Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Moving: The pain-in-the-ass of modern times

So this weekend I move into a new apartment with my fiancée. I held onto my "freedom" for a long time, but it started to feel like I was being a big baby and running from the inevitable. So my cool apartment I've been in for a while I will now leave in just a matter of hours. Devon, my fiancée, is awesome; she's a super cute woman, eight years my junior, who really has her shit together. Sometimes it drives her crazy that I'm more abstract. But as long as I keep telling jokes that make her laugh and delivering the big "O" I think all will be good.

So the move...

I reserved a truck for Friday morning through Sunday evening. I have to be out of my place my noon Saturday. She doesn't have to be out of her place until the afternoon Sunday. Our new place isn't move-in-able until the afternoon on Sunday. The plan was to load up my stuff in the truck Friday morning and afternoon; I then had a gig to play, 45 minutes away, at 5:30. There was plenty of time. I'd close out things at my apartment Saturday morning and spend Saturday night at her place. Sunday we'd load up her stuff in the truck and shift everything to our new place (in Uptown Minneapolis--two blocks from Lake Calhoun, if any of y'all happen to know the area). The gig threw a wrench in there a little, but the plan had things set up adequately enough.

Incidentally, the gig I played was with my band, AT/DT, and was a house party fundraiser event for Al Franken's Senate campaign. ("I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dawgonit, people like me.") Al came over and joked around with us for a while, then we all took a picture (sans drummer DT, who was "relaxing" in his truck... fuckin' idiot).

So Friday morning I got a call from the truck rental place. They said someone had "crashed one of [our] trucks yesterday, and [we] won't have [yours] until this afternoon." That's dumb truck rental place guy language for: "I fucked up and double-booked. Can you wait?" So my window to move shit out of my apartment shrank to nothing, and it was then just a matter of getting the truck picked up with enough time to spare to get to my gig out in Butt-Fuck-Egypt. So I haven't slept for days from keeping up with my regular schedule and all this moving and packing crap, my truck gets fucked up so I don't have any clue how I'm gonna get this shit all loaded up in amount of time before I have to be out, and I'm quickly headed out the door to get to my gig--late. I took a piss before leaving, flushed, and the fucking toilet overflowed! I just had to throw towels down and get out the door. Oh, how I so looked forward to coming home to that later! The gig was fun (as was described somewhat above), I met some cute liberal girls, and it actually served as kind of a distraction away from the craziness of the day and week. Then as I was picking up gear and loading it in my car after the show, I grabbed my big-ass heavy Peavey 5150 combo amp, started walking, and stepped on an uneven part of the yard. Expensive guitar amplifier rolls forward out of arms, lands on yard, and does a couple tumbles. Also, it bruised the shit out of my right middle finger in the process. (When it rains, it pours, I guess.) My sister and fiancée were kind enough to meet me back at my apartment around 10:30--at night--to help load the truck. I was tired and exhausted as all shit, but I conjured up some adrenaline and kicked into move-mode. Most of my crap is now in that truck, protected by a $7 Master lock, and I'm contemplating the absurdity of this process of moving that so many of us put ourselves through semi-regularly.

It was a tough day today.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Moving does indeed suck. We moved across the street 1 1/2 years ago & I honestly think that was tougher than moving several miles. The tendency being to not really pack anything thinking it will be faster. WRONG! There's still junk in the kid's closets that should be in the kitchen.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

One would hope that upon finally getting inside the "new" place, the electricity and water, not to mention cable were all turned on.
    Little things like that, along with the rental office actually having the fucking keys to the apartment go a long way toward making the endeavor a tad smoother.

Not for nothing, try to video tape the "representative" from the rental office who greets you when you move in. Watching her state: "Oh, we'll fix that for you right away" three years later (while the problem still exists and you are ready to move again) is always good for a laugh or two.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I've found that moving seems to be ok when you're single and your buddies help you out. Then you chow on some pizza, have a few cold ones, enjoy some laughs. I've found that when a woman is involved, it's a lot less fun. I've helped several friends move, but whenever I was helping a friend and his wife/girlfriend move, things get a lot more serious. There's way more attention paid to not banging something into a wall, being more careful, and not pissing off the missus. She has to be enjoying her role as traffic cop as she directs these clumsy oafs where to put her precious things.

When I was single and moved in to the house I'm in now, it was great. My friends and I actually had fun. There wasn't a whole lot of stuff and I organized everything to make it easier. When my friends helped my then-girlfriend/now-wife move in with me, there was so much stuff. I didn't know where things were going in the house. My response was "I don't know, ask Tara." I was like a broken record. I was even asking her where things went.

But in the end, I have to say, she certainly made the bachelor pad look nice, and we have gotten a lot of compliments, none of which are directed at me. And she was actually easy-going with the move. My wife, Tara, is a great girl. But a couple of my friends are more or less married to a female dominatrix, and the rest of my buds are hoping they stay right where they are for a long, long time.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

OMG whattan appropriate thread!!! We've been helping my aunt and uncle move for the past couple of MONTHS now!!! Today's the last day - I hope. Man talkabout the move that never ended! I never knew two people could have so much stuff!!

Whew!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well, I'm in the club. Have to move out of this room next week, and I figured I'd want to rent a one-bedroom apparetment coz putting up with other tenants (I lived with a dozen of those, 4 at the time) started to drive me up the wall - especially if you invite a girl and what not. I found quite an attractive appartment just a minute and a half walk from here for not even half a price of what I pay now, but I want to be super cautious especially after reading craig's post, coz on my first visit I don't remember if there's even electricity there turned on (coz the flat apparently haven't been rented for a while so the landlord might have ended the contract with utility company and they cut off the suply for what I know). So before signing the contract I'll double check every single detail that could be a pain in the butt if I miss something.

Regarding the transportation of the actual rubbish from one space to another, aside from computer, two amps and a tactical squad of Lord of the Rings uruk-hai assault team, I don't have much else so I'll just settle for one or two taxi rides.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

Moving pack rats sucks horrible ass. They refuse to part with any of their JUNK. Transfering a bunch of crap from one place to another that they'll never even unpack.

I moved a few months ago into a new apartment. Clothes, couch, t.v., computer and commanders chair/desk, sound system, couple of end tables, mountain bike, guitar and amps. DONE!

A couple of boxes of shit too, but whenever I move I always throw more stuff away than I take with me.
    Let go. It's liberating.

I pitty the pack rat.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Man, I so agree. When I moved from my homecountry to Wales I only had one ruggage bag and a guitar case - that's it. Leaving stuff behind is about the most amazing feeling, it's like a new life.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have moved around a lot, I have lived at my current residents for 9 years now; this is the longest I have ever been in one place. If I ever move, again I am hiring a moving company.

Sometimes I miss the days of being able to load every thing I had in a pickup and just Roll Gypsy Roll.
    Last edited by Stiil_A_Fan; 07.01.07 at 10:12 AM. Reason: I am Dyslexic:brickwall

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm thinking of moving to Thailand in a coupla months - Unless I land that
    kush gig I've been campaigning for, in which case I have to move anyway
    'cause my lease is expiring. That thought in itself is totally depressing
    cause I live in THE spot for LA as far as I'm concerned - on the beach in
    Venice. Everything and everywhere else in LA sucks (don't even say
    Orange County) and I can't look forward to the rent control I've so come to
    love. But the writings been on the wall anyway. I'm 40 now and having
    roomates that I'm not fucking is really just pathetic.

Totally stressing about what to do with all my shit, tho. Keep it, sell it,
    burn it, throw it off a cliff, I just don't know. I think I'll just cram everything
    I can into my truck and put that in storage for 6 mos. By then I'll have
    figured out if and when I want to come back to the states or not.
    All my other shit you'll likely be seeing on Craig'slist. Good times.
    Last edited by mistere; 07.01.07 at 06:33 PM.