Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default "Jump" Done On Acoustic Guitar

I realize this is a YouTube video and could possibly be moved to a more appropriate forum, but this video perfectly illustrates what I've been saying for years, which is that it would be nice, especially on the upcoming tour if say, Eddie and Dave alone on stage did a reworked version of the song in this manner instead of playing it in the same burned out album arrangement it's been played since 1984.

T.B.

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me first say . . . great version, great skill, I liked it.

As for Van Halen and doing this live? It's only burned out in your mind. Just because you have an affinity for acoustic driven parodies of hit songs doesn't mean that the right decision is to do such a massive change-up.

It happens all the time. People like something, and they think the rest of us will like it to, and that anything else is "burned out" or not worth while.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Roche is certainly the man...but I'm not a huge fan of artists taking hit songs that were recorded in electric full-band arrangements and then retooling them for acoustic guitar...it just seems so contrived...you know what I mean? I'd love to hear what Ed would do with an acoustic guitar and maybe it will occur to him at some point to record a record or even tour upscale small venues like Houston Mucky Duck with just an acoustic. But I can't say I'm a huge fan of the idea of taking older songs and "unplugging them" just to make them "fresh." Great vid though...posting Roche is never a bad thing.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I enjoyed the version, but don't we consider Jump to be a keys song? This would mean an acustic version would have Ed play it on a piano or a harpsichord instead of electric keys.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Let me first say . . . great version, great skill, I liked it.

As for Van Halen and doing this live? It's only burned out in your mind. Just because you have an affinity for acoustic driven parodies of hit songs doesn't mean that the right decision is to do such a massive change-up.

It happens all the time. People like something, and they think the rest of us will like it to, and that anything else is "burned out" or not worth while.
    What is with you projecting this whole "you have an affinity for acoustic driven parodies of hit songs" sniveling? You got a comprehension disability or you just looking to whine for the sake of whining? I simply said it would be a nice change if they did a different arrangement, meaning I was stating my own opinion. For the record, no I'm not a big fan of acoustic reworkings of songs on stage (such as most of U2's stuff they do on the B stage) but I thought this arrangement was novel enough and interesting enough to mention as an option. IMO, yes, I think the standard arrangement of "Jump" *is* burned out. Please note I wasn't speaking for anyone else other than my own opinion so pull the tampons outta your ears and pay attention or shut the fuck up.

T.B.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

http://www.ericroche.com

Eric Roche: RiP

Tragically, after suffering from cancer for more than a year, Eric Roche has now passed away.

Eric's ‘dance with cancer’ had developed to such an extent that it became untreatable & it has now come to a graceful end.

Eric died peacefully in his sleep on Tuesday 6th September 2005 with his wife by his side.

Those of you who were fortunate enough to see Eric in action at one of his shows &/or to meet him personally, you will undoubtedly have been touched by his incredibly dynamic & moving performances; a consummate artist & a deeply spiritual man, one of the most genuine & inspirational people you are ever likely to meet.

A good friend once commented that in a crowded concert room, Eric had the ability to make you feel that he was talking & playing directly to you; as only the greatest artists can do.
    RiP Eric Roche. You will be very sadly missed by those whose lives you touched.

Eric's family would like people to know how grateful they are for all the thoughts, words & prayers being directed towards them at this time - it really does mean so much to them.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Geez...That's too bad about the guy...

Nonetheless...I for one, love acoustic versions of songs.
    Case in point...Here's a version of a song that I don't like, but, acoustically, it smoke!

"Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member

Nice version...

I thought, though, i remember Ed saying somewhere a while ago that the reason he wouldnt do an acoustic album of these already completed songs is because they werent meant for acoustic. Anyone else remember this??
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_14 View Post
    Nice version...

I thought, though, i remember Ed saying somewhere a while ago that the reason he wouldnt do an acoustic album of these already completed songs is because they werent meant for acoustic. Anyone else remember this??
    I remember something like that...

Ed felt that the version on the cd is the ONLY version. It's on electric guitar because thats how it was written.
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Last Online

07.02.09 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Apocalypso, I hear ya on this! I loved the version and I could definately see Ed and DLR doing this that way...Ed could even do this on the electric with the distort turned down a bit..I think it would be too cool and I can imagine the interaction between Ed and DLR would be great to see.

E

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I don't want JUMP or any other VH song turned into what Clapton did to LAYLA!
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I don't want JUMP or any other VH song turned into what Clapton did to LAYLA!
    OK, this is just my opinion for the whiners who'll think I'm speaking for anyone else, fuck knows who that'd be.

Frankly, since it's likely the upcoming tour won't have a single new tune in the set aside from perhaps the two '96 songs performed for the first time, I think a couple key songs being reworked would be a great thing. Especially songs like "Jump" which have been played relentlessly for 20+ years live in the same exact arrangement.

And this isn't something new. Van Halen played a radically different version of "Runnin' With The Devil" during the 1980 tour which was a welcome change and showed that they were willing to push the fans and their own creative expectations (at the time) and not hold the album versions of the songs as gospel. To an extent, that was what Eddie was at times trying to do with some songs on the '04 tour, however his sloppiness and obviously impaired skill didn't always make that clear in his playing.

Now I'm not asking for a Bruce Springsteen (or even U2) level of drastic changes in some song arrangements, but I think an old warhorse like Jump which sounds frankly dated to me could stand some sort of updating. Maybe an acoustic version is a bit much, but the song is open enough to be reinterpreted in a lot of different ways including versions that rock far harder than the standard version.

T.B.

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These isn't anyone who has more moronic and whiny tone than you Apocalypso. Settle down. Take the dog for a walk or get laid.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    These isn't anyone who has more moronic and whiny tone than you Apocalypso. Settle down. Take the dog for a walk or get laid.
    If I see your wife, I'm sure I can do both at the same time.

T.B.