Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default I'm Bored, So Here's A "What Would You Do" Question.

My 29 year old Ibanez Iceman needs a serious overhaul.

Intonation, new wiring for Toggle(maybe new Toggle), re-wire job for pots (maybe) and just some TLC that my (now vintage) guitar should have.

Now, locally I have three options. I have one guy who's probably great, he does work for Alan Holdsworth and other monsters, but he's backed up and I doubt I'll see my guitar again until the second Van Halen reunion tour with Dave. The second guy is out in Salinas and I've heard nothing about him. The third guy evidently sucks.

So I went to the Ibanez website and looked up authorized service and found that there's one in San Francisco, but I don't do business in SF. Then I found a place down in Van Nuys, CA., Eric's Guitar Shop Inc.. That's around 310 miles away (4 and a half hour drive).

So the question is, if this was your BABY, your pride and joy, your main machine, what would you do? Try to find a local guy and hope he's up to speed? Or do you make the drive to the official guy?

I'm going to make the drive.

First off, I'm always looking for a reason to go to LA as a guitar player. It's like a Priest going to the Vatican or going to a baseball game at Yankee Field. LA is the land of Van Halen, Larry Carlton, Steve Lukather, George Lynch and Randy Rhoads, so to even drive around down there with my guitar is kind of an ego-boost/head rush. Second, I love "Missions", and driving to Van Nuys to drop off my Iceman is a cool mission. Plus, I have to drive BACK to pick it up when I'm done. Third, it gives me a kick in the pants to get some work done on my truck (brakes, front tires and a tune-up). Fourth, hey...it's LA. LA is a trip for a small town dude. It's as close as I'll ever come to traveling to another planet.

So, I'm not really asking this question because I need advice, I guess I'm wondering if anyone else likes to have as much fun as I do and will do whatever it takes to care for their prized guitar.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know a dude where i live near about 45min-hr from fresno. he put my strat together and it is the best fuckin strat ive ever played! he is not an authorized repair man because he said that those big companies dont pay shit. he is really good if your curious. he has his own guitar and repair shop with all the extras to throw in your guitar. he repaired my amp too and it sounds great. he does this for a living and he is very reasonable.. he can do it all no joke!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I would do the work myself and spend the money on beer
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

What I would do, is just blindly ship the guitar to Majestic.

Signed,
    - Majestic

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Heh...
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Patience, Axx. If that is truly your baby, then it's worth the wait to have someone you know who has references do the job right. If Holdsworth uses this guy, and you know him personally, I'd use him. Damn good references.

How big of a rush are you in? So if it takes this guy 6 months or so to get to it, what's the big deal? If you've had this ax for that long, and it needs that kind of work, I am assuming you have been playing other guitars in more recent times?

Good luck out on the left coast.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Turning a task into an adventure is always fun.

No doubt there's lots of good techs in LA. I've always been fortunate enough to live in a metropolitan area where I can thrown a rock in any one direction and come close to hitting a music store.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    My 29 year old Ibanez Iceman needs a serious overhaul.

Intonation, new wiring for Toggle(maybe new Toggle), re-wire job for pots (maybe) and just some TLC that my (now vintage) guitar should have.

Now, locally I have three options. I have one guy who's probably great, he does work for Alan Holdsworth and other monsters, but he's backed up and I doubt I'll see my guitar again until the second Van Halen reunion tour with Dave. The second guy is out in Salinas and I've heard nothing about him. The third guy evidently sucks.

So I went to the Ibanez website and looked up authorized service and found that there's one in San Francisco, but I don't do business in SF. Then I found a place down in Van Nuys, CA., Eric's Guitar Shop Inc.. That's around 310 miles away (4 and a half hour drive).

So the question is, if this was your BABY, your pride and joy, your main machine, what would you do? Try to find a local guy and hope he's up to speed? Or do you make the drive to the official guy?

I'm going to make the drive.

First off, I'm always looking for a reason to go to LA as a guitar player. It's like a Priest going to the Vatican or going to a baseball game at Yankee Field. LA is the land of Van Halen, Larry Carlton, Steve Lukather, George Lynch and Randy Rhoads, so to even drive around down there with my guitar is kind of an ego-boost/head rush. Second, I love "Missions", and driving to Van Nuys to drop off my Iceman is a cool mission. Plus, I have to drive BACK to pick it up when I'm done. Third, it gives me a kick in the pants to get some work done on my truck (brakes, front tires and a tune-up). Fourth, hey...it's LA. LA is a trip for a small town dude. It's as close as I'll ever come to traveling to another planet.

So, I'm not really asking this question because I need advice, I guess I'm wondering if anyone else likes to have as much fun as I do and will do whatever it takes to care for their prized guitar.
    Sure, we're just from some different molds man. Screamin liberal/Icecold Conservative. Having a heart attack about an Iceman/I woulda took the fucker to...Wise Music, kid there is an ace. Honestly Axx, I doubt there is one person on here, that would "honestly" deny, that they would pay $100+ to lacquer their favorite piece of dogshit(feces) if it meant that equipment would work well again. I've paid considerable/albeit extremely reasonable repair fees for shit I don't care to/don't use anymore.

Fuck the dumb shit...Hell yes, do what it takes to get your baby workin again...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Turning a task into an adventure is always fun.

No doubt there's lots of good techs in LA. I've always been fortunate enough to live in a metropolitan area where I can thrown a rock in any one direction and come close to hitting a music store.
    That's what I miss about that area...besides grabbin hot milf tits at 0200 at the Circle K
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!