Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Default New Frets on a Wolfgang?

I was just wondering if anyone here has refretted their Wolfgang with anything other than the stock fret size. I am just about due for a refret and am considering throwing 6100 fretwire on there. Any thoughts or experiences?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Absolutely NOTHING WRONG with a Dunlop 6100. Fantastic fret!

Just out of curiosity, why would you go with something that's wider? The 6100 is a wider version of the 6105, or the "Wolfgang fret".

It's all about the "height" for me. I don't know why you'd go with something wider than the Dunlop 6105s. I guess I don't have anything to add to this other than confusion or preference. The frets on your Wolfgang are simply the best, period. I'm not even a Wolfgang "fan-boy", and I can tell you that. They have the magical gift of being "tall" like a Jumbo fret, yet are "narrow" like an old Fender vintage fret. I had the midget frets on my EBMM ripped-out and replaced with the Dunlop 6105s.

** PS: I've said this ad naseum, but the Warmoth 6105s are NOT the same as Dunlop 6105s. STAY AWAY from the Warmoths, unless you hate Rocky, love Ivan Drago, and like to drink camel puke!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    Absolutely NOTHING WRONG with a Dunlop 6100. Fantastic fret!

Just out of curiosity, why would you go with something that's wider? The 6100 is a wider version of the 6105, or the "Wolfgang fret".

It's all about the "height" for me. I don't know why you'd go with something wider than the Dunlop 6105s. I guess I don't have anything to add to this other than confusion or preference. The frets on your Wolfgang are simply the best, period. I'm not even a Wolfgang "fan-boy", and I can tell you that. They have the magical gift of being "tall" like a Jumbo fret, yet are "narrow" like an old Fender vintage fret. I had the midget frets on my EBMM ripped-out and replaced with the Dunlop 6105s.

** PS: I've said this ad naseum, but the Warmoth 6105s are NOT the same as Dunlop 6105s. STAY AWAY from the Warmoths, unless you hate Rocky, love Ivan Drago, and like to drink camel puke!!!
    I like the height of the 6105 and I see your point. The reason I was considering the 6100 is that I was playing a friend's guitar with 6100s on it and loved how they felt. Who knows, maybe I'll just refret with the 6105 and get a different guitar with 6100 fretwire.

How does Warmoth get away with numbering their fretwire like Dunlop's? The specs aren't even close.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I had mine done by a local. He did a great job and used wire that was almost identical. Perfect, although they do fell wider than the stock frets. Cost me $315.FYI...