Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

So...Anyone Going To Bother Watching "Live Earth" This Weekend?

Live Earth: NBC learns lessons from Live 8
    Thu Jul 5, 2007 11:23AM EDT
    Live Earth more than just hot air?

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - This weekend's Live Earth extravaganza aims to bring awareness of global warming as well as music to the world, and NBC Universal wants to make sure its wall-to-wall television coverage doesn't strike a sour note.

NBC Universal has thrown the full weight of its TV portfolio to carry Live Earth, with a three-hour primetime special Saturday night on NBC plus 18 hours of live coverage on Bravo, seven hours on CNBC and lots of coverage on Sundance Channel, Universal HD, Telemundo and Mun2. Microsoft's MSN has exclusive online global rights.

In July 2005, Live Earth's predecessor, Live 8, drew so many complaints about commercial interruptions that MTV and VH1 acknowledged its mistakes and ran five hours each of commercial-free coverage a week afterward. This time, NBC Universal is working with concert promoter Kevin Wall and advertisers to cut commercial time by about 50% per hour. There will be more than 50 minutes of program an hour (compared with about 42 minutes normally).

"We were very sensitive to the commercial load on the feeds," said Dan Harrison, senior vp emerging networks at NBC Cable. "It will be significantly lighter than what a normal hour of network television would be."

The main sponsors on NBC are American Express, Apple and General Motors.

Harrison said NBC Universal takes seriously the lessons of Live 8.

"We do believe in the importance of the message and we do believe in working with the producers to find the most compelling way to share this with our viewers," Harrison said. "We think we've worked hard to learn from Live 8."

After the Who's F-bomb on ABC that drew the FCC's ire during Live 8, there will be a multisecond delay on the live events.

"There will be an appropriate delay so there is no issue with standards," Harrison said. "In today's broadcasting environment, it's necessary to do but it's nothing that we think is excessive." Continued...http://www.reuters.com/article/telev...30477520070705

ALL Live Earth Concert Performers...
    12 Girls Band, Abingdon Boys School, AFI, AI, Ai Otsuka, Akon, Alicia Keys, Angelique Kidjo, Anthony Wong, Ayaka, Baaba Maal, Beastie Boys, Black Eyed Peas, Bloc Party, Blue King Brown, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Pink, Chris Cornell, Cocco, Corinne Bailey Rae, Crowded House, Damien Rice, Danny K, Dave Matthews Band, David Gray, Duran Duran, Eason Chan, Enrique Iglesias, Eskimo Joe, Evnonne Hsu, Faith Hill w/Tim McGraw, Fall Out Boy, Foo Fighters, Genesis, Genki Rockets, Ghostwriters, Huang Xiao Ming, Jack Johnson, James Blunt, Jan Delay, Joey Yung, John Butler Trio, John Legend, John Mayer, Jorge Ben Jor, Joss Stone, Jota Quest, Juli, Kanye West, Katie Melua, Keane, Keith Ureban, Kelly Clarkson, Kenna, Korn, KT Tunstall, Kumi Koda, Lenny Kravitz, Linkin Park, Lotto King Karl, Ludacris, Macy Gray, Madonna, Mana, Mando Diao, Marcelo D2, Melissa Etheridge, Michael Mittermeier, Michael Nyman, Missy Higgins, MV Bill, Nunatak, O Rappa, Paolo Nutini, The Parlotones, Paul Kelly, Pharrell Williams, Ray LaMontagne, Razorlight, Reamonn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rihanna, Rip Slyme, Robin Thicke, Roger Cicero, Roger Waters, Sarah Brightman, Sasha, Shakira, Silbermond, Sneaky Sound System, Snoop Dogg, Soler, The Police, Sheryl Crow, Smashing Pumpkins, Snoop Dogg, Snow Patrol, The Soweto Gospel Choir, Spinal Tap, Taking Back Sunday, Toni Collette and the Finish, UB40, Vanessa Da Matta, Vusi Mahlesela, Winnie Shin, Wolfmother, Xuxa, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Yusuf (formerly Cat Stevens), Xzibit and Zola.
    http://watch7-7-07.com/Performers_at_the_Live_Eart.php
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No. Out of that entire line-up, there's no one I want to see.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

I'll be busy watching the Barney Miller marathon in Castillian (with French subtitles) that I accidentally Tivo'd...

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetforce View Post
    I'll be busy watching the Barney Miller marathon in Castillian (with French subtitles) that I accidentally Tivo'd...
    Just as well, as I think "Live Earth" is going to be canceled in Rio...

Court suspends Live Earth Rio concert
    Last Updated: Wednesday, July 4, 2007 | 12:21 PM ET
    CBC Arts
    Brazil is in danger of losing its Live Earth concert this Saturday, after local authorities obtained a court injunction suspending the show over security concerns.

Rio de Janeiro's famed Copacabana Beach had been scheduled to host the only free Live Earth concert on Saturday, joining other official shows in cities like London, Shanghai and Johannesburg.

Lenny Kravitz, Macy Gray and Jorge Ben Jor are among the performers slated for the Copacabana show, which organizers had expected to attract about one million concertgoers.

The Rio state prosecutor's office announced on Wednesday that it had obtained the injunction suspending the climate change awareness concert, according to reports from Reuters and in local media.

The main reason given was that there is not enough police personnel to serve as security at the event.

According to authorities, the city's security efforts are concentrated on the upcoming Pan American Games, which begin in Rio July 13. In recent weeks, the police have conducted raids and made multiple arrests around the Brazilian city, which has a reputation for high crime rates.

Continue http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2...h.html?ref=rss
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Eh, I'm sure I'll catch pieces of it in passing but I'm not too terribly excited about it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pretty sad when the only band I'd be excited about seeing is a FICTITIOUS BAND!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Gonna be at Summerfest that day. No matter, there's only a couple bands to me that are worth seeing (RHCP, Genesis).

Won't lose sleep over it...
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

12 Girls Band, Abingdon Boys School, AFI, AI, Ai Otsuka, Akon, Alicia Keys, Angelique Kidjo, Anthony Wong, Ayaka, Baaba Maal, Beastie Boys, Black Eyed Peas, Bloc Party, Blue King Brown, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Pink, Chris Cornell, Cocco, Corinne Bailey Rae, Crowded House, Damien Rice, Danny K, Dave Matthews Band, David Gray, Duran Duran, Eason Chan, Enrique Iglesias, Eskimo Joe, Evnonne Hsu, Faith Hill w/Tim McGraw, Fall Out Boy, Foo Fighters, Genesis, Genki Rockets, Ghostwriters, Huang Xiao Ming, Jack Johnson, James Blunt, Jan Delay, Joey Yung, John Butler Trio, John Legend, John Mayer, Jorge Ben Jor, Joss Stone, Jota Quest, Juli, Kanye West, Katie Melua, Keane, Keith Ureban, Kelly Clarkson, Kenna, Korn, KT Tunstall, Kumi Koda, Lenny Kravitz, Linkin Park, Lotto King Karl, Ludacris, Macy Gray, Madonna, Mana, Mando Diao, Marcelo D2, Melissa Etheridge, Michael Mittermeier, Michael Nyman, Missy Higgins, MV Bill, Nunatak, O Rappa, Paolo Nutini, The Parlotones, Paul Kelly, Pharrell Williams, Ray LaMontagne, Razorlight, Reamonn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rihanna, Rip Slyme, Robin Thicke, Roger Cicero, Roger Waters, Sarah Brightman, Sasha, Shakira, Silbermond, Sneaky Sound System, Snoop Dogg, Soler, The Police, Sheryl Crow, Smashing Pumpkins, Snoop Dogg, Snow Patrol, The Soweto Gospel Choir, Spinal Tap, Taking Back Sunday, Toni Collette and the Finish, UB40, Vanessa Da Matta, Vusi Mahlesela, Winnie Shin, Wolfmother, Xuxa, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Yusuf (formerly Cat Stevens), Xzibit and Zola.

Wow, you guys are hard to please! I highlighted the bands I would be interested in seeing, it is free to watch.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I dunno - seems kind of snarky to hold an event that's probably going to use a whole lot of 'lectricity to promote awareness of global warming...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I dunno - seems kind of snarky to hold an event that's probably going to use a whole lot of 'lectricity to promote awareness of global warming...
    Yup...thought the same thing myself. Bob Geldof has issues with it, as well...

Bob Geldof's Live Earth rant

Sir Bob Geldof EPA/SOEREN STACHE

May 14, 2007, 11:20 GMT

Sir Bob Geldof has slammed global warming awareness concert Live Earth.

The musician ' the organiser of the Live Aid and Live 8 concerts which raised money and aid for the Third World - is furious he has been linked with the eco-friendly event, and has branded it a waste of time.

Geldof raged to Holland's De Volkskrant newpaper: "It sounds like Live 8. I'm getting lots of responses from people who think I am organising it.

"I would only organise Live Earth if I could go on stage and announce concrete environmental measures from the American presidential candidates, Congress or major corporations.

"They haven't got those guarantees, so it's just an enormous pop concert or the umpteenth time that, say, Madonna or Coldplay get up on stage.

"I hope they're a success. But why is Gore actually organising them? To make us aware of the greenhouse effect? Everybody's known about that problem for years. We are all f***ing conscious of global warming."

Former US Vice-President Al Gore said Live Earth would mark the beginning of a long campaign to fight global warming and insisted the concerts were a good way to launch the project because "the task of saving the global environment is a task we should all approach with a sense of joy".

The headliners of the London Live Earth show at Wembley stadium are expected to be Madonna, the Beastie Boys, Black Eyed Peas, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Keane and Foo Fighters.

At the US concert, to be held at Giants Stadium outside New York, Bon Jovi, the Dave Matthews Band, Kanye West, Rihanna, John Mayer, the Smashing Pumpkins and Fall Out Boy are all expected to perform.

The concerts will be broadcast in the US by the NBC network and on more than 120 networks around the world. It will also be streamed live online.

(C) BANG Media International

http://people.monstersandcritics.com...le_1304155.php
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post

"...and he who is SNARKY, is full of malarky..."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

The Police and Spinal Tap on the same bill.. how can ya go wrong .

I'm tivo'ing the event and will just watch it later. Much like I did for the Concert for Diana (which I ended up watching only Joss Stone and Elton Johns short sets out of a 5 hour show).

I'm taking a road trip this weekend, so I'll probably catch some of it on XM during the trip.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Metallica is performing too though they aren't listed there, but it is confirmed on their website. And I've heard stuff from their current summer tour and they sound better than they have since the Black album tour....no joke. They've even played the full "...And Justice For All" song for the first time since the Justice tour. So I'd love to see them, Genesis, RHCP, Chris Cornell, The Police, Roger Waters and maybe even Yusuf as I really liked his latest album and love Cat Stevens.....but not many others. I'll try to catch those acts though.

Favorite VH Album

VH, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

There are only a few bands I actually want to see: Genesis, The Police, Metallica (who are not on the list above, but who'll play in London) and, of course, Spinal Tap!
    Oh, and maybe the Foo Fighters, too, but that's about it

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300