Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaco Pastorius

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Jaco Pastorius

Well, I tried the search function, failed to find the "Jaco" thread...In any event, a compilation and a killer live album are soon to be made available. Read on...

Jaco Redux
    Two new Jaco Pastorius releases hit the streets
    By Mark Keresman
    Published: June 28, 2007

A self-professed Fort Lauderdale beach bum, Jaco Pastorius (1951-87) lit the skies of modern music for a relatively short time, yet his afterglow can still be seen. Larry Graham and Stanley Clarke took electric bass to new heights, but Pastorius eclipsed them, making the electric four-stringer a lead instrument in jazz with an approach as radical as Jimi Hendrix´s was for the guitar. Whereas the bass isn´t considered a ¨chordal¨ instrument like piano or guitar, Pastorius didn´t let a little thing like that deter him he made the bass ¨sing,¨ as a guitarist or horn player could, and his influence extends beyond jazz. Bassists Sting, the Red Hot Chili Peppers´ Flea, and Metallica´s Robert Trujillo give J.P. his props.

The Essential Jaco Pastorius is a largely comprehensive double-disc overview, representing Pastorius as leader, band member, and composer/arranger. Disc one chiefly draws upon his stint with seminal fusioners Weather Report (from the albums Black Market and Heavy Weather) and his self-titled 1976 debut. Two of his collaborations with iconic singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell are also featured here. Pastorius played on three of her late-1970s albums, and it was rumored they were romantically involved. Highlights include the bass-and-drums-only take on Charlie Parker´s ¨Donna Lee¨; the moody, cinematic, and prescient ¨Kuru/Speak Like a Child¨; and ¨Talk to Me,¨ on which Pastorius´ mellifluous lines interweave sublimely with Mitchell´s voice and guitar. Disc two has more Weather Report (from Mr. Gone, Night Passage, 8:30), another Mitchell track (from Mingus), and three from Pastorius´ magnum opus, Word of Mouth. It´s great to hear the bassist´s sinewy rage alongside and under Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul on ¨Teen Town.¨ Word was J.P.´s final album, an ambitious attempt to integrate all his inspirations, including swing, funk, classical, and more in an orchestral context. By and large, though, Essential lives up to its title, whether you´re a Pastorius fan/neophyte or a devotee of electric bass or jazz fusion before its edges got smoothed over.

Trio of Doom collects complete recordings of what was thought to be a one-off 1979 Havana music festival gig by Pastorius, guitarist John McLaughlin (!), and drummer Tony Williams (!). Here, their live tracks, previously documented on Columbia´s Havana Jam collections (´79), are joined with their only studio sessions. The jammy TOD is a little rough ´n´ loose but worth it for its principals´ unreserved repartee and McLaughlin´s scorched-earth assaults.

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2007...ic/jaco-redux/
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Thanks Chef!

found this while rummaging through the ole Hatch TV vault:

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Default Jaco stuff

I've banged on about this guy enough I know but I do know that there are a few fans here of this genius.

Anyway, some bright spark took a jaco riff and some old footage and added his own hip hop overdubs to it.

I really like it and thought I'd share it with anyone who hasn't chanced upon it.

He truly was a great musician and amazing showman. I'm not going to go into the parallels with our mutually admired guitarist on these threads.... if you're interested google the guy and make up your own mind, but he even smiled the same.

Here's the mixed up vid...

and for those who might wonder why Ed has done some of the stuff he has done, ask yourself, what did Jaco's legions of fans ask themselves when they saw their hero of groove doing this....?

Unfortunately this was towards the end of the troubled guy's life. The ideas were still there. Maybe just not aimed at an audience of more than one.....

I still think he was the greatest. Hope that at least a few of you enjoy this.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

that's a very cool video...thanks for posting!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Myself being a bassist, well I am a huge Jaco fan, and maybe it is true that Lemmy is God, but Jaco is the God amongst Gods.

There is no doubt that Jaco is one of my many bass influences.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Part 5 of an enlighting and realistic view of someone battling with both demons and genius. Jaco is just one of those.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

wow...only five posts (until this one) in a thread about Jaco Fucking Pastorius...even on a site where we seem to puff up our chests about having great taste and really knowing "good" music.

oh well.

"Tracy" (I think that's how he spelled it) is still one of the finest pieces of music I've ever heard.

Funny thing, several years back a bass mag was having their annual "best bass player of the year" poll and they opened the article by saying "alright look, we all agree that Jaco is the best bass player of this or any other year so let's take him off the table." HAHAHAHA...I loved that. They actually went through the process of giving people new suggestions. They listed Geddy Lee, Les Claypool and Paul McCartney. Good stuff man...that could never happen in the guitar world.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

TWO disks! Nice! Glad it covers his whole spectrum.

Love that first Jaco P. album. It's excellent. I remember the first time I ever heard of him: I saw the transcription for "Portrait Of Tracy". I was blown away. All those odd harmonics in weird places (players, you'll know what I'm talking about)...and he was so clean when he played it.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

You can find these tracks, as well as some studio recordings of the Trio Of Doom here.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Two of his greatest moments right here. Just MINDBLOWINGINGLY good.

His solo from Joni Mitchell's Shadows & Light DVD (I HIGHLY recommend this show as Pat Metheny is the guitar player in the band, as well - GREAT show):

...and. of course, Come On, Come Over:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Two of his greatest moments right here. Just MINDBLOWINGINGLY good.

His solo from Joni Mitchell's Shadows & Light DVD (I HIGHLY recommend this show as Pat Metheny is the guitar player in the band, as well - GREAT show):

...and. of course, Come On, Come Over:

Mitchell's Shadows and Light is a fantastic concert. Jaco, Metheny and Alias are amazing throughout. I bought that disc for a friend of mine a few years back and I wish I had picked up a second copy for myself.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    Part 5 of an enlighting and realistic view of someone battling with both demons and genius. Jaco is just one of those.

The sad part about that video is the fact that until quite late in his life, Jaco was (I believe) not interested in alcohol or drugs. At all. I think he was teetotal. When his manic depression started to really take hold he started using and from there, the downhill slide was incredibly fast.

From being "THE" guy, he ended up begging on the streets, pawning his instruments and getting into all sorts of fights, the last one of which, of course, meant the end of his life.

Jaco was a sick man for a lot longer than perhaps was evident and I wonder, with the way peoples' understanding of mental illness has improved and a lot of the stigma removed, whether he might have received the help he needed before it destroyed him.

He was my generation's Charlie Parker in more ways than one, and just like Clint Eastwood did with "Bird", I would love to see the biopic about him. Warts and all, it would be a fascinating, if tragic, story.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    The sad part about that video is the fact that until quite late in his life, Jaco was (I believe) not interested in alcohol or drugs. At all. I think he was teetotal. When his manic depression started to really take hold he started using and from there, the downhill slide was incredibly fast.

From being "THE" guy, he ended up begging on the streets, pawning his instruments and getting into all sorts of fights, the last one of which, of course, meant the end of his life.

Jaco was a sick man for a lot longer than perhaps was evident and I wonder, with the way peoples' understanding of mental illness has improved and a lot of the stigma removed, whether he might have received the help he needed before it destroyed him.

He was my generation's Charlie Parker in more ways than one, and just like Clint Eastwood did with "Bird", I would love to see the biopic about him. Warts and all, it would be a fascinating, if tragic, story.
    it would make a fantastic biopic...one that I often wonder why it has not been made.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

The bio-pic may have been stalled because of Bill Milkowski's messed up and inaccurate book about Jaco. It certainly muddied the waters, causing more harm than good and potentially scared away any major studio's thoughts of making a film about the guy.

One of my favorite albums featuring Pastorius is Pat Metheny's debut Bright Size Life. If you can find it, it's quite worth checking out, as the album consists only of Metheny, Jaco and drummer Bob Moses.

George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The bio-pic may have been stalled because of Bill Milkowski's messed up and inaccurate book about Jaco. It certainly muddied the waters, causing more harm than good and potentially scared away any major studio's thoughts of making a film about the guy.
    was a film in the works at one point?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.