Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:21 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Sly and the Family Stone

http://www.vanityfair.com/fame/featu...7/08/sly200708

A great new article about this true musical genius. If you don't know about Sly Stone, you should look into his music and his story. Very interesting guy.
    He's been a hermit for years (sound like anyone) and is trying to make a comeback. Good luck Sly
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Great article. If Sly has new music to make, we could use him. However, if all he's got is rap - stay retired! But it sounds as if he could be actually interested in making music. Never realised he was such into the custom cars and bikes, even back in the day.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I love Sly and the Family Stone. Sly is what I hope Ed does not become, let's hope this 2007 talk is for real, for both men.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Default Legend

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Funk Legend Sly Stone Is Living in a Van

Some rock stars make headlines when they're having trouble building mega-million-dollar dream homes (like The Edge, who wants to construct a massive Malibu estate), but funk pioneer Sly Stone doesn't have that problem: About 30 miles east of the U2 guitarist's controversial compound, Stone has been living in a small camper parked on a residential street in the rough Los Angeles neighborhood of Crenshaw. One of music's most influential legends is on the edge of homelessness..

How did Stone go from the Beverly Hills mansion he once owned to a Winnebago? A combination of bad business decisions, a greedy manager, and decades of drug use that ate into his savings. Amazingly, Stone is taking his troubles in stride, telling the New York Post, "I like my small camper. I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving." Still, the musician says he wants to recoup the cash he lost over the past decades..

Sly and the Family Stone, the band Sly formed with his siblings Freddie and Rose, were one of the most influential groups of the Woodstock era, seamlessly blending elements of funk, R&B, psychedelic rock, and soul into chart-topping hits like "Family Affair," "Everybody People," and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)." They released landmark albums like 1969's Stand and 1971's There's a Riot Goin' On. Stone's group changed the trajectory of American music, and everyone from Michael Jackson and Parliament/Funkadelic to Prince and Red Hot Chili Peppers were inspired by his work -- Tupac Shakur and the Wu-Tang Clan even sampled his songs. However, by 1987, Stone ditched the music industry completely..

The Family Stone were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993. At first, Sly didn't appear to be in attendance, but just as the Family was about to accept the honor, their singer suddenly emerged, made a few comments, and disappeared from the stage. A similar incident happened in 2006 at the Grammy's all-star tribute to Sly and the Family Stone: After missing rehearsals all week, Sly popped up mid-performance, sang "I Want to Take You Higher," then quickly bailed. To say Stone is eccentric is an understatement: He's spent much of the last decades as a recluse, scarcely performing in public. However, money problems have forced him out of hiding..

Stone's drug use slowly eroded his health and wealth -- he was busted for cocaine earlier this year, so those problems persist -- but his business decisions are mostly responsible for his current living situation. In 1984, three years after the Family Stone released their final (until this summer) album Ain't But the One Way, Sly foolishly sold the publishing rights to his catalog to Michael Jackson and his Sony ATV group for $1 million, much less than it was worth. In 1989, Stone signed with manager Jerry Goldstein, who the singer is now suing for $50 million. Sly claims Goldstein withheld 20 years of royalties from him. .

The Post writes that Stone has been subsisting on the handouts of neighbors, which is surprising since Stone has been more active with performances in recent years. He delivered a (disastrous) gig at the 2010 Coachella festival, toured Europe in 2007, and even released a new album, I'm Back... Family & Friends, earlier this summer. However, money might not be Stone's only problem. The Post reports that Stone has become increasingly paranoid, afraid that both the FBI and assassins are pursuing him. The newspaper snapped a photo of Stone toting a Taser and wearing a silver helmet and a white jumpsuit that looks a lot like a straitjacket. .

"My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won't forget. That's why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that's why I am in court. Millions of dollars!" Stone told the Post, adding he's eager to collaborate with Lady Gaga and today's artists. "But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I'm tired of all this s---, man."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Funk legend Sly Stone now homeless and living out of a van in LA

Over the years, Stone has dropped tens of thousands of dollars on his other hobby: automobiles. In his early days, he drove a Jaguar XKE he painted purple. There were Hummers, a London taxi and a beloved Studebaker, which Stone asked to have painted in exchange for this interview. (The Post declined.) A few years ago, he would cruise around LA on a bright-yellow, custom three-wheel chopper. He was known to give cars to friends.

By 1980, the group’s popularity had declined enormously from its heyday. Stone appeared on an episode of “The Mike Douglas Show” and promised, “I’m going to do one more album real quick, and if it’s not instantly platinum, bye-bye.” Sly & the Family Stone’s 10th and final album, 1982’s “Ain’t But the One Way,” flopped.

Stone kept his word and mostly vanished. He was arrested a few times in the 1980s for cocaine possession and performed sporadically, but his days of sold-out shows and magazine covers were gone. A 1987 performance would prove to be his last for 19 years.

He finally reappeared during a 2006 Grammy tribute, shuffling on stage, his posture hunched and his neck bent as a result of a fall he suffered at his home. He arrived midway through a medley of his classic hits, played the keyboard and sang for a few bars, waved, then inexplicably left the stage before the song concluded.

Today, Sly is disheveled, paranoid -- the FBI is after him; his enemies have hired hit men. He refuses to let The Post into his camper, but, ever the showman, poses flamboyantly with a silver military helmet and a Taser in front of his Studebaker.

The singer claims his money troubles escalated in 2009, when his royalty payments stopped flowing after Stone accused his manager, Jerry Goldstein, of fraud. Stone says he was tricked into signing a rotten contract with Goldstein in 1989, giving the manager control of his finances in exchange for a weekly paycheck.

Last year, Stone sued Goldstein for $50 million, alleging fraud and 20 years of stolen royalty payments. (Contributing to the singer’s dire financial situation, he foolishly sold his valuable music-publishing rights to Michael Jackson for a reported $1 million in 1984.)

Goldstein did not return calls seeking comment.

The performer’s cash-flow problems forced him out of his Napa Valley house that he rented with money from a 2007 European tour and into cheap hotels and the van in 2009. Stone hopes to soon put the lawsuit and his other woes behind him.

“My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won’t forget. That’s why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that’s why I am in court. Millions of dollars!” Stone says. “But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I’m tired of all this s--t, man.”

Earlier this year, Stone released an album of his hits re-recorded with other artists. Stone has new songs, but he no longer trusts record companies or managers and is wary about making a deal to release another album. He works constantly on new music, often staying up for two days straight, then sleeping for the next two. (In a nice piece of symmetry, some of his 1971 album, “There’s a Riot Goin’ On,” was recorded in a Winnebago.) He has hundreds of new tracks recorded in his van that he keeps for himself. For now, at least.

“But, with new energy, it will feel good to step on stage,” he says. “I see all the guys playing those old songs. Let these guys know, like Lady Gaga, let me come in, just let me come in and pay me if you like it.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Sad. Don't know if it's just the drugs or if there are other mental issues at play there, but how does someone like that even begin to get help?

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Legendary '70s funk maven Sly Stone has checked into rehab, according to Perez Hilton. This comes after a long period of sliding down the proverbial slippery slope, which was jam packed with drugs.

"[Sly] wants to get clean, and stay sober," a source close to the soul-funk superstar says. "Sly has fallen on very hard times in the past few years. Sly will be in rehab for at least the next 90 days, and he is committed to getting sober."

Sly was recently arrested for possession of cocaine earlier this year. The leader of Sly and the Family Stone has undergone a meteoric downfall: in the last several years he had to give up a compound in Napa Valley, Calif. and was relegated to living in a camper van. The singer had earlier expressed his intentions to get clean and put his music career back on track. Here's hoping the 69-year-old will get it together, everyone needs a little more funk in their lives.
    http://www.spinner.com/2011/10/21/sl...-enters-rehab/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Default Sly Stone turns 70 years old today

Happy Birthday Sly....

Sly a few weeks back in L.A.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:54 PM
    Liked 11,768 Times in 6,519 Posts

Premium Member

TOO COOL SLY IS A BAD ASS MOFO.
    WHO CAN FORGET THIS?

BEST DAMN PERFORMANCE AT WOODSTOCK!
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 03.15.13 at 05:33 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen