even Catholic for that matter and a lot of them are very bitter about it. I wonder why?
    Getting buttfucked by their priest as a child might have something to do with it.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.03.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kinda funny...with all this Catholic bashing, you would think one of these classless, filthy, ignorant Catholics would come in and sling equally as distasteful comments towards you guys.

Maybe that says more about the Catholics here than what all of you had to say about them.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 6,701 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JCJanko View Post
    Kinda funny...with all this Catholic bashing, you would think one of these classless, filthy, ignorant Catholics would come in and sling equally as distasteful comments towards you guys.

Maybe that says more about the Catholics here than what all of you had to say about them.
    i think you hit the nail on the head with that comment

regards,
    one of those classless, filthy, ignorant Catholics

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ford is your real name Dan Brown? If so that Da Vinci Code good read man I just could not put it down. LOL

No seriously I am not Catholic my wife is, I watch Mass of the air every Sunday I enjoy it. Catholic dose mean universal, and the first Catholic Church was built over the grave of Peter. Whom Jesus said was the Rock he would build his church on, but the Gentile where first called Christians at Antioch. That is the origins of my faith PBU.

Not trying to flame or bait anyone.
    Last edited by Stiil_A_Fan; 07.10.07 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I missed a capital letter on Catholic

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Geez, no doubt. Guys/gals, try to keep in mind that it's one of the worlds largest religions and there could possibly be a *chance* that there's a few posters here that are of the faith. I'm not censoring, but damn, weigh your words a little will ya?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen