Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.24.11 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Questions about Van Halen (on the) Radio

I'm sure that most of you have special memories of catching mighty VH on the radio. I was thinking about some of my own favorite moments last night and I had a few questions pop up...

1) Let's say Ed, Dave, and Co. actually do grace us with a few new tunes...Where Oh Where would a MWM-esque tune find favor on the airwaves? I can only think of 1 station here in the DFW area that might squeeze in some new VH. I can't see VH landing on Country, Crap-from-the-80s-90s-and-today, Tejano, Rap, or even the "Edge"ier (angst driven) stations. Maybe the oldies plays a couple of VH, uh, oldies and sticks the new tune at the end?

2) This question is for the yutes of the board...does anyone listen to the radio anymore anyway? I know my ipod killed the radio star (not to mention I'm not a big fan of the above listed formats), honestly, does anyone in your (key demo) generation even care what the DJ is playing?

3) And, if the mods will indulge, do you mind sharing your favorite VH radio memory? I met my (then future) wife the summer "Finish What Ya Started" was getting continuous airplay. And the soundtrack to my freshman year in college was "Top of the World".
    I like Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a great thread, the last time I heard a significant amount of VH on the radio was right after the 2004 concert in the parking lot they where playing all the hits Sam and Dave era on WQMF it made wait for the parking lot to clear a lot more enjoyable. Other than that they don’t get much air play here in Louisville. I don’t listen to the radio much anymore just CD’s. When you do here them it’s from the Dave era but the other day actually a couple of months ago, they played Message in a bottle. It tripped me out; I thought was some thing new when I first heard it start playing. I was not in to them and overseas when that song first came out so I never really heard it before it was kind of cool.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

They get quite a bit of airplay up here still on classic rocks stations and a few others,mostly Dave era stuff....

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I love classic Rock Radio it just seems like Van Halen is ether to hard with Dave and too soft with Sam to get much air play here. I like both era now but did not always till the last few years. The other harder rock stations here I never listen to. It is all newer music and for me the music died in the 80’s with the exception of a few, the magic is just not their any more, so I never listen to it, but that is just my opinion.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I listen to my classic rock station more than anything else. They play Van Halen all the time. They have Van Halen weekends.

Top Of The World Johnny Van Halen Cash's Avatar
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Here in Wilmington, NC, the main rock station here that plays both classic rock and newer rock plays mostly, Without You, One I want, Fire in the Hole, and other classics from Van Halen III......... not!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    I listen to my classic rock station more than anything else. They play Van Halen all the time. They have Van Halen weekends.
    Well you are one of the lucky ones.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Van Halen Cash View Post
    Here in Wilmington, NC, the main rock station here that plays both classic rock and newer rock plays mostly, Without You, One I want, Fire in the Hole, and other classics from Van Halen III......... not!
    Even when those songs came out I donít remember hearing them played one time here. But I never listen to them so if they did I would not have known it was them.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stiil_A_Fan View Post
    Well you are one of the lucky ones.

Oh, it's great neighbor! When they don't have Van Halen weekends, they'll do Van Halen blocks. I counted 6 songs in a row Friday. They ask a lot of Van Halen questions for contests too.

They also had a whole page on their site of Eddie's makeover.

Top Of The World Johnny Van Halen Cash's Avatar
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Without You I heard actually quite a bit when it first came out (didnt it actually become number one on Billboard mainstream rock?), i heard Fire-in-the-Hole maybe twice ever! I can't say i ever heard One I Want (i was just making a joke )

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Here in CT the radio station I listen to is WCCC which plays a lot of classic Van Halen. They are not a classic rock station but they do play songs from the 70's 80's and 90's as well as current.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stiil_A_Fan View Post
    Even when those songs came out I donít remember hearing them played one time here. But I never listen to them so if they did I would not have known it was them.

'Fire In The Hole' was in Lethal Weapon 4.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Van Halen Cash View Post
    Without You I heard actually quite a bit when it first came out (didnt it actually become number one on Billboard mainstream rock?), i heard Fire-in-the-Hole maybe twice ever! I can't say i ever heard One I Want (i was just making a joke )
    Me too

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

New VH music will garner little to no radio airplay. A single will perhaps for a week, maybe two or three, find some DJ air time on the classic rock stations. I never even heard UFB or LTS on KLOS here in LA (and they're basically Van Halen's hometown radio), but I did hear IAT 2-3 times the first week it was released. After that, poof. Gone. And I never heard ONCE Me Wise Magic or CGTSNM when BOV1 came out. I listen to KLOS a lot, actually, daily even. Kinda grew up on it.

There's a pretty set standard list of VH music on classic rock radio (disregarding satellite - man I really need to get serious about Sirius ). Invariably DJs will play little other than RWTD, YRGM, JC, BG, DTNA, Unchained, PW, Jump, Panama, HFT from the Dave era, and WCTBL, SOTOW, Poundcake, and Right Now from the Sam era. Once in a blue moon you'll hear a deeper cut, but not often enough.

I think my favorite radio memory - maybe some of you recall, I dunno if it was just in SoCal or nationally broadcast - was when KLOS hosted the whole band in '91 and they previewed the entire album of FUCK the night before it was released. That was pretty cool, listening to the boys talk about each song, then hearing each song in its entirety, knowing Templeman had input on that one, hearing the difference in tone from the last OU812 outing. I remember hearing Judgment Day for the first time and going 'whoa...that's some rippin' Ed riffage there.'

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, I just got back from lunch and decided to turn of Best of volume 1 VH and give WQMF a listen they where digging deep Tommy Bolin “Bustin’ Out for Rosey” I love that song. Now I can't get it out of my head.