Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Year to the Day Live During VHIII Tour

    So when VHIII came out one of the songs that immediately hit me was YTTD. When the tour was announced all me and my buddy could talk about was "oh jeez, I hope they play YTTD." When we got to the show we had a blast and when the finally began to play YTTD we sat back and braced ourselves. Then, the air got let out of the balloon when Ed did his obligatory solo during this song. We left that night having had a fantastic time but neither of us could help feel that they couldn't have come up with a worst spot for the solo. And all these years later I still think two things:

    1. That song is all about tension. The tension builds and builds and then is released at the end during the outro with Cherone's "365" chants and Ed's aggressive licks. By placing the solo in the middle of the song they dilluted the impact of the song as a whole as well as of the solos themselves which brings me to

    2. During that tour I would have been completely ok with having no big solo at all. It was the only time Ed seemed disinterested and the whole thing seemed forced and trite. Especially since all he did was perform the "big 3" instrumental bits. I would have mapped out the set list like this:

    Perform VHIII in its entirety, leave the stage, come back with a blazing encore of Everybody Wants Some and then gone. Done. This is the New Van Halen. See you next time. You know what I mean?

    I know the overwhelming majority of you think I'm stupid for liking the record and tour so much so I guess I'm talking to the other 3 people who also liked VHIII.

  2. #2
    Hot For Teacher snare812's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.19.03
    Age
    44
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    279
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Too many
    Last Online

    11.22.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Likes
    24
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    hey bro...you aint stupid for liking the 3 record and tour so much. I love it just as much and I hear ya on the YTTD solo spot...kinda popped the tension in the song......otherwise....3 was disaster of a masterpeice and i'll always stick behind it.


    as a van halen fan.

    To the VH III haters, I'm not implying that you are not a fan if you do not like that record.... so calm down. ;^)

    VHLinks rules!

    carry on.

  3. #3
    Banned!
    Join Date
    04.27.07
    Location
    At my house
    Posts
    7,262
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    So when VHIII came out one of the songs that immediately hit me was YTTD. When the tour was announced all me and my buddy could talk about was "oh jeez, I hope they play YTTD." When we got to the show we had a blast and when the finally began to play YTTD we sat back and braced ourselves. Then, the air got let out of the balloon when Ed did his obligatory solo during this song. We left that night having had a fantastic time but neither of us could help feel that they couldn't have come up with a worst spot for the solo. And all these years later I still think two things:

    1. That song is all about tension. The tension builds and builds and then is released at the end during the outro with Cherone's "365" chants and Ed's aggressive licks. By placing the solo in the middle of the song they dilluted the impact of the song as a whole as well as of the solos themselves which brings me to

    2. During that tour I would have been completely ok with having no big solo at all. It was the only time Ed seemed disinterested and the whole thing seemed forced and trite. Especially since all he did was perform the "big 3" instrumental bits. I would have mapped out the set list like this:

    Perform VHIII in its entirety, leave the stage, come back with a blazing encore of Everybody Wants Some and then gone. Done. This is the New Van Halen. See you next time. You know what I mean?

    I know the overwhelming majority of you think I'm stupid for liking the record and tour so much so I guess I'm talking to the other 3 people who also liked VHIII.

    Oh, I love YTTD too! I'll agree that the solo should've been in a different spot, it did make the song and solo lose some of the impact.

    Ed's solo is one of my favorite things to see. I think you have a great idea, but for me, his solo itself would be something I believe most people would miss a lot. I think during the VHlll tour, the solo should've been placed somewhere else during the show.

  4. #4
    Baseball Season!
    Join Date
    06.22.06
    Age
    47
    Location
    Cedar Bluff, VA
    Posts
    1,330
    Favorite VH Album

    VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

    05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    YTTD is the best song on III. Slightly ahead of Fire in the Hole.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

    "Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

    "He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

  5. #5
    Eruption smme5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.12.02
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    761
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Oh, I love YTTD too! I'll agree that the solo should've been in a different spot, it did make the song and solo lose some of the impact.

    Ed's solo is one of my favorite things to see. I think you have a great idea, but for me, his solo itself would be something I believe most people would miss a lot. I think during the VHlll tour, the solo should've been placed somewhere else during the show.
    Get out troll. You are not wanted.

  6. #6
    Banned!
    Join Date
    04.27.07
    Location
    At my house
    Posts
    7,262
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    Get out troll. You are not wanted.

    Lol

    Oh, would you quit with the troll stuff please.

  7. #7
    Baseball Season!
    Join Date
    06.22.06
    Age
    47
    Location
    Cedar Bluff, VA
    Posts
    1,330
    Favorite VH Album

    VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

    05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    Get out troll. You are not wanted.
    Relax man. Bret has already said that there's no evidence Kimmie isn't who she claims to be.

    She's not a troll. Get over it.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

    "Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

    "He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

  8. #8
    Eruption smme5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.12.02
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    761
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    Relax man. Bret has already said that there's no evidence Kimmie isn't who she claims to be.

    She's not a troll. Get over it.
    I beg to differ and so do many others.

  9. #9
    Eruption Wolfgang_'99's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.29.06
    Age
    24
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,019
    Favorite VH Album

    II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Umm...
    Last Online

    06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    YTTD has a really rip and tear solo. I love it, I also love III.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

    Bands I've seen:

    VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

    Proud Threetard

    5150

  10. #10
    On Fire
    Join Date
    05.02.05
    Posts
    395
    Last Online

    04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    That's the biggest gripe I had for that tour; I hated Ed playing his solo during the song and I hated that he split Eruption into two parts with something else in the middle. I actually got a little "offended" by it; it bugged. Otherwise, that was a damn fine tour.

  11. #11
    Romeo Delight Padre Atilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.29.06
    Age
    30
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    81
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Fire In The Hole
    Last Online

    04.30.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    great song, you described it very well broken9500, love the version with the solo n the Unchained Monsters bootleg

  12. #12
    Hot For Teacher IntoTheEther's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.07
    Posts
    287
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Judgement Day, Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    04.29.10 @ 08:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    they played straight through YTTD when I saw them in Australia. Are you saying they stopped the song midway for Ed to play 316/Eruption/Cathedral etc. then went back into the song...?
    'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig

    "Van Halen is the 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our driving' kinda music!" - Roth

    “I was trying to take the band in a direction that I thought was appropriate, and Roth was trying to take the band in more of a Las Vegas direction. And there he is.” - Ed


    I - On Fire
    II - Light Up the Sky
    WACF - Romeo Delight
    Fair Warning - Dirty Movies
    Diver Down - ....lol
    1984 - House Of Pain
    RDM3410 - Mailman
    5150 - 5150 (LWAN)
    OU812 - Mine All Mine
    FUCK - Judgement Day
    Balance - Crossing Over
    III - Fire In The Hole

    ---

    Demos - Big Trouble
    Best Of I - CGTSNM
    Best Of II - Learning To See

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,185
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Likes
    1,827
    Liked 1,475 Times in 900 Posts

    Default

    From what I remember, they started playing Year to the Day, then went into Ed's solo but then back into Year to the Day and finished the song off. Personally, I enjoyed hearing it that way.

    This song also sounded better live than on the album (soundwise).
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    From what I remember, they started playing Year to the Day, then went into Ed's solo but then back into Year to the Day and finished the song off. Personally, I enjoyed hearing it that way.

    This song also sounded better live than on the album (soundwise).
    Yes that's how it went down...they began playing the song, went into its solo and then gary, mike and al slipped off stage and left ed to do his big three solo bits...then they slipped back on and went back into year to the day.

    I didn't care for it much...

  15. #15
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,710
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    On the MTV "Live at the Ten Spot," YTTD was fantastic. Eddie, and the whole band for that matter, ripped big time on this tune. Judging by the way they came out of commercial and into the song, I think Ed did his solo before they went into YTTD. At least it seemed that way to me. I also agree that the tune seemed to have more of a fuller sound when played live. In fact, the whole VHIII CD seemed too "compressed" if that's the right word. I really like VHIII and unfortunately missed the tour. Sadly, I'll probably never hear any version of the band playing that well again.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. A year to the day Live
    By OU812fan in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01.24.06, 05:46 PM
  2. =VH= TOUR THIS YEAR!
    By C5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03.05.05, 09:41 AM
  3. About the "Fanatic" on VHIII tour
    By mk5 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03.02.05, 06:12 PM
  4. VHIII Tour
    By Fabulous Shadow aka VHL in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 10.19.02, 08:29 AM
  5. VHIII tour boots
    By track 5 in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04.20.00, 04:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •