Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default Weight Gain, Health and How you Feel

I was wondering if you could share your "how I feel" with me.

First about me. I'm 5' 10" tall. Right now I weigh 215lbs. It doesn't look like it at all one me. People guess my weight at around 185lbs. Regardless of that, I could stand to lose about 30 - 40 lbs.

Of late, I feel down. I want to lose the weight, but am put off by it. Don't know why. I own the equipment to do so. I feel tired lots, and subsequently, just sit around. I get motivated for a few hours, at the wrong time. While at work. Then I get home and couch time. I know I eat the wrong foods too.

I have also noticed my sex drive decrease. A while back I did get down to 192lbs. Felt great. Much better than now.

So. For those that are in the same weight class (over that is), do you feel the same way? Tired, a bit down, lower sex drive?
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I'm about your height and was at around 185. Doc told me I needed to change my diet or he'd make a prescription out for me for high cholestrol. No way I'm taking pills so I just started eating better and eating less. I dropped to about 157 and the doc was pretty impressed, I guess because a lot of people can't or won't do that.

Girls I know or work with always bitch about weight but won't stop shoving piles of shit down their throats at every meal (with appetizers) and then bitch at me for not eating. I just think they're jealous.

And yes, I feel much better.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Great story. How long did it take you to lose the weight? What did you do?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h*bunter View Post

First about me. I'm 5' 10" tall. Right now I weigh 215lbs. It doesn't look like it at all one me. People guess my weight at around 185lbs. Regardless of that, I could stand to lose about 30 - 40 lbs.

Of late, I feel down. I want to lose the weight, but am put off by it. Don't know why. I own the equipment to do so. I feel tired lots, and subsequently, just sit around. I get motivated for a few hours, at the wrong time. While at work. Then I get home and couch time. I know I eat the wrong foods too.

I have also noticed my sex drive decrease. A while back I did get down to 192lbs. Felt great. Much better than now.

So. For those that are in the same weight class (over that is), do you feel the same way? Tired, a bit down, lower sex drive?

First of all, the more you lay around, the less energy you're going to have. Just get up and force yourself to do some kind of cardiovascular exercise. Take a brisk walk, jump on a treadmill for 20 min. If you'll do this every day (except Sunday and Wednesday) for 2 weeks, you'll start feeling better and better about yourself and have more energy. Then, you'll become "addicted" to it and you'll want to do it. It helps mentally as well as physically. Start out slow and build your way up. You don't want to do too much too soon.

Try to stay away from fried foods and sugar for the first month as much as you can. Once a week or so would be ok, as long as you don't over eat a lot of it. Also, try to eat as many raw vegetables, fruit, and 100% whole grain products as you can. Those foods alone will increase your energy level.

After a few weeks, your sex drive and energy will sky rocket! I promise!

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks Kimmie...

I hope it comes back. I just feel plain crappy of late.

I'm thinking of cutting bread and potatoes too.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Great story. How long did it take you to lose the weight? What did you do?
    I think it was around a year to lose it. If I would've worked out some, I'm sure it would've been faster. I just ate better and less. The doc never checked my cholesterol levels the second time. He said he didn't need to since I had dropped all that weight.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks Kimmie...

I hope it comes back. I just feel plain crappy of late.

I'm thinking of cutting bread and potatoes too.
    Your Welcome, You don't have to cut out potatoes and bread. You've got to have them. Make good, smart choices, like baked or roasted potatoes and whole grain or wheat breads. The darker the bread,the better it is for you.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

First about me. I'm 5' 10" tall. Right now I weigh 215lbs. It doesn't look like it at all one me. People guess my weight at around lbs. Regardless of that, I could stand to lose about 30 - 40 lbs.

I have also noticed my sex drive decrease. A while back I did get down to lbs. Felt great. Much better than now.

I can talk about this for days.

I lost a bunch of weight over the last year (maybe a little longer). It wasn't easy but I can tell you what I did.

Here is me as of late, I should be around 207lbs there (I have lost a little more since this picture):

And this is me early last year (it's the only picture I have, I was up to 230-235 easy, I'm the one throwing the ball):

You can tell by my legs there that I was quite a bit heavier.

Anyway, this is what ended up working for me. I tried going to a completely healthy diet and intense workout sessions but I wouldn't stay with it for very long. With the added pounds and mental nonsense (that goes along with weighing to much, you know what I'm talking about) it wasn't working very well for me.

So I just started doing stuff in smaller increments. First I stopped drinking soda (that was a big deal for me), and I quit eating fast food (I eat it every once in a while, maybe once ever couple of weeks). For lunch I figured I could eat tuna sandwiches every day, no mayo, just Miracle Whip (almost no fat). For dinner I cook/grill some kind of chicken thing, you can do a lot with chicken. On the weekends (usually the Sunday morning after Church) I have whatever I want for breakfast, it's something to look forward to and just one meal won't kill me. I also started taking a once daily multivitamin in the morning along with whatever lite breakfast I'm having (if I even have one, usually I don't). I started riding my mountain bike again, me and the wife used to ride a lot but stopped because of the baby.

Basically I just eliminated the really bad stuff from my diet, I didn't switch to anything crazy, I just ate a little better (and in smaller portions). With the added physical activity my body had no choice but to lose weight. And with the weight loss I feel better and I'm open to new ideas (I'm running again right now). If I tried to do all that within the first month I wouldn't have made it to a second month, that's just me. I'm a ex-jock type of guy but I did that for fun, I was REALLY skinny then and it's just what I did. Once I hit my late 20's my metabolism changed, when I was 27 I gained 60 lbs. in six months (I'm not kidding). Before I went to Japan in June 2000 I had to weigh in for a physical fitness test, I weighed 157 lbs. In December we had another test and I had to weigh in again, this time I weighed 210!! And it didn't get better from there, I would drop 20-30 pounds and then put it back (plus some more). Also, I didn't change my physical activity (intense) according to my new body type, I really tore myself up there for a while.

Basically, figure out what you need to do in order to change, and immediately quit one bad part of your typical diet, at first whatever you think will be easiest. Then go on from there. If you can start doing extra physical activity make sure you increase your protein intake, about 1/2 gram for every pound you weigh. There are websites all over the place that tell you what specific foods have high protein levels (tuna is a good one for me), plus anything else you might want to know. Also, quit eating food with saturated fat, your body can't do shit with it. It's hard to avoid these days, but do your best.

I guess that's it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A few adjustments will work wonders.
    Quiting with the cokes and fast food alone makes all the difference.
    Changing my diet was the best thing I ever did.
    I'm prolly the lightest I've been since I was 18 and I feel
    so much better than when I was eating too much crap.
    Last edited by mistere; 07.03.07 at 11:59 AM.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm 5' 7" and right now around 215, down from 231 at the beginning of the year.

been riding my bike a half-hour a day, whether i feel like it or not. i take it to work with me and hit the trails before i go home. sometimes after working a 12 hour day i don't want to go but i do it anyways, and if i go right at 7 am it's usually not too damn hot.

i never drank that much pop, maybe a Coke in the morning. now if i'm going to drink it i drink Cherry Coke Zero. we can't have drinks on the floor at work so it's not like i'm sipping pop all day.

got my cholesterol checked last month...and it wasn't bad. doc saw no need to put me on meds. i thought maybe i got the wrong test results, 'cause i do love my BW3 once a week , so i dunno. maybe all the salad and yogurt i eat for lunch at work helps.

the funny thing is that everyone treats me like i'm gonna die...but i can go out on the bike for 15 miles, come back, and not feel like i'm having a heart attack...or i can run up three flights of steps on the machine at work and i'm not winded when i get up there...i sleep fine...no crazy hunger or thirst...so i don't feel too bad about it. if i got down to 190-195 i'd be happy, but all the "experts" say that's still obese for my height. fuck 'em.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I'm not a big believer in those trendy diets that are being tossed around all the time. I never was a fan of Atkins' shit, LA diets, weight watchers, etc. My theory is that everyone is different What works for some, might not work for others.
    Like everyone has said, if you eat healthier the better it will be. Once you start eating healthier and feeling better about yourself, you'll never really crave that fast food-type shit again.
    I cut out fast food absolutely for a year and didn't miss it (now I'll go very very rarely). Then I started playing racquetball with another friend of mine and that was it. I'm not a runner, can't stand it, it's boring. I need an objective. When I played racquetball I was getting a great workout and I wasn't even realizing it as I was doing it. It was a fun activity. Years ago I used to work out with weights. It was fun and I met some cool people at the gym doing that, but I found that I was more into sports like racquetball and tennis. I went to the YMCA where there were no roidheads, although now the weight room there is filled with the meatheads that spend more time in the mirror than they do with the weights (most of them must be letting the needle to the bulk of the work for them).

Through it all, I never stopped drinking soda, never stopped eating white rolls for my sandwiches, still ate pasta--regular pasta not that wheat pasta shit (I'm Italian afterall ). That was back when all that "cut out carbs" talk was at its peak. The only food change I made, and I was very skeptical about it, was changing from ground beef to turkey meat (for hamburgers, meatballs, etc.). I hardly notice a difference and it's better for me.
    I used to make fun of my roommate in college because whenever he had milk he had skim milk. I used to tell him it sucked, it was like water, it ain't milk. Well, I've been drinking it ever since.
    Everyone basically knows what the bad things are. Just try to stay away from them. I know it's easier said than done. But after a little while you will adapt to a healthier diet and a healthier life. Again, I still enjoy a lot of foods that I probably shouldn't, but moderation is the key.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

One more thing from me. Start drinking lots of water, at least a gallon a day. For some people who don't drink much water this is difficult, but you need it and it really helps curb your hunger. Plus it's easy weight to take off!

You will feel 100% better if you can do a gallon of water per day.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cutting carbs is a good place to start. You can go the Atkins route and cut all carbs for a while, and it will bring some impressive results, but it's not really sustainable in the long run.

The key is what kind of carbs you eat.

High fructose corn syrup should be avoided completely. That's easier said than done, because it's in damn near every processed food in this country. Most obviously in carbonated soft drinks. If you can't live without the occasional fizzy colored water, look for Jones soda, which is now made with pure cane sugar. There are other natural brands around which also use real sugar, but read the label to be sure.

Bleached white flour is almost as bad as HFCS. These carbs are so refined that your body can't break them down, so they are absorbed into the bloodstream and stored in the cells. This is exactly why there has been such a rapid rise in both obesity and diabetes in this country in the last 25 years. Your typical fast food meal is a high fat burger on a bleached white flour bun washed down with a quart of High Fructose Corn Poison.

The occasional potato is probably OK, depending on how you cook it. Fried in trans fats? probably not.

Brown rice is better than white rice. It's got more fiber and is more complex of a carbohydrate, meaning more carbs broken down in the process, less absorbed into the cells.

Bread - go for the multigrain stuff. Tastes better than boring old wonder bread anyway. They even have multigrain tortillas now.

And the proper hydration works too. Especially if you're going to cut carbs drastically, more water will help process the extra protein.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

You have to eat carbs or you won't have any energy. Carbs are fuel for our bodies. Vegtables are good carbs.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

i started working out last august, weighing 263 and super high blood pressure. now, almost a year later, im weighing 205 and bp is almost back to normal...just do alot of cardio, circuit weight training, and watch what you eat. you need carbs for fuel, but dont overdo it, if you take in more carbs than you can burn up it ends up stored as fat. you dont want that. just watch what you eat, work out at least 4 days a week. cant stress cardio enough. get on it, and good luck!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.